Marshall Silver Jubilee, retube!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter blackba
  • Start date Start date
blackba
blackba
I finally got around to putting a pair of Svet EL34's in my Marshall 2553 silver jubilee. I haven't touched the amp other than putting in some Ei Elites 12AX7's since I bought it from Stratotone.

Anyway I checked the plate voltage: 471Vdc. The Groove tubes EL34's, one was running at 16mA, the other at 27mA :o

Took those out put in the Svet EL34's, biased it up to about 32mA. Checked the PI tube, checked pretty close to balanced. I put in a couple of 12AX7's in V1 and V2, one was an ARS and the other just said made in the USA.

Fired her up, oh what a difference. The amp sounded good before, but it just came alive, like a blanket was lifted off. So much power and fullness. The clean was sweeter and the distortion was just full as could be. I have never heard the amp sound this good. It was hard to break myself away from the firehouse riffs, but I had to, got to work tomorrow.

Anyway, I am very happy with the retube. the other EI elites went in my vox AC30CC1 (Chinese 12AX7's were too harsh in there). I am my jube through a marshall 1936 with 2 Classic Lead 80's. I played my beat up Contemporary tele, I mostly used the SD JB pickup in the bridge.

Only problem now is finding my new favorite preamp tube. I don't like JJ pres in genearl. EH's are okay. Ei's are hard to find and inconsistent. Maybe the tung sol reissues will be the ticket....

If anyone wants gut shots I will post those tomorrow if requested.

Guts would be cool.

Clips would be cooler! :D

I love the sound of an amp just after new tubes! :2thumbs:

Just my .02... Find a mullard/brimar CV4004 to put in V1. Or and RFT, or Tungsram etc. Jubilees love NOS preamp tubes. IMHO some newer amps, especially the ones that use multiple stages/channels NOS Tubes don't make much of a difference. Jubilee's are simple enough etc that they're like JCM 800's or Super Leads in that a good NOS preamp in V1 is killer.

>|<>QBB<
Marshall Freak":69290 said:
Just my .02... Find a mullard/brimar CV4004 to put in V1. Or and RFT, or Tungsram etc. Jubilees love NOS preamp tubes. IMHO some newer amps, especially the ones that use multiple stages/channels NOS Tubes don't make much of a difference. Jubilee's are simple enough etc that they're like JCM 800's or Super Leads in that a good NOS preamp in V1 is killer.

I have yet to find an amp that doesn't benefit from NOS tubes, some do more than others of course.

The Telefunken or Brimars are $75+. How are the RFT's, I can get one for $38?

I generally have had great luck with NOS RCA's and GE's, those are in my mesa mark IV though....

I want one of those so bad...

I'm a big fan of Ei preamp tubes in Marshalls. In my current Marshall, I use a Tung Sol reissue in V1 and really like it. I've tried an EH, a Chinese, GT, and whatever is restamped by Mesa....and like the Tung Sol in V1 best for now.

This is the first Marshall that I have'nt tried an Ei ecc83 yet.

>|<>QBB<
blackba":f3cb1 said:
>|<>QBB<

I have yet to find an amp that doesn't benefit from NOS tubes, some do more than others of course.

The Telefunken or Brimars are $75+. How are the RFT's, I can get one for $38?

I generally have had great luck with NOS RCA's and GE's, those are in my mesa mark IV though....
I have an Amperex BB in V1 of my Jubilee and it kills. I did not care for the RFT in that amp, it seemed a little mushy IMO. I have Mullards in V2 and V3 that just round out the tone...I love that amp, definitely one of my favorite Marshalls ever. :)

As promised some gut shots:

MarshallJubilee08.jpg

MarshallJubilee07.jpg

MarshallJubilee01.jpg

MarshallJubilee02.jpg

MarshallJubilee03.jpg

Settings recommendations are always welcome. I seem to like the input gain cranked, but that doesn't make the clean sound that good :(

WOW is your chassis ever clean. My jubilee has some oxidation on the chrome, and a little rust on the transformers. Doesn't look nice and new like yours.

>|<>QBB<
messenger":2abf1 said:
WOW is your chassis ever clean. My jubilee has some oxidation on the chrome, and a little rust on the transformers. Doesn't look nice and new like yours.

Thanks man. It does look pretty clean, I cleaned off the dust a bit, but that's about it.

Does anyone know where I can get a nut and nut holder for the chassis, see the last picture, the nut is missing...

Back