CLIP: Triple XXX Ultra Channel

• Thread starter Thread starter drucifer
  • Start date Start date
drucifer
drucifer
http://www.cranusmetal.com/drucifer-triplexxxnmdj2.mp3

Same as my last Marshall clip, except different amp (duh!) and no boost. Also, MD 421 instead of SM57.

Sounds good, I wish I coulda got my XXX to sound like that when I had it. Prolly wouldn't have sold it. Nice playing too!

Sounds better than your last XXX clip, IMO. There's something about the bass I'm not totally fond of in the riffing though.

see.....now wtf dude??? that sounds really good, almost has an Engl vibe to it. every XXX i have ever played sounded like ass. so i have become a long time xxx hater. wtf is with yours? why does it sound that good? does it sound that good when cranked?

Sounds bad ass! What settings did you use for the rhythm parts? And what tubes do you have in it?

Thank you, sirs! Going by memory: Bass and mids were maybe around 1 or 2 o'clock, treble around 10 or 11. Gain was at noon and master at around 10 o'clock. I think channel volume was at about 3 o'clock. Power tubes are JJ KT77's and the pre's are all JJ something-or-others.

Did you end up keeping the xxx? I liked that clip a better than the last xxx clip you made.

I'm about to try out your settings, The one's I use are Hair - 6 o'clock, Body - 7 or 11 o'clock, Bottom - 1 o'clock, Volume and Gain cranked all the way, and Damping set to Mids.

Yeah I know I don't need to have that much gain... I just feel compelled to use so much..

I got lost trying to play the home game. I was looking at the amps for sale and your XXX and your DSL threads both say sold. Did you keep the epiphone over both amps?

I get immediate satisfaction from my xxx's I don't know how you can't get tone with them. Listen to our last record, Shovel Headed Kill Machine. Two tracks of guitars, one sm57, one cab. Crunch channel(I don't dig the ultra, I think most people who don't like them use this). Crushing sound. Stock EL34's at the time, using JJ's now.

>|<>QBB<
strungup":eee6f said:
Did you end up keeping the xxx? I liked that clip a better than the last xxx clip you made.

I've got a buyer, and I've agreed to wait til next week for payment.

Thanks man!

>|<>QBB<
strungup":eee6f said:
I got lost trying to play the home game. I was looking at the amps for sale and your XXX and your DSL threads both say sold. Did you keep the epiphone over both amps?

Still got it! It's an ass kicker, if it's your kinda flavor!

>|<>QBB<
gary666":eee6f said:
I get immediate satisfaction from my xxx's I don't know how you can't get tone with them. Listen to our last record, Shovel Headed Kill Machine. Two tracks of guitars, one sm57, one cab. Crunch channel(I don't dig the ultra, I think most people who don't like them use this). Crushing sound. Stock EL34's at the time, using JJ's now.

Yo Gary! It's a beast, no doubt about it! You guys made it sound great. It's just not my style, that's all.

>|<>QBB<
gary666":a55c4 said:
Agree on the Crunch Channel...one of my favorite channels of any amp I've ever owned. In fact that's why I like my JSX so much...the Ultra Channel on the JSX is the same as the Crunch on the XXX except I think they dialed the gain down a hair. The XXX is a really under rated amp...in fact I'd still have mine but I like the versatility of the JSX more. Great amps.

I liike the JSX also, just not as much. I had one but I sold it and bought another XXX. If big, downtuned sound is your thing, you might like something else, but I find it to be the crunchiest thing going. Tons of usable gain, tons of chunck. I use one in my extra room at home with a baby Marshall cab(turned very low of course!) and it sounds killer.
Also, has anyone noticed that the effects loop on the xxx and the jsx are active even when there is nothing plugged in? Turn the amp on and play with the send and return and you'll see what I mean. Without the footswitch. Now plug the footswitch in and when you activate the loop, you can crank the send and return as a boost. Bypass the loop and you are back to normal.

>|<>QBB<
gary666":2084e said:
I liike the JSX also, just not as much. I had one but I sold it and bought another XXX. If big, downtuned sound is your thing, you might like something else, but I find it to be the crunchiest thing going. Tons of usable gain, tons of chunck. I use one in my extra room at home with a baby Marshall cab(turned very low of course!) and it sounds killer.
Also, has anyone noticed that the effects loop on the xxx and the jsx are active even when there is nothing plugged in? Turn the amp on and play with the send and return and you'll see what I mean. Without the footswitch. Now plug the footswitch in and when you activate the loop, you can crank the send and return as a boost. Bypass the loop and you are back to normal.
Yeah, I think the loop throws people that think the amps aren't loud enough. One thing I had to do with my JSX was put in 6L6's. Once I did that it really fattened the amp up alot. However I've heard 34's sound better in the XXX...I never tried them in my XXX, I'm more of a 6l6 guy. I love both of those amps in fact I've contemplated getting another XXX to have at the house or for backup.

>|<>QBB<
drucifer":63c9f said:
http://www.cranusmetal.com/drucifer-triplexxxnmdj2.mp3

Same as my last Marshall clip, except different amp (duh!) and no boost. Also, MD 421 instead of SM57.

what cab did you use?

>|<>QBB<
jabps":bb34b said:
>|<>QBB<Yeah, I think the loop throws people that think the amps aren't loud enough. One thing I had to do with my JSX was put in 6L6's. Once I did that it really fattened the amp up alot. However I've heard 34's sound better in the XXX...I never tried them in my XXX, I'm more of a 6l6 guy. I love both of those amps in fact I've contemplated getting another XXX to have at the house or for backup.
I think 34's sound waaaaaaay better in XXX's. I have retubed a lot of XXX's over the last few years and 34's always seem to tighten the amp up quite a bit. You have to change the screen resistors to 1K 5W if you put 34's in them, I have made the mistake of not changing them and have blown up some 34's in the past. Since I began to change the resistors I have had no blown tubes at all. I also put a Philips 12AX7A in V1 which takes the brittleness right out of the amp. With those things done, XXX's are fucking sick sounding. :D

Back