JVM Owners share your thoughts

• Thread starter Thread starter yngzaklynch
  • Start date Start date
yngzaklynch
yngzaklynch
So far I'm very impreseed. The FX loop didn't seem as simple as I'm used to but I guess it's really not all that difficult to grasp.

The Clean in green mode... rediculously good. The clean channel offers more than I had hoped for.

The crunch... this is still my mystery channel. I can nail the JCM800 tone with it. I just haven't figured out where the sweet spots are and where I'm gonna set the knobs. Tomorrow the crunch channel is going to be my main focus. Still looking for that killer Plexi type tone.

OD1 and OD2 are set almost identically. Res at 11:00, Pres at 3:00 low volumes but noon at loud volumes, bass at noon, mids at 11:00 treble at 2:00, gain is around noon. Really don't use the green mode for either but love both the orange and red for both channels.

The reverb is better than I expected. It's not like have a Lexicon but still pretty good.

The low volumes tone is good but it really becomes a beast with some volume

Anyways this where I'm at so far. Seems like the the more I use it the more I find a more happening tone. I'm sure these settings are only the begining.

I don't own a JVM, so take this with a grain of salt!

I'd write down all my settings/take pictures, and then put everything at Noon, close your eyes, and start tweaking. I think that with that many knobs and options, it's really easy to get lost in the tweaking zone, and not play the guitar. Try just grabbing your favorite guitar, and with an tone in mind, tweak to what your feeling.

That might sound really stupid and not help at all, I don't know. I just felt like saying it.

Oh man don't misunbderstand I can play all day with the OD1 and OD2 channels and not touch a knob. I'm good. But this amp has that much flexibilty. There is so many tones to be had it's off the charts. But believe me, I'm up and runnin.

Oh yeah, I know you're happy with what you've got. I'm just saying, sometimes at least I find that when I'm looking for something new in an amp I've had for awhile, just starting from scratch with an idea of what I'm going for can lead to good results.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I hope I didn't come of like a dick, I really didn't mean too!

>|<>QBB<
CaseyCor":646bd said:
Oh yeah, I know you're happy with what you've got. I'm just saying, sometimes at least I find that when I'm looking for something new in an amp I've had for awhile, just starting from scratch with an idea of what I'm going for can lead to good results.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

I hope I didn't come of like a dick, I really didn't mean too!
No man not at all. What am I trying to achieve? Finding all the usable tones in the amp and I can already tell we're talking way more than any other amp I've owned.

Haha, good. I'm not feeling too good, and i'm in a bit of a bad mood, so I apologize if I say anything offensive!

Yeah, it seems like (by what I've heard, anyway) that you've got a lot of work on your hands to find everything usable in that bad boy, for sure!

I used to have 2 Lexicon Reflexs. They were a cheaper Lexicon multi effect rack unit that Lexicon no longer makes. Man was I dumb for parting with them. Not only did thos cheap unit have a sweet reverb and delay but they also actuslly had my favorite chorus of all time!

The magic stomp is pretty good but if things ever settle down here I probably will buy another Lexicon.

I just gave the Crunch channel a pretty good workout and it kills with my Keeley SD-1.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Jim, how liquid can you get with the JVM? Close to the lead channel of the MK IV?

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":51aac said:
Ok Jim, how liquid can you get with the JVM? Close to the lead channel of the MK IV?

I still give the Mk IV the nod for "liquid". This is a different amp. That said it is still very easy to play through. It's not stiff or spongy. Don't worry... you'll be able to cook through it. You'll see what I mean when you get it.

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":abb0b said:
>|<>QBB<

I still give the Mk IV the nod for "liquid". This is a different amp. That said it is still very easy to play through. It's not stiff or spongy. Don't worry... you'll be able to cook through it. You'll see what I mean when you get it.

Excellent news!

Yeah, I have not played a tube amp as easy to play at the MK IV for sure, pretty high benchmark.

My friend is bringing his over next Friday so I will be able to try one in about a week. :D

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":d93f5 said:
>|<>QBB<

Sounds like something I would do. :lol: :D

If you're serious about it i just have to wait till the amp comes in on Steve's order which hopfully should be within a week.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":544ac said:
>|<>QBB<

If you're serious about it i just have to wait till the amp comes in on Steve's order which hopfully should be within a week.

Haha, no no, I meant that selling an amp before you get it is something I would do. :lol:

>|<>QBB<
Megadeth7684":30fbb said:
>|<>QBB<

Haha, no no, I meant that selling an amp before you get it is something I would do. :lol:

Oh, yeah that too. I doubt it will last long since i will leave it in the box. But the JVM is coming out to some serious mixed reviews. Lots of people claim the VM sounds better while the JVM is more versatile. And i see some people on HCAF claim that their DSL's sound better, i guess I'm not suprised.

Maybe the best thing to do is buy a JCM900 dirt cheap and have it hacked and modded.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":2edc0 said:
>|<>QBB<

Oh, yeah that too. I doubt it will last long since i will leave it in the box. But the JVM is coming out to some serious mixed reviews. Lots of people claim the VM sounds better while the JVM is more versatile. And i see some people on HCAF claim that their DSL's sound better, i guess I'm not suprised.

Maybe the best thing to do is buy a JCM900 dirt cheap and have it hacked and modded.

I haven't really been following any of the JVM stuff. Seems like a good amp, I'm just not a huge fan of Marshalls. I had a Voodoo Modded JCM 900 SL-X and it sounded terrible. :neutral:

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":6f3bb said:
>|<>QBB<

VM and JVMs are not comparable, of course people will say that the VM gets a much better Plexi sound and that the JVM is much better for death metal... but that doesn't mean that any of those amps are better than the other nor they pretend to be, they are just plainly different amps and targeted for different kind of musicians. Some people that prefer the VM will react saying that the JVM is cr@p and the other way round, but we are all smart enough to know what we are talking about (aren't we?)

What you guys have to do is to place an order of 10 VMs and then compare them to the JVMs :lol:

Back