Have any of you guys made a press kit before?

• Thread starter Thread starter SkyhighRocks
  • Start date Start date
SkyhighRocks
SkyhighRocks
Basically for yourself? I would like to make one to send out to labels, companies, etc...what would you include in it and how did you do it?
Thanks

I put this promo letter together quite some time ago. I think I did this back when Thump was doing one for his band.

savagepromoletter.jpg

We've done many. Try to keep them simple. Include a short cover letter and a bio. If you guys have any reviews add the best samples to the bio. Add a pic. If you're sending out a CD/DVD make sure your band name, website, and email addy is on the disc itself.

Just don't give them too much junk.

I'm no expert, but I've rec'd enough rejection letters/emails to at least have an idea of what they're looking for. :lol:

Put some bling bling in the box. You know, starbucks certificates, candy, cold cash...

My old press kit had a one, heavy stock piece of paper, where on one side was the band bio, and on the other was our picture, names, ages, what instrument we played and what cities and clubs we've played, and well known bands we've played with. Then we included our full length, pro duplicated cd because it was the best looking and sounding recording we had. And that was it. Not a bunch of other crap like newspaper clippings, merch samples... that stuff just clutters their desks and pisses them off. Let them see you, let them hear you, and if that doesn't do it.... sorry. :D

>|<>QBB<
Everlone":dc2af said:
My old press kit had a one, heavy stock piece of paper, where on one side was the band bio, and on the other was our picture, names, ages, what instrument we played and what cities and clubs we've played, and well known bands we've played with. Then we included our full length, pro duplicated cd because it was the best looking and sounding recording we had. And that was it. Not a bunch of other crap like newspaper clippings, merch samples... that stuff just clutters their desks and pisses them off. Let them see you, let them hear you, and if that doesn't do it.... sorry. :D

Actually, a press kit by definition is supposed to have media reviews and such. A promotional package doesn't need to, but a press kit, yep.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":d2e1b said:
>|<>QBB<

Actually, a press kit by definition is supposed to have media reviews and such. A promotional package doesn't need to, but a press kit, yep.
I agree. But at the same time luck is the biggest factor. Our 2nd cd was released by an indy in Sweden. They later told us the only reason they even noticed our promo was because the guys in the office were passing it around laughing at how bad our cd cover was. One guy was about the throw it away and another said "No let's listen to it. Maybe it'll be even funnier."

Having said that it didn't sell terribly well and we like to take credit for bringing down the label. :D

good tips here. Now what about packaging? What would you use to hold the kit? Obviously not staples!

>|<>QBB<
PeteLaramee":f834f said:
>|<>QBB<I agree. But at the same time luck is the biggest factor.

Without some kind of ridiculously good connections, luck is always a factor. Even with good connections, you need luck. All that is to say I agree.

>|<>QBB<
SkyhighRocks":e9d6c said:
good tips here. Now what about packaging? What would you use to hold the kit? Obviously not staples!

Something wrapped in paisley, there are no other options.

I think it's handy to have:

2 separate 8x10 photos of your band

CD/DVD's are expensive but putting a DVD video of your band performing live on your cd always seems like a good idea.

Bio/Contact Sheet

This is mainly for instrument companies...for myself. Can't hurt to try for any kind of artist pricing with all the gigging I'm doing.

>|<>QBB<
Japetus The Great":86a76 said:
I think it's handy to have:

2 separate 8x10 photos of your band

CD/DVD's are expensive but putting a DVD video of your band performing live on your cd always seems like a good idea.

Bio/Contact Sheet

If the video isn't pro quality with good audio and pro video fx with different angles and transitions, a video is probably a bad idea because home videos look cheesed.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":9bb71 said:
>|<>QBB<

If the video isn't pro quality with good audio and pro video fx with different angles and transitions, a video is probably a bad idea because home videos look cheesed.

Yeah, I was talking more like a video shot by a good club. There are a few clubs around here that for a nominal fee, will shoot a pretty darn good video.

>|<>QBB<
SkyhighRocks":35284 said:
Right now we just fold the paper(s) in half around the CD, hold it together with a rubber band and stick it in a padded envelope. If the the CD is professionaly packaged/wrapped - REMOVE THE WRAPPING. Don't make them have to unwrap the plastic and then the little pain-in-the-ass barcode sticker thing that fucking drives everyone crazy. We do that with everyone we send out for review/airplay.

Remember that a lot of places wont take unsolicited material from bands.

again...this is not for my band. This is for me...with instrument companies only.

>|<>QBB<
Bob Savage":e67c1 said:
>|<>QBB<

Without some kind of ridiculously good connections, luck is always a factor. Even with good connections, you need luck. All that is to say I agree.
Yea - the luck thing is a no brainer. I just like telling that story. :lol:

And I know what you mean about the connections comment. I wish all it took was to "know people." :x

>|<>QBB<
SkyhighRocks":13b3a said:
again...this is not for my band. This is for me...with instrument companies only.

Understood, but it may still apply, depending on the company.

>|<>QBB<
ZielGuitarist":d7d7a said:
>|<>QBB<

Understood, but it may still apply, depending on the company.

I hear ya. I've contacted a bunch and actually got replies from a few already asking me to send stuff.

Back