Doug Aldrich Vintage Modern Demo

That dude could probably make a Kmart amp sound good, so it's hard to really make an unbiased opinion about the clip. It's mostly neck pickup, which sounds a bit fat and loose, but overall pretty decent. Nice chops!

It's nothing like his tone on the Killing the Dragon (or whatever it's called) DVD, but Doug certainly kicks bootay.

:|::QBB:
carlygtr56":eb2b1 said:

Likely the mid boost and/or too much body.
On the Marshall VM vid demo, there is a part where the guy turns the midboost OFF and it sounds clear and killer

where is this video you keep talking about carl?

I was thinking Doug is endorsed by another brand - LOL.

I dig it a lot, still think this amp would be a lot cooler with EL34 and less "flubby".

carlygtr56":bed40 said:

Ralph, you know as well as I if Doug uses these amps, it won't be with this demo tone.
he'll be hitting it with a pedal.

I already said between the mid boost and the low-end preamp knob, these amp can get dialed muddy, such as this clip.

Oh Absolutely! If doug does use that amp he will definitley hit it with a pedal. I actually liked the VM when I heard it at NAMM. I think it does the clean to mid gained thng amazingly well. The new features are cool as well.

duesentrieb":3fd31 said:
I was thinking Doug is endorsed by another brand - LOL.

DA is quickly becoming the new Zakk Wylde endorsement-wise.

John Suhr is building him an amp while he is pimping the new Marshalls AND he was also talking to Engl. Changing with the wind it seems.

lordriffenstein":839e0 said:

DA is quickly becoming the new Zakk Wylde endorsement-wise.

John Suhr is building him an amp while he is pimping the new Marshalls AND he was also talking to Engl. Changing with the wind it seems.

Yes, he's very different than all the rest of us on here. We all stick with the same amps from birth to grave and never think about what it would be like to have a different amp. My understanding is that Suhr is building Doug an amp because Suhr WANTS to. Because Doug is not a fan of the OD100 and John wants to be able to build something that appeals to all different types of players.

Doug was supposedly very freaked out that he couldn't get his tones when he went to do that Holy Diver Live video with Dio and he didn't have his personal Cameron and CAE modded Marshalls. Doug had to use either Goldies DSL's or the OD-100 that Suhr provided for him. He wasn't digging either of them and so Doug started looking for a production amp that could do the job for him. The Engl was an amp that would work for Doug. Shortly after that he also heard the new Marshalls and really dug those too.

We should be ones to talk about switching brands of amps like most people change underwear. We PAY for this stuff too. Doug has people falling all over themselves to get him to use their stuff.

Let he who hasn't bought or sold an amp in the last two years cast the first stone. :P

Think about this:

You are talking with an amp company about an endorsement deal and in the meantime are showcasing other amps. How well does this come over??

There´s more to the story but I won´t go into it further.

I´m not saying he should stick to one amp, I bet he´s just a gear whore as the lot of us here but when there´s business involved, it becomes a whole other story!

Chubtone":9c8ad said:

Yes, he's very different than all the rest of us on here. We all stick with the same amps from birth to grave and never think about what it would be like to have a different amp. My understanding is that Suhr is building Doug an amp because Suhr WANTS to. Because Doug is not a fan of the OD100 and John wants to be able to build something that appeals to all different types of players.

Doug was supposedly very freaked out that he couldn't get his tones when he went to do that Holy Diver Live video with Dio and he didn't have his personal Cameron and CAE modded Marshalls. Doug had to use either Goldies DSL's or the OD-100 that Suhr provided for him. He wasn't digging either of them and so Doug started looking for a production amp that could do the job for him. The Engl was an amp that would work for Doug. Shortly after that he also heard the new Marshalls and really dug those too.

We should be ones to talk about switching brands of amps like most people change underwear. We PAY for this stuff too. Doug has people falling all over themselves to get him to use their stuff.

Let he who hasn't bought or sold an amp in the last two years cast the first stone. :P

5 years with the XTC Classic :cool:

...but gear-whoring is fun so no stones need be cast :lol:

FWIW, I thought the tone was alright, but the playing was much better than the tone. The Cameron clips of him awhile back were better IMO.

Back