JVM Owners share your thoughts

• Thread starter Thread starter yngzaklynch
  • Start date Start date
If I was to generalize the 4 channels.... You get a great clean, you get a JCM800 in the crunch channel, you get a super high gain JCM800 in OD1 and then OD2 is a darker version of OD1 with a bit more gain. Again thats the generalized description. I don't think you'll find it very similar to a DSL/TSL. Not that you said it was. I'm just trying to be helpful to those that have yet to try one.

All I'm gonna say is it is totally worth trying out and if you get a chance to really mess with it and turn it up you just might like it...alot. So far OD2 is giving me the most trouble as far as getting a scooped tone. The manual says the mids are at 500 hz compared to other channels 650 hz. To me Od1 orange is the most 'natural' high gain tone that fits the voicing of this amp. Really ballsy crunch! As for a modern metal tone...I like my VHT better for that. I think it's totally worth the price, regardless.

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":78b08 said:
If I was to generalize the 4 channels.... You get a great clean, you get a JCM800 in the crunch channel, you get a super high gain JCM800 in OD1 and then OD2 is a darker version of OD1 with a bit more gain. Again thats the generalized description. I don't think you'll find it very similar to a DSL/TSL. Not that you said it was. I'm just trying to be helpful to those that have yet to try one.
Thats accurate to me except it does remind me of the crunch channel on the TSL I had years ago ,though.

>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":b7836 said:
>|<>QBB<

If i can dial in the 2 Ecstasys I had....the equivelent of an amp with a tarp over the speaker cab....I can dial in anything :mrgreen:

Oh and OD1 and OD2 are more compressed where as the Crunch channel is pretty much a JCM800.

>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":77c08 said:
>|<>QBB<

I'm in on the group buy. Should be soon.

I'm looking at it from a different angle though. It's not my only amp.
I know I can dial it to what I like before even getting it...just based off what I heard so far and the fact that I had DSLs and TSLs and was able to make them work for me, no problem.

I see. I actually like the DSL, pretty well. The JVM is not my only amp either. I also have a low gain cameron superlead and your favorite. bogner xtc(100b)

>|<>QBB<
simbasa":ae0f7 said:
All I'm gonna say is it is totally worth trying out and if you get a chance to really mess with it and turn it up you just might like it...alot. So far OD2 is giving me the most trouble as far as getting a scooped tone. The manual says the mids are at 500 hz compared to other channels 650 hz. To me Od1 orange is the most 'natural' high gain tone that fits the voicing of this amp. Really ballsy crunch! As for a modern metal tone...I like my VHT better for that. I think it's totally worth the price, regardless.

I have played it cranked to room shaking levels and it still had a funky brittleness to it in the high gain settings. ymmv

>|<>QBB<
Jdub":9ca65 said:
>|<>QBB<

I have played it cranked to room shaking levels and it still had a funky brittleness to it in the high gain settings. ymmv
I hooked up both of my cabs and it's pretty killer but with my HW-b cab alone it is brittle. I like the V30s better for the high gain channels but the HW-b with Celestion G12 H-30s for clean and crunch channel.The two cabs together mix it very nicely for me.

>|<>QBB<
Jdub":3b978 said:
>|<>QBB<

I hve not noticed this in mine. But maybe it's there at volumes I haven't used yet. Is it possible that the amp is biased cold? Maybe just not the best tubes? I know the first JCM800 I got the EL34s would not even bias up to the nominal current value. We replaced all the tubes and it was a much fatter beast. I'm wondering how good the tubes are straight from the factory

>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":2cde9 said:
>|<>QBB<

Steve, a Marshall with pedals is a great sound, but you're limited with the type pedals you use.
Even then, you would need 12 different ones to even start to try and cop what this head does. None of the clips I heard sound fizzy, and the loop on any recent Marshall works fine.

You're comparing it to amps that gey ONE sound...
This gets 12. Cameron Marshall gets how many? One?

I'd still rather have one killer sound rather than 12 channels that are just ok. I still haven't heard the JVM yet or a Cameron so I'll have to wait to give my reviews. But your initial prediction that these amps were taking a piss all over Splawn, Cameron, etc doesn't seem to be holding up.

I definitely want to see a Cameron- JVM- Splawn shootout. You guys on the East Coast have to hook that up.

