Yeow Ralphy! Coliseum help.

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
thiswaythatway
thiswaythatway
Yes, i want to run around a coliseum in a toga. ;)

No, actually, i only played your Coliseum for a few minutes but does that amp act like other Boogies at low volumes? I know that bitch could probably knock down your walls, i bet it has immense head room on the clean channel.

And that head is 300watts right? There's someone near me selling a MarkIIB Coliseum. Although i have never played a IIB but i have yet to play a Mark amp that i didn't like.

yes, I'm so broke too! :D

Damn that's a LOT of amp. :eek:

I asked about that a few weeks ago, and he said they were the same as the rest of the marks at low volume. :thumbsup:

:|::QBB:
Marshall Freak":a8606 said:
Damn that's a LOT of amp. :eek:

I asked about that a few weeks ago, and he said they were the same as the rest of the marks at low volume. :thumbsup:

There's one near me in HARDWOOD, I'm a sucker for those hardwood headshells :lol: And the IIB is often overlooked for the IIC's. The IIB was the first Mark amps with simulclass and effect loops. I never played one though.

danyeo":dd832 said:

No, actually, i only played your Coliseum for a few minutes but does that amp act like other Boogies at low volumes? I know that bitch could probably knock down your walls, i bet it has immense head room on the clean channel.

And that head is 300watts right? There's someone near me selling a MarkIIB Coliseum. Although i have never played a IIB but i have yet to play a Mark amp that i didn't like.

Yeah bro!! Acts just like a regular Boogie... The master volume kills and sounds great at any volume. I usually use half power just to knock it down a bit but no worries!!

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that its more like 150 to 180 watts not 300. I have no idea why they called it the coliseum 300!!! :D

Gainfreak":8df80 said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that its more like 150 to 180 watts not 300. I have no idea why they called it the coliseum 300!!! :D

Yeah, i just read that on the Boogie files site. I think, in theory, it can clip at 300 watts. Have you ever played a IIB?

danyeo":0c294 said:

Yeah, i just read that on the Boogie files site. I think, in theory, it can clip at 300 watts. Have you ever played a IIB?

Yes I have played a IIB and for a lack of a better description, they are very pocessed sounding. They really warp out on the gain when you put something in the loop!! (in a cool way)
Definite Brad gillis tone!!

danyeo":8a716 said:

That's make sense; most amps put out far more wattage when wide open than they're rated at. So if it's really rated between 150-180 watts, I could see it pushing out around 300 when cranked.

I'm sure the FAA would be showing up at your house wondering where you're hiding the F-22, though :D

So how much is this thing going for???

I see sending that amp to Mike B. for some tweaks.

I just fired up the Mark III Bluestripe, for shits and giggles...I forgot the responsiveness on that amp....man, it's so easy to shred on!

Variable, I'll bring it to our next amp fest.....you'll dig it!

i had the IIb 300 series. before i had it modified to simulclass it supposedly chucked out close to 300 watts. it was r. smith's attempt at creating an amp loud enough for an arena. the back of that amp looked like a case of coca cola circa 72. lots of glass.

the simul mod dropped it to the modest 180 watt level.
:doh: should have probably kept it as a collector. randall smith signed that amp himself and it was a wood/wicker deal.

but the master volume on mine was touchier than a 6 year old in a dentist chair. eventually why i sold it.

if you *looked* at the volume knob wrong you'd be pinned to the far wall like roadkill.

i went from an ampeg V4 at 120 watts loaded with 7027as, to that mIIb at 300 watts chock full of 6L6s, to a plush 3000G at 120 watts stuffed with 6550s. the plush when cranked caused a noise in my inner ear that sounded like someone rustling a bag of potato chips against my brain.

back to the mIIb...
nice clean, not great. great crunch. sorta woofy lead tone without much squish at all. think EARLY santana minus the kazoo. shared tone controls made it a beast to get two simultaneously useable tones on it.

the IIc and the III are totally different beasts IMO.

