JVM Owners share your thoughts

• Thread starter Thread starter yngzaklynch
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
danyeo":383aa said:
>|<>QBB<

I'd still rather have one killer sound rather than 12 channels that are just ok. I still haven't heard the JVM yet or a Cameron so I'll have to wait to give my reviews. But your initial prediction that these amps were taking a piss all over Splawn, Cameron, etc doesn't seem to be holding up.

Ok, here's my rant as a 2-hour JVM expert. :lol: :wink:

The thing about the 12 modes....JVM owners correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression after playing it is that the 12 modes are all pretty gradual gradations of tone. They're not drastic changes. Going from Crunch Yellow to Crunch Red is like going from a JCM800 on 6 to a JCM800 on 9. It's not like going from a JCM800 to an SLO or something. You could probably cop all three Crunch modes of the JVM with a regular 800. But you'd have to twist dials to do it. On the JVM you have to hit the button to do it.

For people that like switchable amps, you can't really ask for more. For people that are used to dealing with simpler amps, they might prefer tweaking amp dials a bit rather than switching "modes". But I don't think the amp is trying to do as much as one would think by seeing 40 knobs and switches on the front. It came across to me as a three-channel amp (since od1 and od2 are very similar to my ears) that gives you lots of switchable gradations within those three core sounds.

>|<>QBB<
yngzaklynch said:
Maybe thats the way it is but I have wonder if the tubes are part of what you don't like unless you've checked the biasing or changed the preamp tubes??? I'm not arguing that you're wrong. I'm simply suggesting that maybe the tube compliment in your JVM isn't doing the amp justice.

I don't gig and don't use a lot of volume for prolong periods of time. But from the volumes I have gotten it to I really dig what I'm hearing.[/qu

Hey man,

I hear ya. I am not knocking the amp..I think it is pretty damn killer. Just going through the paces with it sharing my initial impressions. Safe to say it is good at worst...

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":0ee43 said:
>|<>QBB<

Well yes, sales is how one company would outsell another. But Marshall can pay people to play their amps unlike smaller companies who sell their amps based on how they sound without advertising or endorsed players.

Sorry you feel i called you out, but you have been trashing Splawn and Camerons hard and it looks to me that owners of the those amps won't lose any sleep over a JVM.

And for me, if an amp didn't sound like a Marshall JCM900, DSL, or TSL then i wanted to hear it. I'm glad that guys like Cameron were tweaking and giving people what they wanted instead of putting out Crap like Marshall has for soo long. But again, I'll have to wait to give my opinions on how the JVM sounds.

Yes I have not played the amp Danny but I know what I heard 4 times at some volume and the JVM just has more color to its voicing then any Splawn I have heard......not knocking it but just stating what I heard. I will still be banging Mark's door when he gets the production Camerons running but if the amp I get is the same thing I heard it will not be leaving soon.

>|<>QBB<
ratter":a07fc said:
>|<>QBB<

The thing about the 12 modes....JVM owners correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression after playing it is that the 12 modes are all pretty gradual gradations of tone. They're not drastic changes. Going from Crunch Yellow to Crunch Red is like going from a JCM800 on 6 to a JCM800 on 9. It's not like going from a JCM800 to an SLO or something. You could probably cop all three Crunch modes of the JVM with a regular 800. But you'd have to twist dials to do it. On the JVM you have to hit the button to do it.

For people that like switchable amps, you can't really ask for more. For people that are used to dealing with simpler amps, they might prefer tweaking amp dials a bit rather than switching "modes". But I don't think the amp is trying to do as much as one would think by seeing 40 knobs and switches on the front. It came across to me as a three-channel amp (since od1 and od2 are very similar to my ears) that gives you lots of switchable gradations within those three core sounds.
Yup, I think this is all gradual gain the only difference being OD2 with lower mids... and slightly smoother. I noticed today the gain changes drastically at around 2 oclock on OD2 Red. Becomes really compressed and changes the tone. I will experiment on this for a lead tone....

Wow....the heavy hitters are here tonight :o

J-Dub, Snider...........cool to have you guys here!

>|<>QBB<
ratter":1c38f said:
>|<>QBB<

Well Said

Mike the only thing I would say to that is that the Crunch Red is way more gainy than either of the 2 JCM800 2203X's I've owned. But yeah you make a good point. At the end of the day it's really a bunch of shades of Marshall. If you want an open Marshall roar slam the front with a pedal using the crunch channel. Hell it doesn't even really need a pedal for hard rock. For more modern compressed tone used the OD2. For a tone thats in the middle of those two try OD1 Orange.

