I just want to be like Vlad!

• Thread starter Thread starter ratter
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":20201 said:
>|<>QBB< :lol:

potato vodka...furry hat...model of Red Square on the mantel.

:D

I deleted the tracking number, do you still have it? I wanted to check to see if they lied to me :x

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":7891c said:
>|<>QBB< :lol:

potato vodka...furry hat...model of Red Square on the mantel.

HOLY FUCK ADAM! You made me spit out my coffee! LOL! :D

brezhnev.jpg

Mike, that amp looks amazing. You have pics of the insides?

This is one of the seller's pics...before installing the rich mod. I haven't cracked it open myself yet.

sbguts.jpg

>|<>QBB<
ratter":a0dd3 said:
This is one of the seller's pics...before installing the rich mod. I haven't cracked it open myself yet.

sbguts.jpg

Very clean! Congrats!
Just an FYI, I altered 2 things on my amp. One of them being a mod to the Rich Mod. I'm not sure how applicable they are to you Super Bass (I'm guessing they're close) but I can give you some info.

Absolutely, please send me whatever you've got. I picked up another hotplate and the hotplate at -16 sounds better than the rich mod when turned down which again leads me to think that there might be something wrong with the rich mod. I want to get more into it and learn to tweak it a bit but I've barely had a chance to even play it yet.

>|<>QBB<
ratter":bc322 said:
Absolutely, please send me whatever you've got. I picked up another hotplate and the hotplate at -16 sounds better than the rich mod when turned down which again leads me to think that there might be something wrong with the rich mod. I want to get more into it and learn to tweak it a bit but I've barely had a chance to even play it yet.

Basically what I did was up the size of the bias resistors that the rich mod attaches to 470k. What that does is makes the rich mod out of the circuit when fully cranked because the resistance adds up to about 220k which is what the stock bias resistors are in a Super Lead (they may be different in a Super Bass). The other thing I did was move the purple negative feedback wire to the 16 ohm tap. That made the amp cleaner and clearer-sounding. But you can experiment, by default it should be on the 8 ohm tap I believe, mine was on the 4 before I moved it.

As for the Rich Mod, it's still NOT as quiet as you'd think. It reminds me a bit of the stock 2203 MV. Where it's fizzy until it's too loud. That's how mine is. Which is why I use the Hotplate in conjunction with it. Also, greenbacks help alot.

Cool, thanks for the info. My idea of a 'quiet' SL/SB is with the volume cranked and the HP on -12 or -16. Still really loud by most standards. At those volumes, the HP sounds better than the MV right now. Combined, they work alright.

Either way, not really a big deal...if I want very quiet I'll just run the amp clean and use fuzz....but I'm slowly gathering info to try and learn the in's and out's of the MV and other components...

>|<>QBB<
ratter":bc567 said:
Cool, thanks for the info. My idea of a 'quiet' SL/SB is with the volume cranked and the HP on -12 or -16. Still really loud by most standards. At those volumes, the HP sounds better than the MV right now. Combined, they work alright.

Either way, not really a big deal...if I want very quiet I'll just run the amp clean and use fuzz....but I'm slowly gathering info to try and learn the in's and out's of the MV and other components...

Hmmm... that doesn't sound right to me. The Rich Mod is WAY quieter than that and still sounds awesome. Double check the wiring. It's easy to mix up the wiring. I've had to go back and fix it several times. Also, at that volume, my Rich Mod sounds better than the Hotplate alone and the amp cranked to HOLY FOOOK!! So definitely double check what you have the pot wired to.

>|<>QBB<
Vrad":d77ce said:
>|<>QBB<

Hmmm... that doesn't sound right to me. The Rich Mod is WAY quieter than that and still sounds awesome. Double check the wiring. It's easy to mix up the wiring. I've had to go back and fix it several times. Also, at that volume, my Rich Mod sounds better than the Hotplate alone and the amp cranked to HOLY FOOOK!! So definitely double check what you have the pot wired to.

That's good to know. Soon as I get a chance, I'll crack it open. And takes some pics too...

Also, at first I thought maybe it was just a Super Bass vs. Super Lead thing. But Telephant doesn't seem to have issues with his MV...

>|<>QBB<
ratter":ef004 said:
>|<>QBB<

That's good to know. Soon as I get a chance, I'll crack it open. And takes some pics too...

Yeah.... Mine sounds a bit thin at super low volumes kinda like a JMP or 2203 does, but turned up a bit it starts to sound really great! The tone remains pretty much the same all throughout the taper of the pot. It really sounds the same cranked as at lower volumes.

Take some pics, or sketch where the wires are connected to and I can tell you if it's right.

>|<>QBB<
ratter":be951 said:
Also, at first I thought maybe it was just a Super Bass vs. Super Lead thing. But Telephant doesn't seem to have issues with his MV...

Not sure if Shea has the Rich mod on his, but I don't think it's an SB vs SL thing. The differences between the 2 are pretty slight.

>|<>QBB<
Vrad":6407d said:
>|<>QBB<

HOLY FUCK ADAM! You made me spit out my coffee! LOL! :D

brezhnev.jpg

Mike, that amp looks amazing. You have pics of the insides?
Well good! You've done that to me a few times! :D

Back