More TV...

:|::QBB:
zewango":d7d11 said:

The better LCD's have quicker response times - 3ms and 4ms -the lower the time the better. Prevents what your talking about it.

Strange. I don't think I saw a single plasma or LCD in Costco that didn't suffer from this, even the Sony's.

Bob Savage":74ea0 said:
So what are the opinions of the TV freaks here?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2702276&sku=T24-4208

I really shouldn't spend any money, but I'm tempted.

I'd go Samsung if I were you. By far the best picture. Equal to the Sony (same technology) and much cheaper. I haven't seen anything equal the Samsungs in their price range... The pixilation probems I've seeen have been related to the cable and not the TV. My Samsung LCD does not pixilate due to fast motion...

Steve

sah5150":b5c75 said:

I'd go Samsung if I were you. By far the best picture. Equal to the Sony (same technology) and much cheaper. I haven't seen anything equal the Samsungs in their price range... The pixilation probems I've seeen have been related to the cable and not the TV. My Samsung LCD does not pixilate due to fast motion...

Steve

Interestingly enough, I went to Fry's today with MD and came away with nothing because after looking at loads of TV'S because I ended up wanting either a 40" or 46" Samsung and both were pretty expensive. They're about $250-$300 cheaper, shipped on the web. These are the two models:

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?item=salns4695d&l=ShopCartUSA&sale_ref_key=mTE4oJUymJE5mzc6mDOzmJO4nTiwmJG5

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=7037480

zewango":937db said:

The better LCD's have quicker response times - 3ms and 4ms -the lower the time the better. Prevents what your talking about it.

I just checked the spec on the 46" Samsung that I'm interested in, and it's an 8ms response time. I don't understand how this can be slow when the LCD is a higher line Samsung.

http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?item=salns4695d&l=ShopCartUSA&sale_ref_key=mTE4oJUymJE5mzc6mDOzmJO4nTiwmJG5

What am I missing here?

My TV also has 8MS response time and the ghosting of the pixels is non existent. With 8ms it should be fine. Sony, Samsung, Sharp seem to have the nicest LCD'S. Sony always cost more.

Bob Savage":2252f said:

I just checked the spec on the 46" Samsung that I'm interested in, and it's an 8ms response time. I don't understand how this can be slow when the LCD is a higher line Samsung.

What am I missing here?

2K for 46" 1080P Samsung is a nice deal.

zewango":a1d85 said:
My TV also has 8MS response time and the ghosting of the pixels is non existent. With 8ms it should be fine. Sony, Samsung, Sharp seem to have the nicest LCD'S. Sony always cost more.

Yep, I jumped back into my research this morning and found that the 46" 1080p Sharp is a good unit too and a little less than the Samsung.

Bob Savage":5a37f said:

Yep, I jumped back into my research this morning and found that the 46" 1080p Sharp is a good unit too and a little less than the Samsung.

46" Sharp 1080P is the TV I wanted but wasnt out yet in October when I was looking to buy :doh: .

Sharp and Sony produce the best LCDs around. I want that 108 inch TV Sharp made. Heh, play some SNES on that.

CoachZ":0e207 said:
Sharp and Sony produce the best LCDs around. I want that 108 inch TV Sharp made. Heh, play some SNES on that.

and Samsung. The Samsung is exactly the same technology as the Sony.

Steve

sah5150":2dac4 said:

and Samsung. The Samsung is exactly the same technology as the Sony.

Steve

I went to Circuit City and *thought* I had negotiated $100 over the price I found the 46" Samsung for on the web, but evidently the sales guy didn't know what "out the door" meant. I went through a 20 minutes song and dance only to find that out.

By the way, how many of you guys bought extended warranty's? I don't generally buy them but of course the sales guy (said he wasn't on commission) said it would be a very good idea and told me about his LCD that blew something that costs $650 after just a year. The unappealing part is I believe it was somewhere around $400-$500.

Thinking about other things I could do with the money, I'm tempted to get the Samsung 40" or the Sharp 42". Ugh!

Bob Savage":80ff1 said:

I went to Circuit City and *thought* I had negotiated $100 over the price I found the 46" Samsung for on the web, but evidently the sales guy didn't know what "out the door" meant. I went through a 20 minutes song and dance only to find that out.

By the way, how many of you guys bought extended warranty's? I don't generally buy them but of course the sales guy (said he wasn't on commission) said it would be a very good idea and told me about his LCD that blew something that costs $650 after just a year. The unappealing part is I believe it was somewhere around $400-$500.

Thinking about other things I could do with the money, I'm tempted to get the Samsung 40" or the Sharp 42". Ugh!

Scam. No way I'd buy that warranty......

Steve

I bought the warranty given the bulb is $250 and will likely burn out at least once during the warranty.

That said, I did kick myself in the ass a little since changing out the bulb is super-simple.

Call these guys: http://www.visualapex.com/

I got my Panasonic projector from them, and they not only have super competitive pricing, but some of the best, most pleasant customer service I've ever dealt with. Highly recommended.

Hey Bob, I bought the Samsung HL-S 5088W 50: DLP and the picture is INSANE!!!! I was watching some Concert DVD's over the weekend and was floored, the pic is so friggin sharp and the colors are wonderful!!! Sean Salmon getting KTFO was pretty damn beautiful as well!!!

regarding the extra warranty coverage, I usually agree with Steve but in this case, I got 5 years above and beyond the year that already comes with it for 250 and it was money well spent IMO. Peace of mind for 6 years at a tad more than 40 dollars a years is fine with me...

All that said, I had a Toshiba for a lot of years and it was a great TV...

i've went through one bulb so far and it was a helluva lot more than 250. now the light engine has to be replaced. thank god my warranty is till 2010. I wont buy another DLP.

JackBootedThug":ce113 said:
i've went through one bulb so far and it was a helluva lot more than 250. now the light engine has to be replaced. thank god my warranty is till 2010. I wont buy another DLP.
2010!!! Hioly Crap Steve!!! thats friggin insane!!! I never heard of a warranty that went for that long...

Kage

Back