OT: Judas Priest Fans....

• Thread starter Thread starter jonny toetags
  • Start date Start date
jonny toetags
jonny toetags
....what are the essential (older) albums?

The only CD i own is Painkiller (that i bought in '90).

You need Unleashed in the East for certain. They have a lot of very early stuff but two albums that really pushed them over the edge in the U.S. and are killer are British Steel and Point of Entry.

:|::QBB:
Bob Savage":0b085 said:
You need Unleashed in the East for certain. They have a lot of very early stuff but two albums that really pushed them over the edge in the U.S. and are killer are British Steel and Point of Entry.

Definitely British Steel, Defenders of the Faith, and Screaming For Vengeance. Oh, and a +1 to Unleashed in the East. That is one of the best live albums ever...my JP tribute band does it front to back...:thumbsup:

IMHO, Priest has never made an album that has been as good as Painkiller.

killertone":40479 said:

Definitely British Steel, Defenders of the Faith, and Screaming For Vengeance. Oh, and a +1 to Unleashed in the East. That is one of the best live albums ever...my JP tribute band does it front to back...:thumbsup:

+1 british steel. screaming and defenders are both awsome albums. the new album is pretty fucking good too. i am bias though, i even like turbo. halford rulz. also try halford's solo stuff. and for something a little different(but very cool) try the double live "meltdown 98" with ripper. its awsome. they do like 4 shitty tunes off of jugulator but everything else is old. its cool as hell hearing ripper do it all. and theres an incredible version of diamonds in rust on it.

British Steel and Screaming for Vengence are a must.

Their early stuff is cool, but not as "metal" sounding. Great tunes but the production on those albums are as dry as a bone (especially drums). What really get my boat floating is the older priest songs played live with their more modern guitar tones! :D

Also, Halford - Live insurrection is a must have live album for any metal head. His band plays some of them old priest songs amazing! (ie: Stained Class :eek: )

Sevens":40791 said:
British Steel and Screaming for Vengence are a must.

Their early stuff is cool, but not as "metal" sounding. Great tunes but the production on those albums are as dry as a bone (especially drums). What really get my boat floating is the older priest songs played live with their more modern guitar tones! :D

Also, Halford - Live insurrection is a must have live album for any metal head. His band plays some of them old priest songs amazing! (ie: Stained Class :eek: )

I am looking for the less metal stuff :D

IMO they only have 3 Halford era clunkers: Rocka Rolla, Turbo and Ram it Down. The rest is essential. The 2nd half of Point of Entry isn't too hot either, but its worth having for the 1st half.

My favorite albums from one of my favorite bands are:

Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
British Steel
Point of Entry

killertone":237aa said:

Have to agree, British Steel put them on the map and Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith define Priest in my book. Being a Limey I have seen Priest live about 8 times and the Defenders tour and the Turbo tour were by far the best. I love Painkiller the track but just don't think the rest of the album is as good as SFV or DOTF. No duff songs on those albums at all.

Also blasphemy as it may be, Ripper Cain blew Halford away live!

:doh: :gethim:

Hell Bent For Leather is Classic Metal. One of the top ten greatest 'Metal' albums ever IMO. 'Before The Dawn' has one of the best guitar solos you will ever hear. Simple yet elegant and damn beautiful.

jonny toetags":1b771 said:
....what are the essential (older) albums?

The only CD i own is Painkiller (that i bought in '90).

Just get everything up to and including Screaming for Vengeance.

They all kick ass for various reasons.

Some of my personal favorites:

Sad Wings
Unleashed
Point of Entry
Hel Bent

Sad Wings is probably my favorite of all their albums if I had to pick just one. Not heavy by todays standards, but AWSOME!!!!!

Tipton and Downing are my favorite 2 guitar attack and are VERY underappreciated IMHO. Their interplay is awsome!

Sad Wings was the one with Victim of Changes right? That is my favorite Priest tune.

I say get the box set if you can swing it! Sad Wings and Hell Bent are the 2 to get if you can't get the box set, IMO.

kebabeater":c7f4e said:

Have to agree, British Steel put them on the map and Screaming for Vengeance and Defenders of the Faith define Priest in my book. Being a Limey I have seen Priest live about 8 times and the Defenders tour and the Turbo tour were by far the best. I love Painkiller the track but just don't think the rest of the album is as good as SFV or DOTF. No duff songs on those albums at all.

Also blasphemy as it may be, Ripper Cain blew Halford away live!

:doh: :gethim:

Ripper who? .......you mean Ripper OWENS???

Screaming for me is the best, it was just light years ahead of its time Vocally and musically it pushed the envelope. I remember hearing Electric Eye the first time and going what the $$$$ is that.
Devils Child,Pain n Pleasure,Fever ...Amazing listen to the vocal in the last verse it will make your hair stand up ..Halford at his peak and why he is one of the most respected voices in rock

Back