A JVM showed up in a local store.

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
:|::QBB:
Gainfreak":c0f35 said:

I assure you that no matter what you put in the Splawn tube wise.... the feel would not change. I think Scott makes a good amp but there is something in the midrange that I just don't dig. (Others will and do!! I just Don't)
TO be honest with you, for lack of better words, The splawn was just vanilla to me.

That said, It's great that we now have so many amps to choose from. Lots of guys are going to still love their Splawns which is really cool. I say play what suites you best!

I heard shreder75's QuickRod with KT77's through Psycodaves cabinets. I forgot which cab he was using, probably Greenbacks and it just killed. When Paige had a QR i was never 100% into the way it sounded. It didn't sound that great on a Splawn cab loaded with some type of Eminence speakers.

I will say that my favorite sounding Marshall type of amp i have played in the past couple of years has been that Makoplex. But it's only 1 channel. And Paige had a Rocca HG100 which did the Marshall thing well but it just wasn't me.
I don't know, i plug into a Boogie and everything is just right in the world. :D I got a similiar feeling when i borrowed Andrews Herbert. I guess i like smoother more fluid sounding amps.

danyeo":ed501 said:

I heard shreder75's QuickRod with KT77's through Psycodaves cabinets. I forgot which cab he was using, probably Greenbacks and it just killed. When Paige had a QR i was never 100% into the way it sounded. It didn't sound that great on a Splawn cab loaded with some type of Eminence speakers.

I will say that my favorite sounding Marshall type of amp i have played in the past couple of years has been that Makoplex. But it's only 1 channel. And Paige had a Rocca HG100 which did the Marshall thing well but it just wasn't me.
I don't know, i plug into a Boogie and everything is just right in the world. :D I got a similiar feeling when i borrowed Andrews Herbert. I guess i like smoother more fluid sounding amps.

Steve had his Splawn for a while and IIRC he was the first to put in the Kt-77's. Harry and I played that sucker at Ear bleeding volumes through many different cabs and the amp never once sounded killer to my ears. Its just not an amp that i dig no matter how many times I revisited it.
I also did not care for the Makoplex either. I would take Vlads or my S/l over it in a NY min. We just have a differance of opinion Regarding Marshalls but we both have the same opinion on the Boogies!!! The Mark series Boogs = the definition of Liquid!!!

danyeo":353b1 said:

I guess I'm the opposite. I've owned Mesa/Boogies of all types (Mark series, Recto series, LoneStar series, etc...) and I have never kept one for more than 1 or 2 gigs. I love the potential versatility, but after a week or so of trying to dial out that nasty little "fizz" on the top end I am forced to admit that I just don't like Mesa amps version of gain (as much as I want to like it).

People loved the old 2-channel Triple Rectifier head I had (one of the first ones) but I thought I was going crazy because as much as everyone else liked it all I could hear was that Mesa fizzle. I thought something was wrong with my speakers when I first got the Recto, so I went through 3 different cabs. Then I thought it was tubes, so I experimented with those. In the end, it was just the way Mesa's cascading gain structure colors the tone of their amps that I didn't like.

I've heard good recorded Recto sounds, but all of the live acts I've worked (I'm a sound engineer at a local venue with a big house system) the Recto players never sound better than mediocre. The best tones I've mixed live were a Bogner Ecstasy 101b and a Divided by 13 FTR37.

I also have found that all of the Mesa amps I've owned got lost in a busy mix much easier than a Dr Z or old Marshall/new Splawn, which seem to cut through anything and still sound good.

Odin":964aa said:

I guess I'm the opposite. I've owned Mesa/Boogies of all types (Mark series, Recto series, LoneStar series, etc...) and I have never kept one for more than 1 or 2 gigs. I love the potential versatility, but after a week or so of trying to dial out that nasty little "fizz" on the top end I am forced to admit that I just don't like Mesa amps version of gain (as much as I want to like it).

People loved the old 2-channel Triple Rectifier head I had (one of the first ones) but I thought I was going crazy because as much as everyone else liked it all I could hear was that Mesa fizzle. I thought something was wrong with my speakers when I first got the Recto, so I went through 3 different cabs. Then I thought it was tubes, so I experimented with those. In the end, it was just the way Mesa's cascading gain structure colors the tone of their amps that I didn't like.
I agree..I love those recorded Mesa tones but to me, live with my playing they just don't work at all. I did like that Roadster recto tone I was getting and the Lonestars were good with reverb..then I turned off the reverb and the tone was sterile. This JVM clean is the best Marshall clean ever-I would say it's as good as the Stiletto cleans....but it's still not as good as Einstein's warm and juicy cleans

Odin":fd3bd said:

I've heard good recorded Recto sounds, but all of the live acts I've worked (I'm a sound engineer at a local venue with a big house system) the Recto players never sound better than mediocre. The best tones I've mixed live were a Bogner Ecstasy 101b and a Divided by 13 FTR37.

I also have found that all of the Mesa amps I've owned got lost in a busy mix much easier than a Dr Z or old Marshall/new Splawn, which seem to cut through anything and still sound good.

I'm sorry but I can't see A Mesa Mark series tone and fizz even remotely being used in the same sentence. They are without a doubt some of the smoothest sounding High gain amps IMHO. I don;t even acknowledge the Recto series as being Mesa but that's just me :lol:

Again.. That's the great thing about having so many amps to choose from!!

zao":38630 said:
I bought a jvm a week ago and I already sold it. I really wanted to keep it but my splawns gain ch was a lot better sounding to me. I knew I would never play the jvm as long as I owned the splawn. I was hoping the jvm would blow away the splawn because its got 4ch,midi,and a better clean. But I wasn't blown away with the jvm and I sold it.