After reading some of these reviews I'm starting to think that my Uberkab is just what my amp should be used with. I'm not hearing the issues that others are having.

>|<>QBB<
donbarzini":bfb2a said:
I feel the same way, I'm still debating because the amp is so new whether to spend the money on a good set of tubes and have the thing re-biased. I'm not saying that it sounds really bad but I think it has way more potential.
Try the different cabs will make the most changes from what I have been experiencing. Mix, match, whatever.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":04c93 said:
Wow....the heavy hitters are here tonight :o

J-Dub, Snider...........cool to have you guys here!

Hey man,

Sounds like you had a killing season with the fish. That sounds awesome. warm water big game. mmm kill kill kill!! heheheheehehheheehnehhejhe

>|<>QBB<
Jdub":ad3d3 said:
>|<>QBB<

Hey man,

Sounds like you had a killing season with the fish. That sounds awesome. warm water big game. mmm kill kill kill!! heheheheehehheheehnehhejhe

Bro....I watched ESPN fishing for 20 years waiting for the day I landed a Tarpoon.......I was in tears when the guide grabed that fish!

Yeah, fed one of the Bones to the sharks, we had about four about the boat the whole morning. Landed a 5' spinner, sick fight :o

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":0b38b said:
>|<>QBB<

Bro....I watched ESPN fishing for 20 years waiting for the day I landed a Tarpoon.......I was in tears when the guide grabed that fish!

Yeah, fed one of the Bones to the sharks, we had about four about the boat the whole morning. Landed a 5' spinner, sick fight :o
:o :o

Holy cow. that sounds dreamy. Congrats. Man I have been literally crawling over snow,mud, sticker bushes, and icy boulders to sneak up ONwinter metalheards that still wont bite. One steelehead all season so far. compared to 47 on my best year. lame!!!

Bastards!!

So far the two cabs together sound amazing. I should hook up my a/b switch and fire up both amps at once.

Attachments

• DCP_0138.JPG
    DCP_0138.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 1,203
>|<>QBB<
snider":1ee81 said:
>|<>QBB<

I have to think that the best match with these new Marshall heads are the G12C loaded AVM cabs. Those Speakers are killer and they came in the Hendrix Stack but I soon discovered all of my amps sounded best through the bottom cab from the Hendrix Stack. These G12C loaded cabs are just starting to be realeased.

Big problem there though, aren't those Marshall's property and can only be had by buying the cab? I have a Diezel 412R H30 and Aiken 412 Greenback cab to try mine through and I want to hear the amp through MC90s.

>|<>QBB<
snider said:
>|<>QBB<

Those Speakers are killer and they came in the Hendrix Stack but I soon discovered all of my amps sounded best through the bottom cab from the Hendrix Stack. quote]

Even with mega-high gain amps? I'd think the GBs, whatever version they are would break up too much?

Been messing with the OD2 channel and here are the settings I used today. Hooked up the VHT after and I like that much better for metal tones. Marshall just does not do scooped tone that well to me. OD1 orange at these settings still kicks the most arse on JVM.

Attachments

• DCP_0140.JPG
    DCP_0140.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 1,205
>|<>QBB<
simbasa":90706 said:
Been messing with the OD2 channel and here are the settings I used today. Hooked up the VHT after and I like that much better for metal tones. Marshall just does not do scooped tone that well to me. OD1 orange at these settings still kicks the most arse on JVM.

Stick an EQ in the loop and scoop that sucker if you want scoopage :D

>|<>QBB<
simbasa":ec46d said:

VHT's do the scooped thing bettr than anything else imo. but for me I love midrange for guitar. My setting for od 2 are bass noon, treble 9am, mids 3pm, gain 10am

Now thats funny. Immediately after the demo what did i say? there is a weird brittleness to the top end... :lol:

Im still psyched to play this amp though.

>|<>QBB<
Jdub":a51a0 said:
>|<>QBB<

VHT's do the scooped thing bettr than anything else imo. but for me I love midrange for guitar. My setting for od 2 are bass noon, treble 9am, mids 3pm, gain 10am

Damn man where do you set the Presence knob??? I'm currently using Bass noon, mid 11:00 and treble 2:30

Back