cant believe i am gonna post this, (DUAL RECTO/ Roadster questions)

• Thread starter Thread starter BURNTHISCORPSE
  • Start date Start date
BURNTHISCORPSE
BURNTHISCORPSE
no one has been a bigger recto hate than me. i had a 2003 dual 3ch that was a total turd. 6l6's el34s...didnt matter. floppy, flubby, farty, muddy, just shit. had to work really hard to get squeals and harmonics out of it. tried emg's many different passives too. different cabs.
now....6-7 years ago i plugged an american jackson V into an old 2ch tremoverb 2x12 combo and it was pretty tight and sounded pretty good.

after seeing that video that was posted like two days ago of Behemoth in the studio it makes me wonder. Nergal plays through a 2ch recto . i cant tell if its a tremoverb, rectoverb, or just recto. but it sounds great. enough to make me ask questions.....i have seen all the threads, countless ones....2ch vs. 3ch recto. are they really tighter? i am not going on some quest for one of the first 200 made that are supposedly the "best ever" . but if they really sound like that sound that i heard, i think i wand one..........maybe :? ......maybe not :?

Buy Lordovchaos' Rackmount Recto and you'll have one of the best that were ever made.

why is that?? :? and how much? i saw there were a couple racktifiers on e-bay around $1200. when did mesa add this "clipping diode" or whatever the fuck that is that i keep hearing ruined the recto.

Um, what? Clipping diode? What are you talking about? I forget how much his is, but I know it's fully re-tubed with brand new tubes (some of the best you can possibly use). The Racktos are considered to be the tightest and clearest out of all of them. Every recto needs a boost though, IMO.

i read some thing and i dont remember where, the terminology i used was incorrect though. whatever it is that they changed that pretty much ruined the recto.

The recto, like every Mesa amp, has gone though tons of changes throughout the years. Even the "holy" 2 channels had lots of changes.

Rectos don't have any diodes in the signal path at all, they're one of the most pure tube amps out there.

I too had a 3 channel recto and I can't say I didn't like it but it just didn't do it for me. I liked the voicing but not the response. I boosted it with a Metal Zone with the distortion all the way down and that got me a lot closer but still wasn't my thing.

I sold it and bought the Racktifier and it's a completely different amp! Tight, clear, no mud. Put new tubes in it and made it twice as good. I honestly can't believe I'm selling it but Engl GAS has gotten the best of me. Put a tube screamer in front of this baby and you will be in tight, punchy, high gain heaven!

I do see myself coming back to one of these in the future but I gotta try everything that's out there before I know for sure it's the perfect amp for me.

Hope this helps!

the first 500 Rectos had different transformers...after that they changed forever i think. another thing to mention is that the Recto preamp circuit (the original circuit) was pretty much an exact copy of the Soldano SLO 100 circuit, and Mike Soldano i believe sued them over it, so of course it had to be changed.

i dont think Mike ever sued Peavey over the 5150, considering it was based off an SLO as well.

i tried a 3 channel Triple once, and was really underwhelmed. no matter what channel, whatever mode, it sounded thin and weak (even turned up to deafening levels). new tubes and everything. ive heard Single Rectos before, and they sound pretty badass, as well as 2 channel Rectos. i would love to try one sometime again, but that first impression made me go "and people think 5150's sound sterile!" LOL

hmmm makes me wonder...maybe i should sell my 5150, get a Single Recto, and if i dont like it sell it and get a 5150 again...hmmm LOL

Boost the mofo with any Tube Screamer type of OD and it's tight and HUGE....I hated Rectos until I tried one boosted....now they are my fave...

>|<>QBB<
soc_monki":a843d said:
the first 500 Rectos had different transformers...after that they changed forever i think. another thing to mention is that the Recto preamp circuit (the original circuit) was pretty much an exact copy of the Soldano SLO 100 circuit, and Mike Soldano i believe sued them over it, so of course it had to be changed.

i dont think Mike ever sued Peavey over the 5150, considering it was based off an SLO as well.

i tried a 3 channel Triple once, and was really underwhelmed. no matter what channel, whatever mode, it sounded thin and weak (even turned up to deafening levels). new tubes and everything. ive heard Single Rectos before, and they sound pretty badass, as well as 2 channel Rectos. i would love to try one sometime again, but that first impression made me go "and people think 5150's sound sterile!" LOL

hmmm makes me wonder...maybe i should sell my 5150, get a Single Recto, and if i dont like it sell it and get a 5150 again...hmmm LOL

yes sell your 5150, sell it to me :twisted:

>|<>QBB<
BURNTHISCORPSE":87d4e said:
>|<>QBB<

yes sell your 5150, sell it to me :twisted:

if i did sell it, a forumite would be who i would sell it to, no doubt :mrgreen: i love it though...dunno if i could ever part with it. but maybe...ya never know!

at least im not like Mega Mark who sells everything within days of having it!

