More TV...

So I picked up the Sharp 42" 1080p LCD yesterday. It fits the room perfectly.

So now I'm thinking about moving to an HD service and possibly getting a used PS3 so I can play Blu-Ray discs and a game or two.

:|::QBB:
Bob Savage":6a32e said:

So now I'm thinking about moving to an HD service and possibly getting a used PS3 so I can play Blu-Ray discs and a game or two.

You RULE!

Steve

Bob Savage":90093 said:

Did you pick up a HDMI cable yet? You need it for the 1080 picture.
Our cable company has the HD- DVR box. DVR is very cool.
I decided to just get an upconvert DVD player for now. About $99 hooked with the HDMI cable it makes normal DVD's look better on the HD TV's

Upconverting DVD players are cool. The PS3's stupid for that reason. They want to use HDMI but all it actually is just DVI with an audio passthrough, makes things so much more inconvenient for people.

Congrats on the Sharp LCD, they make some of the best available.

JackBootedThug":cb77d said:
get a 360 and the xbox HD-DVD player. then join the GOW posse. :irresistible:

I'd like to get the xbox, but realistically I know I'm not going to be playing many games so I want something where I can have plenty of kid games available for when family comes over, and the PS3 seems to have more family/kid type stuff, no?

zewango":cb77d said:

Did you pick up a HDMI cable yet? You need it for the 1080 picture.
Our cable company has the HD- DVR box. DVR is very cool.
I decided to just get an upconvert DVD player for now. About $99 hooked with the HDMI cable it makes normal DVD's look better on the HD TV's

I didn't buy one because I don't have any equipment with an HDMI interface. I was pleasantly surprised at how good DVD's look over regular old audio/video cables though.

CoachZ":cb77d said:
Upconverting DVD players are cool. The PS3's stupid for that reason. They want to use HDMI but all it actually is just DVI with an audio passthrough, makes things so much more inconvenient for people.

Congrats on the Sharp LCD, they make some of the best available.

I'm not sure I understand, what's the problem with the PS3?

Bob Savage":029b6 said:

I didn't buy one because I don't have any equipment with an HDMI interface. I was pleasantly surprised at how good DVD's look over regular old audio/video cables though.
Use the RGB cable with the DVD player...and set the player to 'progressive scan'....that'll be about as good as it gets with regular dvd's.

The Big Snit":7827b said:
:|::QBB:Use the RGB cable with the DVD player...and set the player to 'progressive scan'....that'll be about as good as it gets with regular dvd's.

I do have component outputs on my DVD player, I'll see if it's got the progressive scan option. Thanks for the tip.

xboxlive arcade takes care of the kiddie stuff. a base or refurb 360 system and the xbox add on HDDVD player is cheaper than a PS3 or a HDDVD player or a blue ray player from what I've seen. Of course it's all included on the ps3 so I guess it depends on which you find more appealing.

Back