I played a Marshall Vintage Modern today...

• Thread starter Thread starter Shiny_Surface
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":db209 said:
>|<>QBB<

Yes, it had more gain than a single channel master volume JMP or JCM800. It didn't have enough for some super high gain heads, though. I was kinda surprised by that, as I expected it to have more than enough like the reports I'm hearing about the JVM.

Personally, I could use it without a pedal the way it is. But I don't use as much gain as some people on here and those guys that love their guitars drenched in distortion would need a pedal.

Chris

I played a 100 watt version and I didn't think it had as much gain as an 800. :? I agree that it was a good sounding amp but it didn't thrill me and I have been looking forward to trying one.

The M part is screwing people up, the M is a modern take of the older MArsall type amps hense not blowing your socks off gain wise. The JVM is a totally different amp and the VM runs KT66s and about 3 gain stages less.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":5dc99 said:
The M part is screwing people up, the M is a modern take of the older MArsall type amps hense not blowing your socks off gain wise. The JVM is a totally different amp and the VM runs KT66s and about 3 gain stages less.

My older Plexi i had sounded miles better than the VM. I don't know what shape the tubes were in but it either sounded mushy or harsh. And the new Boogie Stilettos have a lot more gain than it and from what i heard so far sound better, at least for what i like to hear. But again, i think it would sound better on Greenbacks.

I'll play it again since they are popping up in GC's and i have 4 of them near me.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":e168f said:
>|<>QBB<

My older Plexi i had sounded miles better than the VM. I don't know what shape the tubes were in but it either sounded mushy or harsh. And the new Boogie Stilettos have a lot more gain than it and from what i heard so far sound better, at least for what i like to hear. But again, i think it would sound better on Greenbacks.

I'll play it again since they are popping up in GC's and i have 4 of them near me.

I believe the VM cab has the JH reissue Greens installed, can't remember.

I know you know your way around amps but your review is not what I heard, it sounded very good at NAMM. The amp was at some volume though, maybe that is part of it? Cool cleans and was darn close to early EVH and it cleaned up real well.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":bd416 said:

For me I was only expecting plexi or jcm 800 gain. I was expecting a plexi or jcm 800 that could be dialed a little darker and have more bottom end. It does that, but at the same time I felt it was lacking. I didn't try it with its matching cab it was a regular marshall cab with 75's. It wasn't a bad sounding amp by any means I wouldn't mind playing on it. I wasn't thrilled when I played. That all I can say. It wasn't bad but it wasn't worth me buying. I could think of a few other amps that do the same thing but a little better. Also in defense of the amp I do know if all the tubes were good or if it was biased correctly it was GC. I doubt they checked it before putting it out for sale. I said this in other posts but I was the fourth person to try the amp that was on a list waiting for it. The first three guys that played it never bought it either. I was planning on buying the amp before I played it.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":6e518 said:
>|<>QBB<

I believe the VM cab has the JH reissue Greens installed, can't remember.

I know you know your way around amps but your review is not what I heard, it sounded very good at NAMM. The amp was at some volume though, maybe that is part of it? Cool cleans and was darn close to early EVH and it cleaned up real well.

:o :o The amp I tried got no where near early EVH. The cleans were cool with the volume rolled back on the guitar. I did use volume. Actually I heard a few other play it at loud volumes as well. It just didn't sound as good as older single channel marshalls. :? Again it could have been the tubes or the bias. I don't know, but I wasn't feeling it.

>|<>QBB<
strungup":62372 said:
>|<>QBB<

:o :o The amp I tried got no where near early EVH. The cleans were cool with the volume rolled back on the guitar. I did use volume. Actually I heard a few other play it at loud volumes as well. It just didn't sound as good as older single channel marshalls. :? Again it could have been the tubes or the bias. I don't know, but I wasn't feeling it.

I am not that versed in the older Marshall thing but the demo guy was playing Aint Talking... and had the volume down for the verses and for the chorus gunned it and it was prety close that I can remember :? I did not hear it flubbing out, that I am sure of.

Sorry guys but I can only tell you what I heard and the amp sounded very good for what it did. I would not say it sounded anything like a PLexi dimed but it had some really cool tones.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":f1f61 said:
>|<>QBB<

I am not that versed in the older Marshall thing but the demo guy was playing Aint Talking... and had the volume down for the verses and for the chorus gunned it and it was prety close that I can remember :? I did not hear it flubbing out, that I am sure of.

Sorry guys but I can only tell you what I heard and the amp sounded very good for what it did. I would not say it sounded anything like a PLexi dimed but it had some really cool tones.

You were not the only one hearing those tones from the reports at namm. I just didn't hear it from the amp I played. There is another store round me that is anxiously waiting for one. I am going to play it again when they get it in. I am hoping there was something off with the amp I played. I have passed on several amp deal that came up since november because I was holding off to try this amp first.

>|<>QBB<
strungup":9ddf1 said:
>|<>QBB<

You were not the only one hearing those tones from the reports at namm. I just didn't hear it from the amp I played. There is another store round me that is anxiously waiting for one. I am going to play it again when they get it in. I am hoping there was something off with the amp I played. I have passed on several amp deal that came up since november because I was holding off to try this amp first.

I'm half joking but it sounds like they had a Mojave or Germino disguised in a VM chassis. :D

But yes, if it sounds good when it's cranked then that's typical old school Marshall. And that was the main reason i ditched Marshalls in the first place.

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":932d3 said:
>|<>QBB<

Check out some of the Marshalls behind me in this pic. But it's hard to tell what's back there and i forgot what i was using at that time.

Picture005.jpg

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":53d4a said:
>|<>QBB<

No offense at all, but I don't think you tweaked it enough. I sat there with it for 30 minutes and tweaked the heck out of it. It very much sounds like an old single channel Marshall to me and had more gain than old EVH stuff. The mid boost switch really kicks the gain up another notch. I'm not sure if you realized that.

But yeah, it definitely sounded like an old Marshall to me and I could get '80s cock rock levels of gain without a pedal. If I owned it, I may have a pedal for a slight boost, but maybe not. It had enough for alot of things.

Chris,
The amp I tried might have had tube issues. I was not the only one trying to get the sound out of it. It was new amp for the store and the sales staff so there was a lot of interest in how it would sound. We did try it at higher volumes, actually very high volumes. The amp I played although not bad sounding was not what you described or was described from the reviews at namm. I do want to play another one because it sounds like something might have been off with the amp. The mid boost help but the dynamic range when in the higher position didn't sound right. In the lower postition it was a cool amp with good cleans and light gain and break up. In the higher position it just didn't sound right. Anyway I have been waiting for four months now to play this amp because I wanted to buy it. Waiting a few more weeks or days for another store to get one in is not going to kill me. Oh and I am not offeneded I am still hoping it was just the amp I played.

This does seem odd that two guys did not get what we did in January :? I wish that I spent more time looking at the settings other than gain, I look at this as a n00b NAMMer :D

our guitar center has one in and your right the tolex is a little odd but I liked it. I didn't have time to test drive it but i'm going to soon hopefully.

Back