>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":4f8f2 said:
>|<>QBB<

Please, in sales alone they are going to get outsold.

Tonewise? I haven't heard any clip yet of a Splawn, Cameron or anything else that's so much better. IMO, they don't even sound like Marshalls anymore, just what some guy with a soldering iron thinks a Marshall should sound like.

That's cool. I wanted Marshall's flagship to add to the collection, not some passed around beat to fuck bastardized Marshall that looks like a Jr High science project.
I think you guys are biased without even playing them. Just get the amps all in one room and post a clip or video. Or better yet send me a Cameron and Splawn and I can test them for y'all. :mrgreen:

OMG are you kidding. I can't believe how many opinions are being posted by folks that haven't played it yet. Oh well... Doesn't matter. Some folks will play through the JVM and love it, while others won't like it. Thats the way it is for every amp.

>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":65efe said:
likewise, I can't believe some of the opinions of guy that have played the amp.
Squeals, compressed, etc

Whatever, I was just reading the thread till I got called out on an old statement I made.

Doug A uses the JVM, you'll be reading different accounts, believe me. It's all a crock of shit to me.

Touche (sp?)

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch":4de69 said:
>|<>QBB<

I hve not noticed this in mine. But maybe it's there at volumes I haven't used yet. Is it possible that the amp is biased cold? Maybe just not the best tubes? I know the first JCM800 I got the EL34s would not even bias up to the nominal current value. We replaced all the tubes and it was a much fatter beast. I'm wondering how good the tubes are straight from the factory

That is a good theory,but it does sound pretty juicy in the moderate gain levels on clean(red all dimed but presence and bass) and on crunch.. Being that is sounds good when cranked on clean and crunch tells me the preamp is the culprit.

I just had a nice hour blast off after wrk and it sounded really killer on od1 orange (all at noonish cept presence at 10am.) This yielded some killer high gain metal rythym mayhem) it is really the high gain, FAT, sweet searing lead tones that I have not found yet..

Maybe thats the way it is but I have wonder if the tubes are part of what you don't like unless you've checked the biasing or changed the preamp tubes??? I'm not arguing that you're wrong. I'm simply suggesting that maybe the tube compliment in your JVM isn't doing the amp justice.

I don't gig and don't use a lot of volume for prolong periods of time. But from the volumes I have gotten it to I really dig what I'm hearing.

>|<>QBB<
carlygtr56":875d3 said:
>|<>QBB<

Please, in sales alone they are going to get outsold.

Tonewise? I haven't heard any clip yet of a Splawn, Cameron or anything else that's so much better. IMO, they don't even sound like Marshalls anymore, just what some guy with a soldering iron thinks a Marshall should sound like.

That's cool. I wanted Marshall's flagship to add to the collection, not some passed around beat to fuck bastardized Marshall that looks like a Jr High science project.

Well yes, sales is how one company would outsell another. But Marshall can pay people to play their amps unlike smaller companies who sell their amps based on how they sound without advertising or endorsed players.

Sorry you feel i called you out, but you have been trashing Splawn and Camerons hard and it looks to me that owners of the those amps won't lose any sleep over a JVM.

And for me, if an amp didn't sound like a Marshall JCM900, DSL, or TSL then i wanted to hear it. I'm glad that guys like Cameron were tweaking and giving people what they wanted instead of putting out Crap like Marshall has for soo long. But again, I'll have to wait to give my opinions on how the JVM sounds.

>|<>QBB<
Jdub":ca5b1 said:
>|<>QBB<

Hi Scott,

Not too good this year. prety bad actually. How bout you?

My annual trek to Vermont for trout was a rained out bust but we worked hard and still found some nice 20-26" Browns.

Surf was sick.......Stripers and Blues stacked like cord wood all season due to a warm summer and a ton of bait.

Went to Key West and nailed two Bones and a 45-55 pound Tarpoon, had a lighting storm roll through and my freaking rod was buzzing due to the charge in the air.......

Not too bad :D

Yea the really high gain lead tones I am still looking for but OD1 orange is the best high gain on this amp so far for me both riffing and leads. I find the resonance pretty weak but it does differ in my two cabs. OD1 orange with my 2 cabs cranked = :D :D :D :D :D :D fuck, it sounds nice...... Real nice!

Back