Well aint this some shit. OD808 versus OD9 content.

• Thread starter Thread starter Telephant
  • Start date Start date
>|<>QBB<
Telephant":c6192 said:
I always thought the OD808 was a TS808 copy while the OD9 was a TS-9 copy. Apparantly I was way off.

The OD9 copy is a TS9 but its supposed to be so close to the original TS808 that people have been unable to pick out the original in a blind fold test. (heard this over in HCEF).

The OD808 is actually a TS-10!!! Freakin weird, mang. Makes me want a freakin' OD9 now. :x :lol:

From Analogman's website:

Took me by suprise. :oops:

I have an original Ts10 and it kicks major ass.

Im perfectly happy with my OD808, I just thought it was interesting. :)

:|::QBB:
Code001":71d8f said:
This should help with most of those mods I listed actually.

ScreamerWiring.gif

Not loading anymore.

Do you have a picture of how to mod the OD-808 to True Bypass, I have a 3PDT switch already, not sure if I should remove the buffer or not....

All of his screamer lab pics are down. That didn't show how to mod the OD-808 to true-bypass, though. However, to mod anything to true-bypass, follow this diagram:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/511092/4336798/201810650.jpg

I found that the best budget tubescreamer is a TS7 modded to 808 specs. I had 2 of them and I prefer them over my OD808. I just sold one, one yall shoulda bought it!

If anybody wants me to do this mod for them let me know. You can find TS7's on ebay for $20-$30 all the time.

i love my od808, i don't care what it's supposed to sound like

i think it's funny that people get soooo wrapped up in the original tubescreamer crap, where there's an assload of great overdrive/boost pedals out there...and not one of them will make anyone sound like SRV

then again i guess the same could be said for all the guitar companies who still build stuff based on gibson/fender designs

after owning both an OD9 and OD808, I can honestly say that I like the OD9 a lot more. The 808 has this huge mid-hump that I really don't like.

cobrahead1030":b1101 said:
i love my od808, i don't care what it's supposed to sound like

i think it's funny that people get soooo wrapped up in the original tubescreamer crap, where there's an assload of great overdrive/boost pedals out there...and not one of them will make anyone sound like SRV

then again i guess the same could be said for all the guitar companies who still build stuff based on gibson/fender designs

People should still learn what pedals are what. Like how an SD-1 is almost the same as an 808 but with asy. clipping and some very subtle differences, or how the Fulldrive is just an 808 with a boost pot, boost switch, and clipping selection switch (with a cap and a few resistor changes), how an Ibanez MT-10 is an 808 with a MOS-FET opamp and a 3-way tone stack, etc. etc. etc. I can go on and on. In the end, 90% of all boost pedals out there are just variations on the 808 clone. It would be stupid to pay more $ if you can find a similar pedal for less. ;)

AmpliFIRE":279ce said:
after owning both an OD9 and OD808, I can honestly say that I like the OD9 a lot more. The 808 has this huge mid-hump that I really don't like.

I own both right now and I honestly can't tell much of a difference between the two when used as a boost. The OD-9 is a little better when the gain knob is turned clockwise. Plus when it is turned off because of the true by-pass.

When people describe the sound of a OD9 to me, it always sounds like its Maxon's version of an SD-1. A but more gain, less mid hump, a little more modern sounding on the top end etc..

Telephant":4afa0 said:
When people describe the sound of a OD9 to me, it always sounds like its Maxon's version of an SD-1. A but more gain, less mid hump, a little more modern sounding on the top end etc..

yup...that's exactly what i hear as well!

Code001":131df said:

People should still learn what pedals are what. Like how an SD-1 is almost the same as an 808 but with asy. clipping and some very subtle differences, or how the Fulldrive is just an 808 with a boost pot, boost switch, and clipping selection switch (with a cap and a few resistor changes), how an Ibanez MT-10 is an 808 with a MOS-FET opamp and a 3-way tone stack, etc. etc. etc. I can go on and on. In the end, 90% of all boost pedals out there are just variations on the 808 clone. It would be stupid to pay more $ if you can find a similar pedal for less. ;)

honestly i don't know nearly enough about different boost pedals to know all that crap, aside from reading it on places like this...i know a certain few that sound good to me, a few others that don't, and the majority i think work well in some situations but not others (i.e. the sd1 i think is good for high gain stuff, mainly rhythm, but i don't care for it in any other situation...the od808 i think works well all around for anything)

Back