tired of tap dancing (Mark IV content)

• Thread starter Thread starter organometallica
  • Start date Start date
O
organometallica
I finished upgrading my rig so I would be able to control not only my amp but also rack fxs and pedals. Basically this is a review of two Axess switchers that I recently purchased (CFX4 and GRX4). All this fits into a 4-space rack.

I got the Axess CFX4 for switching channels on my Mesa Mark IV. Mainly because they offered a custom cable that plugs into the same location as the mesa footswitch then into one location on the CFX4. This just seemed easier than a separate cable for each channel. I can now switch to each of the three channels on the Mark IV as well as turn EQ on or off. Really easy to set up and program.

I also picked up an Axess GRX4 for my effects. There are 4 loops switchable via midi. Loops 1-3 are buffered and usually placed in the fx loop. I have a few pedals (phaser, and flanger) in two of the loops which is routed through the fx loop of the mark iv. I also am running an overdrive in loop 4 in front of the amp. Channel two on the Mark IV never really had the bite that I wanted… but now I can just program my overdrive pedal into the signal chain if I need a little more gain on channel 2. This is also really easy to program.

I am also using a TC Electronics G major for most of the time based fxs (delay reverb) as well as chorus. I’m not that fond of the phaser and flanger on the gmajor which is why I usually use pedals for those fxs. I am also running an ISP decimator to keep things quiet.

In the past I pretty much used only pedals and would have to click on at least 4-5 pedals when changing from clean chorus to lead delay. Was a little bit intimidated by all of the midi stuff, but its actually pretty easy to setup, especially the Axess boxes.

For a midi controller I am using a Behringer FCB1010

pics below

Attachments

• pic1small.jpg
    pic1small.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 782
  • pic2small.jpg
    pic2small.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 779
  • pic3small.jpg
    pic3small.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 778
  • pic4small.jpg
    pic4small.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 805
Very nice! I was planning to do the same setup when I had my mark iv, but then I ran out of money and had to pay tuition so ended up selling it all, looks awesome though!

Thanks, I was a little hesitant to get the axess switchers just because there is a long wait to get one, but in the end it was worth the wait.

yea, when I built my Mark IV rig, I ended up using the Rocktron octopus.

Did you have to buy that special cable for the mark iv? or did it come with the cfx-4

That's a bad ass rig ya got there. I would dig something like that for sure. :thumbsup:

Thank everlone

RH congrats on getting the mark IV... I have had quite a few amps in my life and the mark iv is by far my favorite.

Nice work!

Now Wet / Dry that rig with that UV for some huge fun :thumbsup:

yeah a wet/dry rig would be nice, I could always get an aby pedal and run my Einstein at the same time with no fxs.

Damn I feel sorry for my neighbors with two half stacks running at once blasting from my house.

I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, but I'm not quite sure myself. I currently don't have a footswitch for my Mark IV, so I'm still battling on whether or not to do this. The only reason I'm not going directly for this is that there's a substantial cost involved to the MIDI system whereas the foot controller is basically a standalone application. Since I'm living in Canada, it'd cost about $600+ for the MIDI system (foot controller + CFX4) compared to $300 for the footswitch by itself. Considering that I don't use anything else that is MIDI-controllable, I'm seriously doubting if I really need it.

One question I've wondered: through the Mark IV cable option, what functions can be controlled?

Get a MIDIMate for like $190 and a CFX for $165. For $50 more, you can get the custom cable for the Mark IV. You can turn, R2 on and off, Lead on and off, EQ on and off, and the Loop on and off. That should be just about all the function, really.

Code001 is right it shouldn't be that much more expensive for CFX4 and what ever footcontroller you want.

Even if you don't use midi controllable fx now, by going this route you always have that option and could control everything via a midi pedal.

Pretty cool stuff :)

For anyone interested in similar switching/routing stuff, the new RG16 audio/function switcher should be out soon and it has 8 audio loops and can control 8 functions in a one rackspace unit :)

:|::QBB:
4nkam":204ac said:
Pretty cool stuff :)

For anyone interested in similar switching/routing stuff, the new RG16 audio/function switcher should be out soon and it has 8 audio loops and can control 8 functions in a one rackspace unit :)

RG16? I know the RX-2 is coming out and that will support 12 audio loops, 8 channel inputs, and 4 preamp inputs/loaded head inputs.

The RG16 is from RJM Music, not Axess :) The specs on paper seem nice, the price is great, so we'll see how it sounds once they're out.

They're working on a few things including dealers so the price isn't firm but last I heard it was gonna be $550 street.

Back