What did the guy in Faith No More use on Epic?

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
thiswaythatway
thiswaythatway
Yeah, sure i know that guitar player sucked :o But anyway i love that rhythm tone he has on Epic, especially Suprise You're Dead, and Zombie Eaters. I vaguely remember that he was using a JMP Marshall.

:confused:

he sucked? i thought he was greatly underrated. never played very complicated stuff, but the song Epic was very unusual with the funk bass...i thought it was great how he made the guitar work over that!

he used some kinda marshall, not sure which, but i remember him saying in an interview that the tubes were old and on the edge of frying (and having it cranked wasnt helping!) you can hear the tubes hurting in Falling to Pieces.

oh, he also used a Duncan Live Wire bridge pickup (and something else in the neck, i forgot what) to get that sound. but if you want to get close...LOTS of upper midrange!!! and i do mean a lot!

I have no idea what he used on Epic. I know he used a MkIV on Angel Dust. I understand a lot of people say he isn't the greatest player, but I thought he did a great job on the albums he played on. In fact, Epic and Angel Dust are my favorites, although I did like the subsequent releases as well.

All i know that he (Jim Martin) was in Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey :lol:

:|::QBB:
argonaut4":3511b said:
I have no idea what he used on Epic. I know he used a MkIV on Angel Dust. I understand a lot of people say he isn't the greatest player, but I thought he did a great job on the albums he played on. In fact, Epic and Angel Dust are my favorites, although I did like the subsequent releases as well.

I heard it was a Mark III

was it the IV?

hmmm.....

Juggernaut":ea689 said:

I heard it was a Mark III

was it the IV?

hmmm.....

He used a Mark III to record Angel Dust, but switched to the Mark IV for touring. He had such shitty tone on Angel Dust too (although i love the album), i much prefered his Marshall tone.

I loved all of 'em.....BIG FNM fan here.

definetely the most underrated band of all time.

Is the tone on epic similar too the deftones on adrenaline? I could be way havent listened to either album in awhile. I just kinda remember thinking that they where similar.

He used a Boogie MKIII on the album and tour, he used Gibson V with a crome pickguard, it had a SD Livewire in it. I saw the tour in Austin at the Backroom, up close and personal like.

soc_monki":a2e12 said:
he sucked? i thought he was greatly underrated. !

I kinda liked his playing. I just didn't want to get crucified for liking his tone or playing. ;)

I've always heard boosted Marshall for The Real Thing and Mark III for Angel Dust. I may be wrong though.

Tyler

scottcrud":12eec said:
He used a Boogie MKIII on the album and tour, he used Gibson V with a crome pickguard, it had a SD Livewire in it. I saw the tour in Austin at the Backroom, up close and personal like.

That's funny. I saw them on that tour, too. He had a MkIV on stage up here. :confused: I was playing a MkIII full time then and the looks of the MkIV really stood out to me.

bikescene":4c80f said:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=m0bCEFtvRQY

Although you can't see his heads in the video, you can see the mesa boogie cabs.

Probably, not much help, but i thought i'd share this youtube find.

That was a great performance. I just wish the bass would have been a little louder. As for the sound, it certainly sounded like a Mesa where as the album version sounds more like a Marshall to my ears.

I'm almost positive it was boogies. Which one though I'm not sure but the Mark series is a safe bet.

Big Jim Martin sucked? No way! FNM ruled..I always wondered what amp that was since the distortion just sounds so fucking dense and heavy...must be a MB :thumbsup:

How the hell can you say he sucked? Super Creative and Played for the song. That war pigs cover is dead on Iommi too.
I love it when guys say shit like this..
FNM were one of the Most influential bands of the 1990's for Rock Music
BTW, the album is called "THE REAL THING". Sounds like you havent listened to them much

Back