A JVM showed up in a local store.

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
:|::QBB:
danhops":8a866 said:
:|::QBB:He only checked it out the first time it was there prior to the brgith mod, and fx loop update. Its a bit different after the update.

ahhh....gotcha! Call me later about your PM :cool:

danhops":5fd27 said:
:|::QBB:He only checked it out the first time it was there prior to the brgith mod, and fx loop update. Its a bit different after the update.

I just got one in and it's a LOT different then the first one I had...

ejecta":544bb said:

30th's arent a new design. 900's suck ass and IMHO JVM sounds much better than the DSL's.

The JCM 800 was made up until 1990, and in '92 the 30th was a completely new design with several features never before seen on a Marshall, or many other brands of amps.

I'm anxious to try out a JVM, but there have been a lot of great sounding Marshalls in the last 20 years. Jubilee, Single Channel and two channel 800's, JCM 900 SL-X's and there are some outstanding tones in the JCM 2000 series. Just because you don't like specific tones or amps doesn't mean they aren't worth a shit.

Marshall Freak":a1694 said:

The JCM 800 was made up until 1990, and in '92 the 30th was a completely new design with several features never before seen on a Marshall, or many other brands of amps.

I'm anxious to try out a JVM, but there have been a lot of great sounding Marshalls in the last 20 years. Jubilee, Single Channel and two channel 800's, JCM 900 SL-X's and there are some outstanding tones in the JCM 2000 series. Just because you don't like specific tones or amps doesn't mean they aren't worth a shit.

I didnt say they quit making the 800's and IMHO the older ones sound better than the reissues. Im talking about a design and the extra bells on an old design on the 30th arent a new design.

As for the rest of your post Id only agree with your Jubillee comment. IMHO all the 900 sereies I played sucked, the reissue 800's were ok but like I said not a new design, they were nice but not my cup of tea. For me the JVM is what this Marshall lover has been looking for for years. A great mix of modern tone and features with enough old school tone to fit that need too.

As for your "worth a shit" comment, since Im the one playing the amps and since Im not liking the feature or the tone, that does make the amp not a "worth a shit" to me.

The 30th was a completely new design. Using completely different preamp tubes for different gain stages, and stacking them differently for the channels as well as having multiple modes and midi make it just as much of a new design and the JVM.

ejecta":3886c said:

30th's arent a new design. 900's suck ass and IMHO JVM sounds much better than the DSL's.

Whatever you say. I could post a DSL clip right now and say its my superbass and none of you would know the difference.

What I heard at the demo was middle of the road Marshall tone.

That and I dont know why I even pay attention to a bunch of guys opinions on Marshalls when they are not even Marshall guys to begin with. :doh:

Marshall Freak":d5a1c said:
The 30th was a completely new design. Using completely different preamp tubes for different gain stages, and stacking them differently for the channels as well as having multiple modes and midi make it just as much of a new design and the JVM.

Ok I must be thinking of a different model. :confused:

Anyway the only reason I posted was really that someone to make a comment that someone who thinks the JVM is the best desing in 20 years is "kidding themselves" is a pretty pompous thing to say.

Maybe for them and their needs it is the best design in 20 years. Maybe for you the old one channels with pedals is. PLay what you like have opinons about what you like. But dont come off by telling others they dont know what they needs and opinons dont mean shit becasue they are "kidding themselves"

Telephant":b5b2a said:

That and I dont know why I even pay attention to a bunch of guys opinions on Marshalls when they are not even Marshall guys to begin with. :doh:

So stop posting you opinion about metal blues boy :P :D

Digital Jams":b4fee said:

So stop posting you opinion about metal blues boy :P :D

My band Dont Feed The Pigs plays shit way more metal than any of that 80's crap you listen to!!! :P :lol:

Anyway the only reason I posted was really that someone to make a comment that someone who thinks the JVM is the best desing in 20 years is "kidding themselves" is a pretty pompous thing to say.

