Bogner XTC Classic Review!

• Thread starter Thread starter mrp5150
  • Start date Start date
mrp5150
mrp5150
I think this smiley will basically say it all... :worship:

This amp is absolutely incredible, hands down the most impressive amp I've ever played. I can't believe some of you guys were saying it wouldn't have enough gain, because it has way more than enough for any style of metal IMO. I preferred using a boost with it, but not because it didn't have enough gain, just because it tightened up the amp a bit and just gave it a bit more edge.

So many options and features on this amp, but the most impressive part is that pretty much all of the choices sound awesome. I've played a lot of amps with a ton of features where most of them sound like shit, so you're basically stuck with just using one setting or another, but not this thing. Class A and AB both sound awesome, half and full power are both great, I found myself using Loose, Tight, and Medium modes for different things, I actually used all 3 channels, etc. It's like nothing ever sounds bad, it would be very hard (even for me) to get bored with all the tones in this thing.

The red channel sounded awesome for the low tuned high gain stuff I play, pretty dark voicing overall, but cranking the presence fixed that. I ended up liking Medium mode the best for rhythms. The blue channel sounds amazing for mid gain tones, I've never had so much fun playing lower gain rock/hard rock type stuff. I was amazed how well this thing sounded for Iron Maiden tones as well, another huge plus for me. I also loved the lead tone with the blue channel and used it more than the red for leads. Medium and Loose modes both sounded the best for this channel to me. Playing leads on this thing is just so fun, I definitely spent more time playing lead over rhythm the last 4 days.

The clean channel was really nice, VERY chimey sounding, but not as good as the Blackmore or Einstein IMO. I guess that would be my only real "complaint" with the amp, because everything else is perfect. I love the switchable effect loop too, every amp should have that.

Like I said, this amp is incredible, and I really wish I could afford to keep it, but I can't. I'll definitely be buying another one of these in the future when I can afford to keep it. I'll stop rambling on though, I'm sure not many people will read all of my bullshit anyways. :D

Here are some pics...

a05c6c46.jpg

803c119d.jpg

c7baa411.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

7ec33389.jpg

Great review. One of my favorite amps ever. :bang:

nice review, i loved the xtc 101b i had. i also played the classic and would like to get one someday. but im broke with all the guitars i got coming in.

:|::QBB:
Marshall Freak":24dac said:
Great review. One of my favorite amps ever. :bang:

How different are the other XTC models from the Classic? Don't some XTC's go for around $2000 or so used, or am I way off?

I figured you'd like it Mega, too bad you gotta sell it. You should def. try a Ubershall sometime if you haven't already.

Can someone give me the rundown on all the XTC Models?

Megadeth7684":d5a23 said:

How different are the other XTC models from the Classic? Don't some XTC's go for around $2000 or so used, or am I way off?

A 101B without the A/B will sometimes go as low as 2300.00 or so. I think Argonaut4 just sold one for that a month or so ago.

They're a bit different in tones, but mostly in feel. The 101B is a little more compressed, but it has a little more gain while the Classic has a bit more of a raw or open tone and fee. I've had both, and I love both. They're both different enough that I'd like to have both, but close enough in tone that I can't justify it!.

I saw BrentSP posting at TGP the other day with clips someone did of both amps. I'll see if I can find it.

Found it;

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=221611&highlight=Bogner+XTC+Classic

CaseyCor":cde97 said:
I figured you'd like it Mega, too bad you gotta sell it. You should def. try a Ubershall sometime if you haven't already.

Can someone give me the rundown on all the XTC Models?

The original was the 100B, and they only made a few hundred. Then there's the 101B, the 101A (6L6's) and the Classic which is supposed to sound the most like the original 100B

I would have to sell my Blackmore AND my Vigier to be able to keep it...then I would have to buy some cheap guitar. :doh:

Megadeth7684":0099a said:
I would have to sell my Blackmore AND my Vigier to be able to keep it...then I would have to buy some cheap guitar. :doh:
Oh c'mon! Thats the "I love my Blackmore" side of you talking. Do it!!!! :D

Megadeth7684":6363e said:
I've ever played. I can't believe some of you guys were saying it wouldn't have enough gain, because it has way more than enough for any style of metal IMO.
Well I thought I may like one...but now I think it may have way too much gain for me. :D

Back