>|<>QBB<
BURNTHISCORPSE":fdc87 said:
no one has been a bigger recto hate than me. i had a 2003 dual 3ch that was a total turd. 6l6's el34s...didnt matter. floppy, flubby, farty, muddy, just shit. had to work really hard to get squeals and harmonics out of it. tried emg's many different passives too. different cabs.
now....6-7 years ago i plugged an american jackson V into an old 2ch tremoverb 2x12 combo and it was pretty tight and sounded pretty good.

after seeing that video that was posted like two days ago of Behemoth in the studio it makes me wonder. Nergal plays through a 2ch recto . i cant tell if its a tremoverb, rectoverb, or just recto. but it sounds great. enough to make me ask questions.....i have seen all the threads, countless ones....2ch vs. 3ch recto. are they really tighter? i am not going on some quest for one of the first 200 made that are supposedly the "best ever" . but if they really sound like that sound that i heard, i think i wand one..........maybe :? ......maybe not :?

Well, alot of people who don't like the 3 channel like the older ones so who knows you might like it.

There was a Roadster head in the "Part III" Behemoth video I saw today I believe.......

Wasn't there an Uberschall in that Behemoth video as well? You could try one of those :P

J/K

well this whole dual recto thing was a waste, you right dude, it is a roadster. and i dont know a fucking thing about them. and yes an uberschall is on my list but its not financially possible at the moment.

I am a huge mesa hater too. I keep trying to love them but I have only played a handfull of thier gear that I liked. I have tried every preamp they made. The quad is pretty cool, and I am kind of into the triaxis. I have tried pretty much all thier heads and didn't like any of them. Then a few years back I was playing on one of the guitar players rigs from BTBAM a couple years ago and man I was digging the tone. What did it come from? A racktifier. From then I swore I'd own one at some point and lately I have been wanting one more than ever. I have been thinking about getting rid of my mint 6505 for one. I keep telling my self to shut up and run the 6505 and a cobra in stereo, but I gotta get this racktifier love out of my system. Too bad I didn't have enough money... I'd own a racktifier, cobra, and keep my 6505.

>|<>QBB<
BURNTHISCORPSE":24d33 said:
well this whole dual recto thing was a waste, you right dude, it is a roadster. and i dont know a fucking thing about them. and yes an uberschall is on my list but its not financially possible at the moment.

I've actually spoken to Nergal about amps and the Dual Rectifier is his amp of choice. He may have gotten a Roadster since they came out, this was before they existed. Nergal's setup on Zos Kia Cvltvs and Demigod was a 2 channel AND a 3 channel Dual recto. The other guitarist used Peavey XXX's.

If you don't like how loose rectos are steer clear of an Uberschall! They're looser.

P.S. Nergal's a nice guy that actually replies to all his emails if you want to ask him anything.

His tone and this tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMBfKhZBGjM

are what convinced me to go recto. The Racktifier sounds like the tone in this video with very little effort.

LordOVchaoS":65b44 said:
If you don't like how loose rectos are steer clear of an Uberschall! They're looser.

Was that your experience? I haven't played alot alot of Recto's, but back in the late 90's my rig was a 2 channel and 3 channel Dual Rec's and both Revision Uberschall's I had tracked better, that was just my experience though.

The Uberschall's had a grind in the mids like a Marshall although voiced in the lower mids where as the Recto's sounded "bi-shelved" with a boom on the bottom and a trebly high end with not much detail in the midrange.

i have played an uber, and i liked it alot more than a recto. granted, the uber is loose, as is the recto, but the recto loosness is just mud. with no clarity to it IMHO. the uber was loose but there was definition to it, the voicing was better IMHO, and pick squeals came like butter. always had to work real hard to get my recto to squeal. i will admit though, after i sold my recto to my good friend, he brought it back to me to sell for him on e-bastards , and i played it, 6l6 loaded, through my marshall which then had the x pattern in it that my hi-watt currently has- gt75's with eminence diezel custom 75's. (i love those diezel customs) .
and call me a fag, but i am really set against boosting. i just dont see getting an amp that doesnt have enough gain in it to do what you want with.
then theres modding rectos. jerry p says mercury transformers help them out alot, but everyone seems like they mod thier rectos and shortly after they are up for sale.
i may be leaning back towards 6505/5150's. i love them to begin with. they are similar to rectos and ubers in ways to begin with. jerry p is a genius with 5150's and has told me many times that they can be made to sound tons of different ways.
i would still like to know alot more aboout roadsters though. everytime i heard roadster i was always thinking roadking. :lol:

Boosting has nothing to do with gain and everything to do with changing the feeling of the amp. A Roadster is just a Dual Recto with a bunch of options and a little more refined sounding (along with a great clean).

>|<>QBB<
Code001":6d73d said:
Boosting has nothing to do with gain and everything to do with changing the feeling of the amp. A Roadster is just a Dual Recto with a bunch of options and a little more refined sounding (along with a great clean).

agreed. I turn the gain way down before I add a boost. It's not about distortion at all, the harder you hit the preamp tubes the tighter the amp gets.

Back