NEW AMP DAY! Part 1 of 2.

The next hour and a half is going to go slow as all hell cause I just got the "Delivered" notice when I tracked the amp. :hurray:

I bought a 92 2 Channel, Black Faceplate/Chrome chassis dual rec from Marshall Freak and he has been an AWESOME seller to work with.

I'm stoked to get to crank up a rectifier again, it's been a good while since I've got to fiddle with one, and I've missed being able to play with one. What better way to get a recto tone again than getting an early dual rec? Not much, IMO!

Then tomorrow, my FJA modded 5150II from Oblivion DC shall arrive...that shall be new amp day part II. Keep your eyes peeled! :gethim:

Full review and pictures to come later today! :yes:

-Ans-

I didn't even know Charlie owned a boogie? Blasphemy!

From the pics he sent me, he seems to own several, mostly Marks though. :cool:

Excellent. Can't beat the full on roar of a recto and the blackfaces are sexy as fuck!

Most definately. I've owned a TON of rectos, but this is the earliest revision I've ever had.

Most of the rectos I've owned have been the 3 channel ones, so I'm pumped to get this one cooking. I've gone through a BUNCH of amps the past few years, and now that I've had my fill, I think I've come full circle, and I'm returning to the amps which I cut my teeth on, recto, and 5150. It's funny how that works sometimes, you can own 4K amps, and then you find the satisfaction in a thousand dollar or less amp...it's a good feeling though, I must say.

I've never owned a modded out 5150(II) though, I've owned a script logo 5150 for about 3 years now, and it's been the only amp that has stayed around in my arsenal the entire time while TONS of other high end amps have rotated, in and out. I used to play rectos exclusively, until my house my robbed, and my original 3 channel triple rec and 3 channel dual got stolen, and I never found another rectifier that sounded as good. Ever since then, I started out on a chase for my "grail-tone" amp, and have filed in and out of soo many high dollar amps, it's ridiculous. Back to a bad ass recto, and a bad ass modded out 5150II, so we shall see. I can say that out of ALL the amps I've owned, the 5150 I have has been able to stand up against all of them, and the list includes, a Framus Dragon and Cobra, Bogner Uberschall Rev Blue, ENGL Powerball (I hated that one), Mesa 50 Calibre, Mesa 3 channel triple rec (1 with 6L6s, and one with EL34s), Krank Krankenstein, Diezel VH4 and Herbert, VHT D120, and most recently an ENGL Savage 120 (which is awesome sounding btw) and the ENGL SE I just sold. Full circle, and now I'm back to the basic tones and amps, and I can't think of anything better than an early, 2 channel dual rec, and a modded out 5150II. I am truely stoked to run these one at a time, and run both in stereo.

Although.....after talking to Megadeth (Mark), I may add a Blackmore to the collection. :yes:

-Ans-

Congrats. When I bought my first half stack way back when, I went to buy a Peavey 5150. I ended up walking out with a 2 channel dual rectifier. I had that thing for about 9 years before I discovered the various guitar forums that abound. I've owned 4 5150s/6505 since then. Both are great amps.

First impressions of the Dual Recto I got from Charlie.

Searing.

It's the best recto I've owned soo far. It went straight from the box, to getting tested, to getting recorded. :lol: We are laying down the lead tracks on our demo as I type, and it sounds great on the recording as of right now. More later. :)

-Ans-

I had a 98-99 2 Channel DR, and an '01 or '02 3ch DR, and liked them both, but that one blew them both away as far as I'm concerned. More agressive, but smoother and less harsh. Glad you're digging it. I'm sure you've tried it, but stick a tubescreamer or something like that in front of it, and it's even more of a monster.

Didn't really get to play it a BUNCH last night, we laid down leads really quickly and then we had to record bass and vocals. I'll be actually practicing with the band tonight, so that will be the true test, but the lasting impression that I keep thinking back to is, "Hard".

That amp sounds like the speakers are shooting bricks at your face.

It's definately the best recto I've owned, it's not as harsh, buzzy/fuzzy and lots tighter than the previous rectos I've had. I'm excited to try it out with a boost in front, I just have to get a hold of a good one. I'm thinking about a Maxon OD9 (since I can't seem to find anywhere that has the OD9 Pro+) or a Keeley Katana and a Keeley Compressor to juice up the front of the amp. I just want to saturate it a tad more without having to use th amp's gain, and tighten up the bottom end, just a tad, and I think the OD in front will do just that.

As I said, I'll get to play it in the band tonight and compare it to the FJA 5150II that should be here today, but it's likely I keep both amps and just switch back and forth as my moods serve. I have a connection with rectos as it was the first "real" amp I ever bought, (a Dual Rec trem-o-verb, to be exact), so the feel, the charactor and that face slamming recto sound is like a 2nd home. It's a nice feeling to go through $10,000.00 bucks worth of boutique amps, get a more reasonably priced "classic", then dial in a crushing sound within, literally 30 seconds of turning an amp on. :)

-Ans-

I love old school Recto's! Congrats Ans, im sure you'll have a great time with it. I can't wait to hear some of your bands new tracks either!

Sweeeeeeeeeeet :)

Ans, you should checkout some of these pedals too:

*OCD
*BB preamp
*Timmy

The Katana and BB are VERY cool with the rectos.

I used to own the OCD, i slammed teh front of my D120 with it, but I sold it. What is teh BB preamp? Never heard of it.

I'm probably gonna go with the Katana/Compressor package deal Keeley has going though. :)

-Ans-

Xotic BB Preamp: http://www.prosoundcommunications.com/english/xotic/effects/bb_preamp/index.html
bb_new_LRG.jpg

Trademark tone without the hassle. The BB Preamp offers awide variety of sounds. It's capable of a 30dB+ clean boost with an adjustable ±15dB two band active EQ which adds a wide range of harmonic content to your ideal sound. The BB also utilizes a pre-gain stage which allows the Pedal to go from a very pristine clean to a very smooth,compressed, overdriven sound. True bypass for eliminating any signal interference when switched off. All hand wired and hand crafted in the U.S.A. Can be used with AC adaptor (optional) or 9V Battery.

Back