A JVM showed up in a local store.

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
:|::QBB:
danyeo":579fe said:

I'll give you this much, they should come out with another version of the IV with a better R2 and a lead boost.

that would be so awesome!!! why dont they? so many people love the mark series.

Telephant":4e770 said:

Thank you. It just seems since the new JVM came out everyone suddenly wants to dismiss everything Marshall has made in the past 20 years as shit.

Thats beyond preposterous IMO.

I've been dismissing everything Marshall has made in the past 20 years as shit long before the JVM came out. :D

I can dial in the JCM900/JCM2000 Marshalls to sound pretty damn good on one sound, but when I compare them to a dozen other similarly priced and featured amps they just don't cut it to me.

And posting a recording is meaningless, damn near anything can sound good on tape. The true test for me is how it "feels" when I plug in and crank up. If it's not happening for me in a live setting then I have no use for it.

The allure of the JVM for me is the extreme versatility. I play with multiple bands, each doing different material, and each covering a wide variety of sounds. When you lug gear in and out of the truck 4 times a night efficiency becomes important to you (especially as you get older). You start bringing fewer guitars to gigs, leaving the 4x12 at home, etc. and a "Swiss army knife" style of amp means less gear to lug and a quicker and simpler setup/teardown.

I want to play one. I want to love it. I will compare one to my Splawn and if the overdrive sounds are equal or better in my opinion then I will make the change. I already think the JCM2000 clean sound is excellent (for a Marshall) and definitely good enough for any live work, so I know the cleans will work for me.

Telephant":b52a7 said:

Whatever you say. I could post a DSL clip right now and say its my superbass and none of you would know the difference.

That and I dont know why I even pay attention to a bunch of guys opinions on Marshalls when they are not even Marshall guys to begin with. :doh:

That is what i have been thinking as i have read most of the comments on the JVM. If I hear "it doesn't sound like my Mark whatever" one more time I am go gonna nuts :doh:. I am not a Mesa guy and never have been because...they don't sound like Marshalls! :eek: I would never expect a Marshall to sound Mesa-ish or vice versa... :D

im glad everybody is hyped about the new jvm but i wasnt blown away at all i bought one.
it just didnt do it for me, but if everybody else is happy then im glad.

killertone":eaaa8 said:

That is what i have been thinking as i have read most of the comments on the JVM. If I hear "it doesn't sound like my Mark whatever" one more time I am go gonna nuts :doh:. I am not a Mesa guy and never have been because...they don't sound like Marshalls! :eek: I would never expect a Marshall to sound Mesa-ish or vice versa... :D

I guess you missed the Marshall guys who kept saying that OD2 was going ot make all the Boogie guys sell their amps.

Telephant":38512 said:

Whatever you say. I could post a DSL clip right now and say its my superbass and none of you would know the difference.

Which is exactly why I think that you are missing the point. The point is every year for the last 20 + years Marshall has come out with another amp that has promissed something different and IMHO they consistently missed the mark. People have been asking marshall to come out with a firebreather for years and all we got was the one incantation of a 800/900 Diode clippers which was one the worst sounding pos high gainers that I have ever heard.(It actually wasn;t high gain at all IMHO) I don;t expect you to know this because I don't consider you a high gain type of guy but anyone who knows about high gain amps and who has played through an amp that gives great saturation will tell you how much of a POS most of the Marshalls so called high gain amps are/ were. Yeah...... I can make a 900 or a DSl / TSL sound like an old marshall ,but then I ask you, What the fuck is the point? If I wanted an old marshall tone, I would buy an Old Marshall or one of the many clones out there. The JVM is finally a Marshall for guys like us who have waited for them to finally get it right and IMHO Santiago got it right with his JVM design. Its the only HIGH gain Marshall that I consider high gain.

danyeo":35b8c said:

I guess you missed the Marshall guys who kept saying that OD2 was going ot make all the Boogie guys sell their amps.
I am pretty happy that it doesnt sound like a Boogie....if it did I would hate it. :P :)

Gainfreak":0fa9c said:

Which is exactly why you are missing the point. The point is every year for the last 20 + years Marshall has come out with another amp that has promissed something different and IMHO they consistently missed the mark. People have been asking marshall to come out with a firebreather for years and all we got was the one incantation of a 900 which was one the worst sounding pos high gainer that I have ever heard. I don;t expect you to know this because I don't consider you a high gain type of guy but anyone who knows about high gain amps and who has played through an amp that gives great saturation will tell you how much of a POS most of the Marshalls so called high gain ampsare/ were. Yeah...... I can make a 900 or a DSl / TSL sound like an old marshall ,but then I ask you, What the fuck is the point? If I wanted an old marshall tone, I would buy an Old Marshall. The JVM is finally a Marshall for guys like us who have waited for them to finally get it right and IMHO Santiago got it right with his JVM design. Its the only HIGH gain Marshall that I consider high gain.

