I'm taking lessons again.

• Thread starter Thread starter Gainfreak
  • Start date Start date
falserevrg has been helping me out with some hardcore theory over aim and now the fretboard is making sense and my melodic playing has gotten better by leaps and bounds

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":d45ad said:
After comming back from NAMM, I decided to take lessons in hopes of taking my playing to the next level.(been playing the same shit for 20 years!) That said, since I'm to lazy to learn from books.... Methinks Getting a teacher was the way to go!

That is all!!

:rawk:

It always amazes me when a really great player starts taking lessons again. I guess learning how to play really is a never ending journey...good for you. :D

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":6b2ac said:
>|<>QBB<
Yeah, I have a huge learning curve ahead of me!

I hear you, Finding the time is a pain in the ass!

yeah, it's difficult to find a teacher i can really learn much from...and the one guy i wanna take lessons with has a HEAVILY booked schedule so there's just no way that's happening anytime soon

here lately i've really tried to find some good players around to hook up with just to jam tho, i think that could very well be the next best thing for me

Well...found my guy and I start next Thursday night!! I am very excited to start up again and I want to focus on rhythm playing mostly....I want to be jazz metal like John :D

Here is the dude....

Ryan has been playing guitar for over 18 years and has been active in several semiprofessional bands since the mid-90's. His teaching style blends traditional foundations with modern technique and utilizes a system of SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-framed) goals which ensures that the student comfortably meets their goals while allowing them to track their progress and minimize distractions.

Ryan's earliest instruction on the guitar came from local teachers Ron Stebbins and Pat Russo. While attending Fairfield University, he studied with respected jazzman Brian Torff and session musician George Naha. For the past five years, Ryan has been exploring the possibilities of the 7-stringed guitar with his band Catalyst, whose debut CD should be released by summer. He has previously recorded and toured with the critically acclaimed tech-metal band Capharnaum and Connecticut hardcore/metal pioneers Crossthread. Some of his favorite guitarists include Chuck Schuldiner, Randy Rhoads and Mikael Akerfeldt.

With years of experience playing music on the more aggressive end of the musical spectrum, Ryan is passionate about - and versatile in - many different styles/genres. From classic, blues-based rock to modern metal, all points between and beyond, Ryan is eager to help you become the guitarist you wish to be - whether you've never held a guitar before or you're an experienced player looking for that extra edge.

I'm taking lessons from Guthrie right now (via Amazing Slowdowner). I've almost got the intro to "Waves" down now... Damn all that sliding is a bitch...

Steve

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":bdff1 said:
Well...found my guy and I start next Thursday night!! I am very excited to start up again and I want to focus on rhythm playing mostly....I want to be jazz metal like John :D

Here is the dude....

Ryan has been playing guitar for over 18 years and has been active in several semiprofessional bands since the mid-90's. His teaching style blends traditional foundations with modern technique and utilizes a system of SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-framed) goals which ensures that the student comfortably meets their goals while allowing them to track their progress and minimize distractions.

Ryan's earliest instruction on the guitar came from local teachers Ron Stebbins and Pat Russo. While attending Fairfield University, he studied with respected jazzman Brian Torff and session musician George Naha. For the past five years, Ryan has been exploring the possibilities of the 7-stringed guitar with his band Catalyst, whose debut CD should be released by summer. He has previously recorded and toured with the critically acclaimed tech-metal band Capharnaum and Connecticut hardcore/metal pioneers Crossthread. Some of his favorite guitarists include Chuck Schuldiner, Randy Rhoads and Mikael Akerfeldt.

With years of experience playing music on the more aggressive end of the musical spectrum, Ryan is passionate about - and versatile in - many different styles/genres. From classic, blues-based rock to modern metal, all points between and beyond, Ryan is eager to help you become the guitarist you wish to be - whether you've never held a guitar before or you're an experienced player looking for that extra edge.

clips? :hys:

Ya reckon some of that Theory stuff might help me understand why so many songs are written with G, C and D??? :?

>|<>QBB<
Strat N My Stuff":a6cc3 said:
Ya reckon some of that Theory stuff might help me understand why so many songs are written with G, C and D??? :?

Only if you are playing country music :hys:

>|<>QBB<
Strat N My Stuff":9caf2 said:
All songs in G, C and D have been written, it's used up...we need more keys! :broke:

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":62f2f said:
>|<>QBB<

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=164566

I was serious but researching now holy crap he plays in a cookie monster band :o WTF did I sign up for?!?!?!?!?!?

The cookie monster band should be the least of your worries. not to be a dick but if that is him soloing, I don;t think that he is the guy for you. Seriously.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":cd4d9 said:

Here is the dude....

Capharnaum is a Killer band! Good luck with it. :)

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":5cbe1 said:
>|<>QBB<

The cookie monster band should be the least of your worries. not to be a dick but if that is him soloing, I don;t think that he is the guy for you. Seriously.
He sounds like a great metal rhythm player...but agreed!

Scott!! WTF!!!! :x

:lol:

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":20285 said:
>|<>QBB<

You think??? :D

I almost crapped when I heard this after reading that bio from the store!!!!!

Oh well....back to the search!

>|<>QBB<
ENDITOL":42f6d said:
>|<>QBB<

Capharnaum is a Killer band! Good luck with it. :)

I dig the rhythm work but I am looking for another direction, more fusion / jazz based rhythm knowledge.

I will state that I am looking for Rhythm lessons and not lead work at this time, I am still growing with what I have learned and have may thing on the table that I can work on without instruction.

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":9c181 said:
>|<>QBB<He sounds like a great metal rhythm player...but agreed!

AT LEAST I AM TRYING TO BETTER MYSELF :x

You hurt my feelings :cry:

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":8d017 said:
>|<>QBB<He sounds like a great metal rhythm player...but agreed!

I'm glad It's just not me. As with many bands though maybe this guy did not play on the track and joined the band later?(Im reaching here but what can ya do!)
Other then that, the solo was complete shite. Im not even talking about technique... just how it was put together was a mess IMHO. I would expect him to be way better then that based on the bio hahaha :D

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":018fe said:
>|<>QBB<

AT LEAST I AM TRYING TO BETTER MYSELF :x

You hurt my feelings :cry:

thats why we are looking out for you brother!. If you want to play in a death metal band... this guy can show ya some stuff :D. I would look elsware for fusion my brother!!

How far are you from White plains?

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":8acb0 said:
>|<>QBB<

thats why we are looking out for you brother!. If you want to play in a death metal band... this guy can show ya some stuff :D. I would look elsware for fusion my brother!!

How far are you from White plains?

I would have to do something with my mullet that is for sure :D

White Plains? About an hour on the Hutch with no traffic. If the guy was killer and willing to do bi-weekly I would be game. I want a Greg Howe type player for sure to beat my ass.

Back