Marshall Vintage Modern IN THE HOUSE

:|::QBB:
CaseyCor":3f056 said:
Zep, I thought you cancelled your VM order?

Congrats on the sweet amp, now we need clips!

Question: Does the VM have an EFX. Loop? If so, run the Eventide though it!

His rack setup requires no effects loops, which is why it gives the purest tone.

Cool stuff John. I admit I didn't spend enough time with it to get a definite opinion on it but from I heard, the classic Marshall was in there.

Chubtone":9f498 said:
I learned to not trust any reviews of any amps unless it's from a guy I've heard clips of. When I was a Mojave dealer, I had SO many guys come in from the Plexi Palace, HC, Huge Racks, and the Gear Page forums to test out the amps. Many of them were very popular and seemed to be respected by the other forum members and many of them owned killer gear. They would walk in with some beautiful boutique guitar and I'd hook them up to a Mojave and they would start playing and after about 5 seconds I would be like, "what is going on here? This can't possibly be superguitarmaestro17 from such and such a page. That guy is an expert and apparently a monster from the way he comes off". I'm talking about them sounding like a student that had been playing for a year or so or having no sense of rhythm at all. I'm not talking about them not being monsters, I'm talking about them not even being good players.... at all.

But no....... time and time and time again I saw the same thing. It was ridiculous. Plus the Mojave wouldn't sound good in those guys hands at all. You had to man-handle those things and let them know who the boss was. Later that night I'd go on-line and read poor reviews from the guy who had just tried out the amp. A couple of times I PM'd them and said "would you like me to give a review of your playing on that same thread?" Strangely those threads were deleted very quickly. So now, I have a very wary view of internet reviews by guys I've never heard play.

LOL! Hey, I suck and I manage to make the Mojaves sound good. They just seems to fit my personal suckitude. :lol:

Steve

SgtThump":da2b8 said:
Cool, John. You're the only one I've seen so far own one. I've played one twice now in the store and both time got some killer tones! It wasn't very easy to tweak, though. It could get flubby or trebly real fast, but once I found the sweet spots, it sounded great.

I think the VintageModern is a great amp!

Dude its sounds killler, If you drop of the "body" a tad you will lose any flubb you are hearing, this thing had the brutal sound of the DSL with more clarity. I also just goit the cab with it that is supposed to have the JimimHendrix celestions in it, they sound INSANE, clips will follow..............John

For those asking I have never been interested in the 4 channel beast althouit they sounded greatb too.....................

mentoneman":33c63 said:
face it zep,
what you really want is a

PEACEMAKER

Pat,
$3150 for the Peacemaker and $1350 for the Vintage Modern? What I wanted was a Ferrari. What I'm driving is an M3. By the way I still have my Peacemaker and still love it, but the VM really surprised me at NAMM.

Chubtone":21ef1 said:

Pat,
$3150 for the Peacemaker and $1350 for the Vintage Modern? What I wanted was a Ferrari. What I'm driving is an M3. By the way I still have my Peacemaker and still love it, but the VM really surprised me at NAMM.

True, but now that you have a PeaceMaker it wouldn't be worth it to sell it. You couldn't get enough...

Steve

sah5150":844f0 said:

True, but now that you have a PeaceMaker it wouldn't be worth it to sell it. You couldn't get enough...

Steve

True, but I've had the amp more than three years and haven't considered selling it yet. Used Mojave prices are a bargain.

Chubtone":cf80c said:

True, but I've had the amp more than three years and haven't considered selling it yet. Used Mojave prices are a bargain.

No doubt and I wouldn't sell mine either.

Steve

the price is steep, but the tone that the Peacemaker gets is something i haven't heard in any other amp.

not taking anything away from other great amps...and i haven't heard the new marshall put through the paces, but i just can't imagine anything knocking the PM off the rock tone perch very easily.

a mojave peacemaker and a two rock opal in a w/d/w rig with my pal zach's bradshaw rack would do me just fine!

sah5150":e31ad said:

No doubt and I wouldn't sell mine either.

Steve

For a few years, I have owned the Blue EL-34 30th Anniversary 6100 Marshall and I really like the amp. However; After having the Mojave Peacemaker, for almost 6 months, I realize that it is the best Marshall that Marshall never made. IMO of course...

I may actually sell the Anniversary head, but the jury is still out on that.

