Robben Ford kicking ass

• Thread starter Thread starter Fiesta Red
  • Start date Start date
Fiesta Red
Fiesta Red
Wow! Incredible playing and tone. A tele never sounded so good. Thanks for posting this. Any idea what kind of amp he's using?

-Mark

Great vid, Robben Ford is one of my favs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=02GgaPU7JPo

Anyone know what chords and voicings he uses in this song (Freedom)?

Cool stuff.. Kick ass guitar player is Robben Ford. That Dumble turns that tele into warm honey (if that makes any sense).

i'm a humongous fan of robben's playing and tone, but truthfully i did not like his tele tones nearly as much as the tone he got with his fender signature guitar. and i've been to shows where he switched from one to the other.

also, his tone with his dumble/2290 rig is key. the super reverb/zendrive is cool, but not as 3-D

signature axe/dumble/2290....that to me is quintessential ford tone.

:|::QBB:
carlygtr56":de4ac said:
Great tune. I put the whole show up-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNXqAB9lSxM

I guess I’m the dissenter here. RF bores the crap out of me. I see and here nothing in this 3 chord standard garden variety blues tune that 90% of the forumites here on RT couldn’t burry RF with.

His tone, mediocre at best. His phrasing, and choice of melody, mediocre at best.

carlygtr56":1fffb said:

That is his Dumble/2290 setup.

i know, and don't get me wrong it's really nice with the tele, but the fender sig model, as well a his signature baker i might add, define why he is one of the tone elite.

King Crimson":da946 said:

I guess I’m the dissenter here. RF bores the crap out of me. I see and here nothing in this 3 chord standard garden variety blues tune that 90% of the forumites here on RT couldn’t burry RF with.

His tone, mediocre at best. His phrasing, and choice of melody, mediocre at best.

rf is very reserved for the most part, but don't be fooled by the simplicity of what he plays---same can be said about george benson's tune "on broadway" but if you've ever heard gb or rf for that matter unleash his encyclopedia of chords and scales over very complex changes, and experience his live tone, you would change your pov.

he's awesome...

I dont listen to him a ton but his more "uptown" blues aproach is much more interesting to me than the latest SRV clone...

I have his instructional dvd "blues and beyond"

I really wish I could play blues over the changes like that!!!

Can't say his singing is the greatest..but much , much better than Eric Johnson as a vocalist...

mentoneman":77223 said:

rf is very reserved for the most part, but don't be fooled by the simplicity of what he plays---same can be said about george benson's tune "on broadway" but if you've ever heard gb or rf for that matter unleash his encyclopedia of chords and scales over very complex changes, and experience his live tone, you would change your pov.

Would you point me to some of RF's more "complex" material?

Alan Holdsworth is another one that makes me feel sleepy.

carlygtr56":4c34a said:

No offence, but 90% couldnt play a decent blues, IMO
Not to say they arent great players, but blues isnt as easy as it seems.

I know all about the blues. My Dad's played it all his life on the 12 (http://www.wirz.de/music/gerlafrm.htm) and has played with the very best and even lived with Huddie Ledbetter, aka Leadbelly for some time back in the day.

carlygtr56":de6b8 said:

Then you should kinda like Ford!!
I put the whole show up. Check it out.

I will Carl. Thanks!

I guess I'm a bit biased, as the blues guys I've been introduced to through my Father are some of the greatest blues legends ever, and they consider my Father to be a 12 string blues legend too. And to boot, he built his own 6 and 12 strings back in the day.

It's a very different blues genre, the original. Stuff that the likes of Buddy Guy worship. Much different than the stuff you here in the late 60s and such.

Back