Retubing my 5150

• Thread starter Thread starter Drewky
  • Start date Start date
D
Drewky
Well my power tubes finally started giving out on me, so it's time to get some new ones. I was wondering what everyone here uses. Also some websites that i could order tubes from would be nice too, this is the first time i've had to replace them so i'm completely at a loss as to what i need to do. Any help would be appreciated. I'm also thinking about replacing the pre-amp tubes also.

Drew

so, JJ6l6's so far..any other opinions on the matter. my first 5150 had Groove Tubes in it, which i didn't like. This one has stock tubes from when they first released the 5150's. This church near me bough the half-stack, realized it wasn't what they wanted and shoved it in a closet. I like the way the tubes it has in it sound, so if anyone could tell me what kind of tubes the 5150 originally came with that would be nice. They don't have any brand name on them, but they do say 6l6GCR Made In China.

Drew

i had some chinese sumthin-or-other in mine...sounded great. then i had some jj's...sounded great...all 6l6 tho. :2thumbs:

JJ's are overrated in the 5150 IMO, and JerryP has said there are problems with how the JJ's fit into the tube sockets.

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":1e757 said:
JJ's are overrated in the 5150 IMO, and JerryP has said there are problems with how the JJ's fit into the tube sockets.

they weren't in for very long and i sold it cuz it was all fukked up...not the tubes or anything but it sounded pretty great while it was working. maybe over time i woulda hated them? sweet avatar btw!

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":c17ea said:

What would you reccomend then?

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":4bd6d said:

When I put JJ's my old 5150, they were VERY loose. Felt like they were going to fall right out of the sockets. I replaced them with Electro Harmonix and it sounded good. But I did have good luck with JJ's in the pre on that amp.

:)

did anybidy say Doug's tubes? (yeah I know they did)

Call Doug.

I have used Westinghouse, Winged SEDs, Groove tubes and Chinese "Mesa" tubes.

the Mesa tubes and the SEDs sounded the best to me.

Although Mesa rebrands Chinese ?Ruby? tubes, they cherry pick them. So, you can get any old Chinese tube, but the Mesas are going to be the sweet ones.

Call Doug, he'll tell you everythign you want o know and more.

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":91680 said:
>|<>QBB<

www.dougstubes.com

Call Doug up, he's a nice dude and he knows his stuff.

AND he will sell you what YOU want, not what will make hime the most money.

>|<>QBB<
again with this":c3a62 said:
>|<>QBB<

AND he will sell you what YOU want, not what will make hime the most money.

awesome, thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it.

The NOS RFT is a bit too expensive for my current budget. Would putting the 9th gen chinese throughout be a noticable difference from having the RFT in it?

Drew

Call Doug and get the TAD 6L6WCG-STR and some Tungsol 12AX7's.
Jerry

Back