My Herbert got that brown sound

• Thread starter Thread starter duesentrieb
  • Start date Start date
duesentrieb
duesentrieb
:D

We just measured the voltage in our rehearsal bunker (old US army ammo bunker) - and when the whole band starts the voltage drops from 230V to 190V . . . ~20% less.

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it, it loses a lot of its tightness this way . . . but the bunker is located way off any civilazation, so I guess that I have to live with it.
I wondered why it did sound different than I was used to it, thats why we measured.

So if your amp sounds "funny" with your band and you are running a fat PA (like us), just check the voltage from time to time . . .

Come on, Olaf. You got skillz.

Build something to fix the voltage fluctuations.

I think voltages in houses vary all the time and alot of guys loving their amp one day and hating it the next might have alot to do with this.

>|<>QBB<
-=MYK=-":d6bbc said:
Come on, Olaf. You got skillz.

Build something to fix the voltage fluctuations.
From Salinas and Aptos,California to Germany...Guten Tag, Olaf.

Guten Tag. :)

My bassman uses a Phonic whatever. I'll try it and see if it solves the problem. Its much cheaper than the Furman stuff - curious if it handles the Wattage of Herbert though :D

>|<>QBB<
simbasa":13177 said:
I think voltages in houses vary all the time and alot of guys loving their amp one day and hating it the next might have alot to do with this.
Yeah, in my home its +/- 5% max. Not 20% :D

>|<>QBB<
duesentrieb":28f05 said:
>|<>QBB<
Yeah, in my home its +/- 5% max. Not 20% :D
Yes, 20% will give you that brown sound. Ironically, I seem to notice tonal differences in Mesa amps with the 'bold/spongy' switches the most with voltage irregularity. Not talking about using the switch itself. :lol:

thanks for posting that info olaf. i think alot of players don't take that into consideration. we like to think that voltage is constant.. and it isn't. we also like to think that the polarity is always what it's supposed to be too. :D
if you play in older clubs it's pretty common to find problems with the way they are wired. i carry a polarity tester with me and check the outlets just to make sure they're correct.

Maybe someone could event a Pedal that gives your amp 100V Boost! :o :o :o or a -30V cut! :x :o

>|<>QBB<
metalpoida":c7182 said:
Maybe someone could event a Pedal that gives your amp 100V Boost! :o :o :o or a -30V cut! :x :o

That's a great idea! A voltage adjustment pedal!!!

Get a Furman, or a Phonic, they seem to be cool. Been using a Furman AR2306 for this exact problem for several years now!

OH, Hi Olaf :)

Hi Yoeri.

Seems my bassman can get the Phonic things 50% off :D

>|<>QBB<
duesentrieb":77d6f said:
:D

We just measured the voltage in our rehearsal bunker (old US army ammo bunker) - and when the whole band starts the voltage drops from 230V to 190V . . . ~20% less.

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I hate it, it loses a lot of its tightness this way . . . but the bunker is located way off any civilazation, so I guess that I have to live with it.
I wondered why it did sound different than I was used to it, thats why we measured.

So if your amp sounds "funny" with your band and you are running a fat PA (like us), just check the voltage from time to time . . .

Military issue variac for Herbert :P

Putting strain on the power grid while playing.....now that is metal!!!!!!! :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....while playing last night the following items were powered up......

MK IV
VHT 2/50/2
Gmajor
Whammy
MI Audio boost
2 4x12 cabs

Practice rig = 200 watts and about 15 amps of draw :D

>|<>QBB<
lordriffenstein":9b01f said:
Get a Furman, or a Phonic, they seem to be cool. Been using a Furman AR2306 for this exact problem for several years now!

OH, Hi Olaf :)
Woa - that Furman thing costs 699 € :eek:

I guess I've found an alternative unit at Thomann . . .

http://www.thomann.de/de/the_tracks_dinopower.htm

perfect for old Marshalls running with 220V. And almost good for my Diezels, just 4-5% difference then . . .

Back