+1 :(

Telephant":473a1 said:

THis is some bullshit and anyone who actually believes it is kidding themselves.

Different strokes my friend ................different strokes!!

Telephant":c5187 said:

THis is some bullshit and anyone who actually believes it is kidding themselves.

Why???

Marshall has not made an amp I want to buy the past 20 years till now, why would this comment be bull shit??

I am going to ride your ass raw next January :gethim:

Gainfreak":fb633 said:

I'm sorry but I can't see A Mesa Mark series tone and fizz even remotely being used in the same sentence. They are without a doubt some of the smoothest sounding High gain amps IMHO. I don;t even acknowledge the Recto series as being Mesa but that's just me :lol:

Again.. That's the great thing about having so many amps to choose from!!

Yup. I'm soo used to the smooth gain of the Mark series Boogies that the JVM took some tweaking because at first it was harsh sounding. Rectos too me can sound fizzy but not the Mark series amps unless the 6600 slider is all the way up!

Digital Jams":e6526 said:

Why???

Marshall has not made an amp I want to buy the past 20 years till now, why would this comment be bull shit??

What if you sell your JVM before next January :D You will probably say it ain't going anywhere but you haven't actually played one yet right? I was super excited when i first heard about the JVM, but after playing one i would say i like it, but i wouldn't buy one. Well i guess i did already but I'm know for sure I'm selling it. :)

Digital Jams":ded14 said:

Why???

So because YOU havent liked any of the Marshalls in 20 years, suddenly the 30th Anni, 900, and 2000 series are inferior(sound wise) compared to the JVM? :gethim: :D

Telephant":76f06 said:

IMHO the JVM is best "amp design" and tone wise design since 1987 (20 year ago) "from Marshall". The last one I liked from Marshall was the JCM 800 and that was before 87 about 25 years ago. DSL was ok but the JVM is much better.

Ive been playing too long and played too many amps to know better. Kidding myself I dont think so.

Telephant":76f06 said:

So because YOU havent liked any of the Marshalls in 20 years, suddenly the 30th Anni, 900, and 2000 series are inferior(sound wise) compared to the JVM? :gethim: :D

30th's arent a new design. 900's suck ass and IMHO JVM sounds much better than the DSL's.

danyeo":c16d7 said:

What if you sell your JVM before next January :D You will probably say it ain't going anywhere but you haven't actually played one yet right? I was super excited when i first heard about the JVM, but after playing one i would say i like it, but i wouldn't buy one. Well i guess i did already but I'm know for sure I'm selling it. :)

Dude, you had what like 20 mins playing that amp? An hour maybe? You sound like all the guys who played a Mark series amp and passed on them only to be blown away by them 20 years later!!!!!

(I kid..... I kid!! )

Gainfreak":288c7 said:

Steve had his Splawn for a while and IIRC he was the first to put in the Kt-77's. Harry and I played that sucker at Ear bleeding volumes through many different cabs and the amp never once sounded killer to my ears. Its just not an amp that i dig no matter how many times I revisited it.
I also did not care for the Makoplex either. I would take Vlads or my S/l over it in a NY min. We just have a differance of opinion Regarding Marshalls but we both have the same opinion on the Boogies!!! The Mark series Boogs = the definition of Liquid!!!

Did you hear Dan's Makoplex at my house that day Ralph? I LOVE that amp. It's the only Marshally amp that Ive ever played that sounds equally as good at low volumes as it does when it's cranked. That amp has THE BEST master volume that I've ever used...no shit. It's a lot smoother then other Marshally amps that are out there. The Makoplex has plenty of gain on it's own, and sounds amazing with either the Blues Pro or the BB Preamp kicking it up a few notches.

Telephant":7c8a8 said:

I did not say they were bad, just that I had no reason to buy them.

But to make you happy punk.......

The JVM corrected many design flaws that the TSL had.

The JVM clean is better than all the amps you listed.

The JVM can get more modern as well.

Added midi capabilities.

Goood think I love ya bro :gethim: :D

Gainfreak":496dc said:

Dude, you had what like 20 mins playing that amp? An hour maybe? You sound like all the guys who played a Mark series amp and passed on them only to be blown away by them 20 years later!!!!!

(I kid..... I kid!! )

The JVM sounds like a good Marshall, but i have been done with Marshalls for about 10 years. I used 3 Marshalls a lot in the early 90's so the JVM tone was familiar to me, the 3 i had were a 50 watt PLexi, a JCM800, and a JMP and i played out with them often and got to crank them, so i made friends with lots of soundmen LOL.

The JVM came off like a versatile good sounding Marshall and it does solve issues with volume and the channels and dual masters will be great for guys in gigging bands. I guess i was hoping it would have sounded less Marshally :D

And like i said earlier i wouldn't mind hearing it on some better cabs and speakers.

AmpliFIRE":8c381 said:

Did you hear Dan's Makoplex at my house that day Ralph? I LOVE that amp. It's the only Marshally amp that Ive ever played that sounds equally as good at low volumes as it does when it's cranked. That amp has THE BEST master volume that I've ever used...no shit. It's a lot smoother then other Marshally amps that are out there. The Makoplex has plenty of gain on it's own, and sounds amazing with either the Blues Pro or the BB Preamp kicking it up a few notches.
He only checked it out the first time it was there prior to the brgith mod, and fx loop update. Its a bit different after the update.

Back