I haven't personally played the new MArshall line yet, but John played some for me over the phone and it did indeed sound nice and chirpy and clear. Seemed to have a very nice taper with the guitar volume knob, cleaning up very well, with lots of gain on tap too.

mentoneman":f64c8 said:
the price is steep, but the tone that the Peacemaker gets is something i haven't heard in any other amp.

not taking anything away from other great amps...and i haven't heard the new marshall put through the paces, but i just can't imagine anything knocking the PM off the rock tone perch very easily.

a mojave peacemaker and a two rock opal in a w/d/w rig with my pal zach's bradshaw rack would do me just fine!

MMM, nice combination there... Add a Mojave Plexi45 and a Egnater M100 woo hoo... :D

The Peacemaker definately gets a tone that I haven't gotten in ANY other amp either. Everytime I plug in, I get all nostalgic and remember why I love the sound of electric guitars, all the while thinking holy crap, that thing sounds insane. I now believe that one would have to be a savant to dial in a bad tone on it.

zepman":9ff00 said:

Dude its sounds killler, If you drop of the "body" a tad you will lose any flubb you are hearing, this thing had the brutal sound of the DSL with more clarity. I also just goit the cab with it that is supposed to have the JimimHendrix celestions in it, they sound INSANE, clips will follow..............John

For those asking I have never been interested in the 4 channel beast althouit they sounded greatb too.....................

Hey bro post your settings for me! I played one today for awhile and I was totally turned off. I experienced a lot of Chris is talking about...

Its like I was fighting the amp to make it sound. :confused:

Telephant":8927c said:

Hey bro post your settings for me! I played one today for awhile and I was totally turned off. I experienced a lot of Chris is talking about...

+1 Just got to play one at lunch. I didnt like it at all. Just like Shea and Chris it was wierd to dial in. It got flubby and trebly real fast. IMHO the JVM has much nicer tone.

Telephant":7de0a said:

Just start with everything at 12:00 and tweak from there and I am running my detail at 12:00 and the body at 11:00(the Mullard in V-1 doesnt hurt :thumbsup: )

i played one today and thought it was a very nice marshall amp.

it appealed to me more than the dsl/tsl marshalls, but not more than the JVM.

the sales guy kept diming the tone controls and trying to make me play it cranked.

i kept looking for a setting where i could roll off the gtr volume and clean up, and then turn up to get it to bark.

it never really did that to my satisfaction. but set clean it was really nice, but not as nice as the JVM clean i heard.

and ultimately, unless someone posts a clip of either the JVM or VM that matches or exceeds this tone:

numero uno

i'm gonna stick to mojaves

carlygtr56":0690c said:
I owned the Peacemaker. Nice amp for what it was.
The tone bank seemed to be modeled after VH II.

IMO, it's a $2000 amp.
When I got my Germino Headroom-100, I heard what I didn't like about the PM. Too smooth. The PM didn't have the raw edge in the treble and presence like the Marshalls I'm used to.
I boxed the PM and shitcanned it.

That said, I shitcanned the Germino as well, after getting my Heritage Colonial.

That said, the Heritage Colonial may also go, cause as far as I'm concerned, the JVM smokes them all.
I can easily make the JVM my pedal base to run my pedals thru.

You can crank the Peacemaker for EVH.......or run it cleaner with pedals, but IMO, the JVM sends it back to the Mojave desert with it's tubes between it's legs.

Overrated, overpriced.....the JVM slaughters it in many of it's modes. :lol:

You have my interest peaked now!!! Can't wait to hear a clip of it doing that VH tone, that the Peacemaker does so well, and smoking it. (waits patiently, but not holding breath)

carlygtr56":2d68b said:

Go to GC with your little VH guitar and have at it.

EVH didn't use Peacemakers. He used Marshalls.
The PM doesn't sound like 95% of the VH I ever heard, just VH II, which is no suprise cause I heard thats what they modeled the PM's tone bank on.

So yeah, IMO, the JVM blows smoke rings around it in quite a few of it's modes, WITHOUT the need for a Hot plate, Power Reduction, or pedals.....at nearly HALF the price.

I don't want to argue with you Carl. I am aware of Eddie's use of Marshalls. I've had a few myself ;) and they didn't sound as much like Eddie's Marshall tone as the Peacemaker does, not even close at all.

BTW, I definately didn't pay retail for my stuff, not even close.

1. There are no Guitar Centers in Hawaii.
2. I am truly anxious to hear it do that tone.
3. I know you record great clips, so if you would be so kind, it'd be most appreciated. :thumbsup: EAGERLY awaiting. I know if it can be done, you can do it. VH1, VH2, Fair Warning any of these would be GREAT! ALL of them would be AWESOME!!!

Back