Modded PEAVEY windsor

• Thread starter Thread starter BURNTHISCORPSE
  • Start date Start date
BURNTHISCORPSE
BURNTHISCORPSE
i was at Jerry P's house yesterday dropping off my head for re-tolex and full frontal labotomy. while i was there i got to hear Jerry's windsor. :shocked: :shocked: :rawk:

HOLY SHIT. it sounded awsome!!!!! more gain than any stock jcm 800 or plexi. great voicing. it had an added clean channel(which was killer) and the boost function was modded to actually be a true signal boost. what a killer amp. I seriously am going to get one just to have. and having amps around that i dont always play isnt like me either. not to say i wouldnt use it, but for the price... . i remember the hype before they came out and i never really paid attention. then they dissapeared. and like the penta, have not caught on yet. which is why i had a hard time trying to sell my penta :thumbsdown: .
point being.....marshall 800 style tone but not so bright and a little peavey flavor there (to my ears anyhow)with alot more gain. nice and thick. smooth yet full (its a fuckin lite beer :no: ) .

I don't get why that amp didn't take off....I remember all the buzz about it, and even when it came out, it got decent reviews. It never got the Blackmore or JVM buzz, and for that pricepoint, it probably should've.

i think everyone (including me) figured $400 for a new tube amp must be garbage. the way jerry described it to me (and i am not quoting him directly) was something along the lines of.....the parts are the same peavey parts being used.
so that tells me that they are just using cheap chinese labor. he said the build quality was ok. i was expecting.......well probably what everyone else was. CRAP. for the price, i'm gonna take a chance. i'm not one to jump into something like the JVM for $1750 without experiencing it first. but hell for $400 new and let alone used?

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":333ac said:
I played a short 1 hour gig with a Windsor 2 months ago (it belonged to someone else) and I had one at my house for a few days. I think the amp in it's stock form sounds great. Not the best thing in the world, but gosh damn good sounding and for only $450 or whatever, it's incredible.

Chris

exactly......and you should hear it modded :inlove:

BURNTHISCORPSE":97e59 said:
i think everyone (including me) figured $400 for a new tube amp must be garbage. the way jerry described it to me (and i am not quoting him directly) was something along the lines of.....the parts are the same peavey parts being used.
so that tells me that they are just using cheap chinese labor. he said the build quality was ok. i was expecting.......well probably what everyone else was. CRAP. for the price, i'm gonna take a chance. i'm not one to jump into something like the JVM for $1750 without experiencing it first. but hell for $400 new and let alone used?

I agree....outside of the 5150, there isn't too much Peavey love here. I grabbed a VTM 60 off of skeezBay for $150, and after retubing it, that might be one the best sounding amps I got for the money. The Windsor is very similar to the Butcher/VTM series.....

Glad you liked it Dave! :thumbsup: I like it more myself everytime I hear it. The Windsor is actually very different from the VTM. I was told it was going to be similar, but it's a lot different. Very neat amp, I'm still realizing the potential each day as I spend more time with it. Build quality is nice and much better than I expected after seeing other Chinese amps <cough> Madison <cough> :thumbsdown: I have my second one here I bought to experiment on when I have the time.
Jerry

JerryP":59216 said:
Glad you liked it Dave! :thumbsup: I like it more myself everytime I hear it. The Windsor is actually very different from the VTM. I was told it was going to be similar, but it's a lot different. Very neat amp, I'm still realizing the potential each day as I spend more time with it. Build quality is nice and much better than I expected after seeing other Chinese amps <cough> Madison <cough> :thumbsdown: I have my second one here I bought to experiment on when I have the time.
Jerry

Jerry...sold the classic 50 we spoke about..selling the Windsor?

tubesteakfortone":1d81a said:

Jerry...sold the classic 50 we spoke about..selling the Windsor?

Absolutely, this Windsor will be for sale once it's modded.
Jerry

What would those mods run someone if they sent a head to you? You can PM me if you don't want to advertise.

I played a stock Peavey Windsor at the local GC and loved it! I would love to have one, especially at that price point. I'm a little too young to know a true JCM800 tone that everyone raves about...I've heard them on CD and stuff, but no one around here plays one...But, to my ears, it did the old school thrash tone pretty darn good. I'd love one to pair with my 6505+. But, I've got other amps in my sights first.

strungup":2c131 said:

http://www.fjamods.com/Windsor.html

Deep discounts on multiple mods! I'm coming up with mods still for the Windsor so mods will be added to my site and there may be some package prices there too.
Jerry

Ultron":43678 said:

I agree....outside of the 5150, there isn't too much Peavey love here. I grabbed a VTM 60 off of skeezBay for $150, and after retubing it, that might be one the best sounding amps I got for the money. The Windsor is very similar to the Butcher/VTM series.....

I wouldn't agree with that statement (there isn't too much Peavey love here). I know several people have Rockmaster pre's, and a few people had/have JSX's and XXX/XXL's, but I do agree that the 5150 is the top o' the heard!

My local Samuel Music has a Windsor in stock :eek: which is crazy because they usually don't stock shit as far as nice(er) gear, but they are pretty cheap amps. I'll definatly give it a spin next time im there!

BURNTHISCORPSE":e90fb said:
i was at Jerry P's house yesterday dropping off my head for re-tolex and full frontal labotomy. while i was there i got to hear Jerry's windsor. :shocked: :shocked: :rawk:

HOLY SHIT. it sounded awsome!!!!! ........

I forgot to tell you, you should hear it with EMG's and a drop tuned guitar! :thumbsup:
Jerry

i will bring my hellraiser with 707's when i come back up. :gethim:

They probably didn't take off because stores might not be stocking them.

Only recently did the GC here get one, and for a LONG time, it was seriously just ONE. I am not aware of anywhere else ever having them, including the Sam Ash here. GC just got two more now that haven't sold, but that might be because they keep them in the part with the random assortment of heads and cabs that isn't in plain view. The first one went quick. I play them both with different cabs every time I go in there, and despite the fact that I am usually just trying out new stuff, I usually end up spending lots of time just playing those because I like them.

Not even considering the price, I actually like it a lot more than the vast majority of amps stores around here tend to have. Considering the price, it's just about nuts.

Unfortunately, it basically can't do cleans, which sucks. It's still a good idea, though. It does one thing, and it does it pretty well for cheap.

If you stand the playing and get to about 3 minutes of this clip you can hear some clean done with the Windsor.
Windsor Clean
You're right, stock the clean is pretty much non existent.
Jerry

If you plug into the low gain input and crank the master, it still breaks up with really low gain if you play a chord and give it much oomph, even when I played it with a Strat haha.

I have always been so interested in this amp. I have never seen one in person anywhere. Never at shows, stores, friends houses, nothing! I am going to try to talk my local store into ordering one.

Back