Question about the JVM's midi

• Thread starter Thread starter SkyhighRocks
  • Start date Start date
SkyhighRocks
SkyhighRocks
I asked this at HCAF too

I'm wondering...if you hook up an effects processor to the JVM with the midi ports, can you change the patches from the processor AND the JVM's channels at the same time with the JVM footswitch? How does the midi work in the amp?

The guy that designed the amp stops in here at times to answer this question, but I think you will find him faster at the jvm web site. www.jvm410.com

I did a quick search there but only saw one question about it that hasn't really been answered yet.

If I remember the manual, it only has midi in and midi thru, so I'm guessing the answer there is no.

So I'd need an FCB or something to do everything simultaneously...

If it works like I'd expect it to with just in and thru ports, it would accept midi messages and pass through any messages received, but wouldn't generate any of it's own. So yeah, you'd need to have the midi controller to switch both the amp and a processor.

Just trying to picture it in my head...

Clean channel with processor in the loop set to chorus

rhythm channel with processor in the loop set to delay

How would the midi controller be set? Into the processor and thru the JVM? Would I then not need the jvm footswitch?

That's my understanding, yeah. You program the JVM by setting your settings on the amp the way you want them, channel/mode/etc., then store that to a midi program number in the amp. And of course you'd also have patches set up on your processor.

Then your foot controller would send the program change to the processor, thru to the amp, or the amp thru to the processor...however you have it set up...to call up the patches from both.

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":ed5fa said:

Dang, I didn't know that at all! So he's in England as a designer at Marshall? Man, that's cool!

ya I think its cool. Where else can you talk to a designer from a company as big as Marshall. Really cool that he cares enough about his design to come to forums to answer questions.

strungup":d6419 said:

ya I think its cool. Where else can you talk to a designer from a company as big as Marshall. Really cool that he cares enough about his design to come to forums to answer questions.

Um Peter Diezel posts here :)

not meant that way at all. Peter spends a lot of time here and it is awesome. Mark spends time on his forum for mods and his line. Trace is even here now. I am just saying if I called Marshall right now to talk to a designer I wouldn't expect to get him, but here you can. I think thats cool.

yeah, is what Ratter wrote. If you want to use the MIDI functionality you will need a MIDI footcontroller. The JVM itself is not going to send any MIDI commands out and although you can use MIDI and footswitch simultaneously the JVM will not be able to change the patches in your external processor.

S.

Thanks Santiall! I ordered a JVM this morning...can't wait to fire it up!

Back