I agree with you 100% on that. The JVM is different, it's still a Marshall and has a Marshall flavour but it's gainy enough for Boogie fans like myself to dig it. The main reason i have to sell mine is for financial reasons. All i have to do is NOT play it again because i might screw up and get it on a good sounding cab then I'll make up reasons to keep it :lol:

But i do hear what Telephant is saying. There are a few guys that have said this is the best Marshall in 20 years but have they owned every Marshall in the past 20 years? It surely is the most versatile though.

Greazygeo":469ee said:
:|::QBB:I am pretty happy that it doesnt sound like a Boogie....if it did I would hate it. :P :)

You have been denied membership to all HOM functions and privileges from this moment hence fourth. :no: ;)

danyeo":a32aa said:

Those guys are equally as ridiculous for saying that...the amps don't sound the same and are not supposed to...that was my only point. :D

zao":79201 said:
im glad everybody is hyped about the new jvm but i wasnt blown away at all i bought one.
it just didnt do it for me, but if everybody else is happy then im glad.

What are you into anyways??

You have cycled thorough a ton of amps, are you looking for something?

killertone":fc7f7 said:

Those guys are equally as ridiculous for saying that...the amps don't sound the same and are not supposed to...that was my only point. :D

I hear ya, regardless of what has been said it is a very good sounding amp.

And you're question marks in your avatar make me nerveous. :D

Digital Jams":a2010 said:

What are you into anyways??

You have cycled thorough a ton of amps, are you looking for something?

I just think he doesn't like to dust. :lol: :lol:

Gainfreak":45247 said:

Which is exactly why I think that you are missing the point. The point is every year for the last 20 + years Marshall has come out with another amp that has promissed something different and IMHO they consistently missed the mark. People have been asking marshall to come out with a firebreather for years and all we got was the one incantation of a 800/900 Diode clippers which was one the worst sounding pos high gainers that I have ever heard.(It actually wasn;t high gain at all IMHO) I don;t expect you to know this because I don't consider you a high gain type of guy but anyone who knows about high gain amps and who has played through an amp that gives great saturation will tell you how much of a POS most of the Marshalls so called high gain amps are/ were. Yeah...... I can make a 900 or a DSl / TSL sound like an old marshall ,but then I ask you, What the fuck is the point? If I wanted an old marshall tone, I would buy an Old Marshall or one of the many clones out there. The JVM is finally a Marshall for guys like us who have waited for them to finally get it right and IMHO Santiago got it right with his JVM design. Its the only HIGH gain Marshall that I consider high gain.

+1 Thanks for putting it that way Ralph. Thats eactly where I was coming from too.

danyeo":0897b said:

I heard shreder75's QuickRod with KT77's through Psycodaves cabinets. I forgot which cab he was using, probably Greenbacks and it just killed. When Paige had a QR i was never 100% into the way it sounded. It didn't sound that great on a Splawn cab loaded with some type of Eminence speakers.

hey, splawn police here =D

that's right..it was the pre rola greenies I beleive that were in teh cab you heard that day...

and I agree about the emis..swapped them for reissues greenies and couldn't be happier...

Gainfreak":8d6e0 said:

I'm sorry but I can't see A Mesa Mark series tone and fizz even remotely being used in the same sentence. They are without a doubt some of the smoothest sounding High gain amps IMHO. I don;t even acknowledge the Recto series as being Mesa but that's just me :lol:

Again.. That's the great thing about having so many amps to choose from!!

I loved my Mk III, but Brent SP had a Mark IV that sounded like it was gargling gravel. VERY rough sounding. Now, I was comparing it at the time to his XTC, but still - it sounded like a rock tumbler at a Boy Scout geode convention.

Pete

carlygtr56":4f36d said:

Exactly.
This guy bought the JVM to simply report he canned in within a day or two and how much better his Splawn is.
Do the math- Splawn ONE sound.........JVM- 12.

Meanwhile, IMO George's clips sound better than any Splawn clip I ever heard and I heard TONS.

The tone changes between the modes aren't that drastic IMHO, it really doesn't sound like 12 different tones. You could probably get other 3 channel amps to be almost as flexible with an EQ in the loop and an OD pedal.

Back