Elmwood M60 Modena - Initial Review! It's in and it's BAD!

• Thread starter Thread starter joshsage
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
J.B.":c23c4 said:
>|<>QBB<You mean until he tested it? It would be pretty irresponsable for a dealer to ship an amp to a customer before he knew it was in full working order. It would really suck to receive an amp with something wrong with it that could have been found at the dealer, instead of paying for it, shipping it, receiving it, shipping it back, etc, etc.

I would rather a dealer test out an amp that was shipped from the other side of the planet before I bought and paid for it. But that's me. I know, I know, I'm just crazy.

Nonsense.

Nonsense I tell ya

:D :D

>|<>QBB<
J.B.":db156 said:
>|<>QBB<You mean until he tested it? It would be pretty irresponsable for a dealer to ship an amp to a customer before he knew it was in full working order. It would really suck to receive an amp with something wrong with it that could have been found at the dealer, instead of paying for it, shipping it, receiving it, shipping it back, etc, etc.

I would rather a dealer test out an amp that was shipped from the other side of the planet before I bought and paid for it. But that's me. I know, I know, I'm just crazy.

Are you insane?! Who would want to make sure their amp isnt faulty?! That's just crazy!

:)

So, uh, yea , I hear that Elmwood is pretty hot. How about making us a clip since it's now officially 'used'. Seriously. :D

This is an amp that I had wanted to purchase for atleast a year now. While in LA for NAMM in January, Mark (Cameron) & I spent about 2 hours with this amp at Andy Brauer's studio in N. Hollywood one night and we could not get any "great" sounds out of it.

Andy did say that the particular unit M60 Modena he had for us to demo had been also demo'd by dozens of people before us and as such may need new tubes. That being said, we were getting some crazy high-end squeal out of the drive 2 channel and this was at very low volume. I guess we really need to give one a try fresh out of the box but for 3K plus I was a bit turned off. I have a pretty good collection of boutique amps and a ton of high-end gear so I am no stranger to good tone. The price did not scare me...it was the sound...or lack there of. At the risk of sounding bias, the new line of Cameron amps from the testing we have done so far make mincedmeat out of the Elmwood.

As some of you may know, I do not share opinions or make many posts here or on any board, but I just had to share my experiences on this amp. I am not writing this so that noone buys one nor do I want to condem the new product line for Rebel Amps MUCH TO THE CONTRARY!! In fact I would hope to have Rebel carry our line. This is simply my opinion and should be taken as such.

Chris

Also....just to "chime in" on the previous posts:

ALL of our amps are tested and burned in to ensure that everything is working properly and sounding great! (about 2 hours)

If you notice, that new car you buy always has a minimum of 12-15 miles on it.

:|::QBB:
J.B.":f31f1 said:
>|<>QBB<Yeah, like the over hyped JVM :jerk:

Wow thats a cheap shot at an amp some on here own and like. Call it over hyped if you wish. I like it so it wasnt over hyped tp me. Maybe if I played a Modena and it didnt live up and it didnt do it for me Id think the $3000 was overpriced and over hyped. Which quite frankly I do the Modena is. Anything that has those cork sniffers over at TGP all wet in pants over and is a high gainer...... that right there makes me cringe.

Chris Schmidt":94017 said:
This is an amp that I had wanted to purchase for atleast a year now. While in LA for NAMM in January, Mark (Cameron) & I spent about 2 hours with this amp at Andy Brauer's studio in N. Hollywood one night and we could not get any "great" sounds out of it.

Andy did say that the particular unit M60 Modena he had for us to demo had been also demo'd by dozens of people before us and as such may need new tubes. That being said, we were getting some crazy high-end squeal out of the drive 2 channel and this was at very low volume. I guess we really need to give one a try fresh out of the box but for 3K plus I was a bit turned off. I have a pretty good collection of boutique amps and a ton of high-end gear so I am no stranger to good tone. The price did not scare me...it was the sound...or lack there of. At the risk of sounding bias, the new line of Cameron amps from the testing we have done so far make mincedmeat out of the Elmwood.

As some of you may know, I do not share opinions or make many posts here or on any board, but I just had to share my experiences on this amp. I am not writing this so that noone buys one nor do I want to condem the new product line for Rebel Amps MUCH TO THE CONTRARY!! In fact I would hope to have Rebel carry our line. This is simply my opinion and should be taken as such.

Chris

Cool! I have money stuck back for a Cameron as soon as they are released.

carlygtr56":f74e9 said:

That was directed at me, likely cause I got a JVM coming.......as if that's my only amp.
At least it doesn't look like some some jr high science project.

As to the other Swedish 3k used amp...what happens when that thing goes down? Who services that?

Yeah thats exactly why. Funny thing is he did the very thing he is accusing you of.

ejecta":cafb3 said:

Wow and you have the balls to call Carl a dick when you do the same bull shit.
That's because Carl brings out the worst in me.

Listen, I understand when people get defensive over an amp they own/like. We're only human. But as long as you like it, why do you care what other people say/think so much? If somebody said the Cameron mods were over hyped, I would laugh to myself and say, good, more for me.

This thread turned into a serious clusterfuck of opinions.

Im waiting on amp clips!

carlygtr56":1f94d said:

That was directed at me, likely cause I got a JVM coming.......as if that's my only amp.
At least it doesn't look like some some jr high science project.

As to the other Swedish 3k used amp...what happens when that thing goes down? Who services that?
Classic Carl. Ripping on an amp that he said he was acually thinking about buying at the beginning of the thread until Josh played it.

It sort of reminds me when you ripped on me about my Cameron, saying it sounded this and that, could get the same sound with a stock Marshall and an OD pedal, bla, bla, bla....... Then, the same day you PM Mark asking him if he could mod an amp for you, LMFAO!! And what did he do? Oh, he told you to get screwed. He read them to me over the phone. We laughed our asses off.

carlygtr56":fe50f said:

Your amp sounded like a Mesa. Marshall shell, Mesa tone. IMO, and in other's opinions as well.
What amp would I have wanted modded?
I asked about his new line. Big fucking whoop....an inquery. Get your story straight, chump.
Maybe if the dick wasn't busy reading emails to punks over the phone, his shit would be done by now. Then all the little Doug a wanna bees would have there science project. from what I hear, Doug A likes them new Marshalls alot. He'd get a better endorsement with Marshall then some hack.
I laugh my ass off too.....on little fuckwipes that can't keep an amp more than a week. here's a clue, it aint the amp. you can bang those shit chords thru amything, and asshole, plenty of guys use pedals and get steller fucking tone. Just cause you can't, don't dismiss that option.

I would never buy a 3k+ amp built in Sweden. I wouldn't even consider it.
Just putting that chump on. i see the amp isnt sold either
Oooooooh, you're mad now! Yeah, my bad. You asked if he had any amps allready modded or something like that. Either way Carl, we both got a real kick out of it.

lamppost":74f87 said:
This thread turned into a serious clusterfuck of opinions.

Im waiting on amp clips!
I'll delete the thread soon. I just want to see what else Carl pulls out of his ass.

carlygtr56":f7ce0 said:

No I didn't. I asked about his new line. I never buy modded shit.....from anybody. Anybody who knows me, knows I aint interested in modded amps. Nice try.

I care because two retards were beating off to my PM's over the phone?

That's why the guy wasnt at NAMM. Why his shit is always late, and why his "new line" isn't out HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Even if that is true or not, why would you "inquire" as you put it, about an amp when you were just ripping on the amp builder? I know why, because you like to start shit!

No, we weren't beating off to your PM's, we were laughing at you. A lot acually. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Back