Good tube preamp for $500 or less

ok, back read, it's got tubes. everything I've owned by peavey sounded like a train wreck with pedals. hows the rockmaster stack up?

Never used a rockmaster, but have heard good things. Had an Engl 530 - it was nice, but I got rid of it for something else.

:|::QBB:
theorder":5059e said:
ok, back read, it's got tubes. everything I've owned by peavey sounded like a train wreck with pedals. hows the rockmaster stack up?

i would definately choose another pre, for pedals. my old guitarist used one for a couple of years, and it did alright, with eq's. delays, and such in the loop. but distortions never worked in front of very well, very messy.

theorder":dbae9 said:
Whats with the Rockmaster? Is it tube? And does it take pedals well?

Yeah its got 4 tube's
it has Clean / Crunch and Ultra Channels
i havent needed a pedal for it yet but over the weekend ill stick a couple on it and see what She's got to give :)

tjon":f6874 said:
Ive heard the rockmasters are very 5150ish is this true?

No. If I remember correctly it is the same pre as the Ultra 120. It sounds somewhat like the 5150.. More so the 5150 II, I believe, but with a better clean.

I'd do a side by side, but unfortunately I don't have a 6L6 power amp.

the Rockmaster sounds nothing like my 5150...it has similar mids (the ever discussed Peavey Mids) and if you dont like that sound then you probably wouldnt get along with it. but it is clearer and less saturated than a 5150, less fizzy on the top end, and is tighter on the low end. definitely an awesome preamp, capable of very high gain, but unlike the 5150 nearly all of the gain is useable. and its got a cool preamp push-pul knob that shifts the mids from high mids to low mids.

and it has an actual clean channel that, while not all too Fendery, is pretty good (and worlds better than the 5150 for cleans).

i dont know about pedals, right now i dont have my footswitch so i can only play on the Ultra channel...with the Rockmaster i need no distortion pedals though. the Crunch and Ultra channels cover all the gain i need!

and yea, i am using a Peavey Classic 120 poweramp (6L6's). awesome budget rack setup!

soc_monki":fb001 said:
the Rockmaster sounds nothing like my 5150...it has similar mids (the ever discussed Peavey Mids) and if you dont like that sound then you probably wouldnt get along with it. but it is clearer and less saturated than a 5150, less fizzy on the top end, and is tighter on the low end. definitely an awesome preamp, capable of very high gain, but unlike the 5150 nearly all of the gain is useable. and its got a cool preamp push-pul knob that shifts the mids from high mids to low mids.

and it has an actual clean channel that, while not all too Fendery, is pretty good (and worlds better than the 5150 for cleans).

i dont know about pedals, right now i dont have my footswitch so i can only play on the Ultra channel...with the Rockmaster i need no distortion pedals though. the Crunch and Ultra channels cover all the gain i need!

and yea, i am using a Peavey Classic 120 poweramp (6L6's). awesome budget rack setup!

you also need a 2101 for effects only with that Rockmaster :m17:
and use that Parametric EQ in the Master Mix down :thumbsup:

gaijun":43bde said:

you also need a 2101 for effects only with that Rockmaster :m17:
and use that Parametric EQ in the Master Mix down :thumbsup:

i actually had access to a 2101 before the local store i shopped at shut down (its where i got my PSA-1 and Mosvalve as well). i never really was impressed with the 2101, and it had a problem (i dont remember what though...seemed like a software bug to me).

maybe dude still has it and i can get it from him cheap like i did the PSA? i might have to call him LOL

soc_monki":df583 said:

i actually had access to a 2101 before the local store i shopped at shut down (its where i got my PSA-1 and Mosvalve as well). i never really was impressed with the 2101, and it had a problem (i dont remember what though...seemed like a software bug to me).

maybe dude still has it and i can get it from him cheap like i did the PSA? i might have to call him LOL

i know you will love it
try reading up on the manule or http://members.fortunecity.co.uk/gsp2101center/2101Library/gfaq-t.html
then see if he will open it up to your eyes look around check for those upgraded parts ;) then again i know some have some Major problems and have to be Hard reset and start over to be corrected

I didn't really want the effects built in but for 250 I couldn't pass it up.
Thanks for all the advice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160095202254

theorder":4f703 said:
I didn't really want the effects built in but for 250 I couldn't pass it up.
Thanks for all the advice.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160095202254

If you don't dig it, please let me know. I've been looking for one again.

Qweklain":92202 said:
Engl E530....

The only preamp that I would buy again. If you are gonna use a preamp, you owe it to yourself to atleast read up on them. I sold mine because I was getting away from my rack, and back into a more basic stage set-up, but if I ever need another rack mounted preamp, I will definitely buy another one.

:thumbsup:

Back