mentoneman":aed1f said:
i had the IIb 300 series. before i had it modified to simulclass it supposedly chucked out close to 300 watts. it was r. smith's attempt at creating an amp loud enough for an arena. the back of that amp looked like a case of coca cola circa 72. lots of glass.

the simul mod dropped it to the modest 180 watt level.
:doh: should have probably kept it as a collector. randall smith signed that amp himself and it was a wood/wicker deal.

but the master volume on mine was touchier than a 6 year old in a dentist chair. eventually why i sold it.

if you *looked* at the volume knob wrong you'd be pinned to the far wall like roadkill.

i went from an ampeg V4 at 120 watts loaded with 7027as, to that mIIb at 300 watts chock full of 6L6s, to a plush 3000G at 120 watts stuffed with 6550s. the plush when cranked caused a noise in my inner ear that sounded like someone rustling a bag of potato chips against my brain.

back to the mIIb...
nice clean, not great. great crunch. sorta woofy lead tone without much squish at all. think EARLY santana minus the kazoo. shared tone controls made it a beast to get two simultaneously useable tones on it.

the IIc and the III are totally different beasts IMO.

Pat, doesnt the Egnater 1x12 just sound unbelievable?

Digital Jams":8f262 said:
So where is this amp Danny?!?!?!?!?!?

Funny thing, the amp for sale is one i saw in a local music shop years ago. I was emailing the guy yesterday about it and he was going to send me pics. But he did have an auction on Ebay but with no pics on the auction and with a BIN of $1250.

So while i was out all day today he LOWERS his BIN and posts pics and some fucking asshole buys it.

crying.gif

banghead.gif

ranting.gif

danyeo":a20ec said:

Funny thing, the amp for sale is one i saw in a local music shop years ago. I was emailing the guy yesterday about it and he was going to send me pics. But he did have an auction on Ebay but with no pics on the auction and with a BIN of $1250.

So while i was out all day today he LOWERS his BIN and posts pics and some fucking asshole buys it.

crying.gif

banghead.gif

ranting.gif

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Digital Jams":5bae2 said:

Although, I'm not upset, the more i read about IIb's the more i think i wouldn't need one. I have a much better plan of attack to regain some former IIC+ glory. I hear Mike B does the IIC+ mod for $200 on a IIC! CHA CHING. I see IIC amps selling for as low as $600, and even with the EQ. Beam me up Scotty and FUCK the inflated prices.

danyeo":e7905 said:

180 Watts. Yes, mine it responds the same way at low volumes that other MK Boogies do.

Here is a clip that mentoneman recorded of mine at bedroom levels: Lame playing on my part, but the tone is there. Master Volume was on 1. This one has the Simul-Class circuit and it ALWAYS runs in simul-Class mode. The 1/2 power switch only drops power.

Zachman":836d0 said:

180 Watts. Yes, mine it responds the same way at low volumes that other MK Boogies do.

Here is a clip that mentoneman recorded of mine at bedroom levels: Lame playing on my part, but the tone is there

If the amp was dialed in for a lot less gain it could probably sound somewhat like a Marshall. What type of speakers are you using there?

My days with V30 are already over :lol: I'm getting a Mojo 4x12 and loading it with either h30's or Greens. And i want to add a 2x12 with MC90's.

That clean sounds AMAZING. Very close to EJ.

danyeo":c26af said:

If the amp was dialed in for a lot less gain it could probably sound somewhat like a Marshall. What type of speakers are you using there?

My days with V30 are already over :lol: I'm getting a Mojo 4x12 and loading it with either h30's or Greens. And i want to add a 2x12 with MC90's.

That clean sounds AMAZING. Very close to EJ.

For Marshally tones I used it on the clean channel w/ R2 pulled and a MXR Dyna Comp output maxes and threshold at 1 o'clock.

I was using it with 3 Marshall 4x12's w/ Celestion G12-H30's, 4 6L6's and 2 EL34's

1gear.jpg

boogie%20back.jpg

Boogie%20settings.jpg

Back