Oh the fucking irony. Likewise about the "900 is shit and DSL sucks" comment. :loco:

I must have the special touch then because I can make every single one of those amps sound so close to a Vintage Marshall its ridiculous. :cool:

ejecta":f1ecd said:

Ok I must be thinking of a different model. :confused:

Maybe for them and their needs it is the best design in 20 years. Maybe for you the old one channels with pedals is. PLay what you like have opinons about what you like. But dont come off by telling others they dont know what they needs and opinons dont mean shit becasue they are "kidding themselves"

The 30th had 7 preamp tubes, and used them like Bogner does with the different channels using different tubes and stacking gain stages. (Like Mesa?)

My favorite amp is my '69 Super Lead cranked or with pedals. That said, I'm really looking forward to trying out a JVM, and hoping it does for me like you said. Old school Marshall, and up through modern tones. I'm skeptical about the quality of the "Old School" tones, I've gone through a shitload of channel switching amps and haven't been able to find that particular tone in any of them, but I'm hoping.

A friend of mine has a VH-4S, and a Herbert, and to be honest I don't like either one very well especially the VH-4S. That doesn't mean their not great amps, just not for me. It doesn't mean they're not worth a shit, just that I don't care for them.

Marshall Freak":adae4 said:
That doesn't mean their not great amps, just not for me. It doesn't mean they're not worth a shit, just that I don't care for them.

Exactly.

Telephant":ec694 said:

Whatever you say. I could post a DSL clip right now and say its my superbass and none of you would know the difference.

What I heard at the demo was middle of the road Marshall tone.

Maybe so but if I played your Superbass in person and a DSL then I could tell a big difference and thats all the matters right?

Just dont tell guys who think the JVM is best design for them in 20 years they kidding themselves because for them it is. Just like for you a Superbass with a pedal is.

Marshall Freak":b1127 said:
That doesn't mean their not great amps, just not for me. It doesn't mean they're not worth a shit, just that I don't care for them.

I understand what you are saying but we are talking about different things with the same words and I dont think you'll see where Im coming from.

Ive never once said my Superbass was the end all be all of Marshall tones. Its just another variation.

carlygtr56":9b705 said:

+1. I haven't met a Marshall yet, I've had difficulty dialing in a ball-crunching tone.
:

Thank you. It just seems since the new JVM came out everyone suddenly wants to dismiss everything Marshall has made in the past 20 years as shit.

Thats beyond preposterous IMO.

LMAO that movie scared the piss out of me when I was little.

carlygtr56":da609 said:
man, when I get miy JVM, I'm dialing MY sounds into it and be done with it.
Why anybody is comparing it to 20 year old outdated amps is beyond me.

MK-IV....decent clean, shit Ch 2, decent lead. I thought a MK-III had more gain and sounded more like a "Mark".

I had an original blue 30th ann Marshall head and cab. Great amp, but now, IMO, like the MK-IV OUTDATED.

I've heard guys get ripping tones thru the 900 series, even the shitty Dual reverb. Same with DSL and TSL. It's how you dial them in,....not piss and moan cause it doesn't sound like something else.

Lamb Of God and Dream Theater are 2 of the top current metal bands in the US and they get by just fine with an outdated MarkIV.

My IV i have now has more gain than any III i have played, i have an A version and for an amp with a decent lead it hasn't been touched in that department by anything else for high gain IMHO, and that includes $3000 and $4000 Diezels and Soldanos.

I'll give you this much, they should come out with another version of the IV with a better R2 and a lead boost.

i played the jvm at georges and man it was sweet i played a hellraiser thru it i didn't fuck with it much bit damn it was nice. nevertheless it's got the gooods

Telephant":7c644 said:

THis is some bullshit and anyone who actually believes it is kidding themselves.

Not counting the handwired overpriced stuff, what sounded better? Maybe the 6100, if you like that amp.

Back