Tell me about the Mesa Studio Preamp

Juggernaut

Just curious, if it would get me anywhere near the Mark III/IV tone with the Mesa 295 I have. I'm thinking about running it in stereo with the Langner. Or should I just say screw it and save for the Mark?

Going into a simulclass poweramp, it should sound preeeeeeeeeeeeeetty close. The studio is has a very nice round, thick, smooth gain going on and tons of gain. I rarely run mine past 4 or so :D

Cool, I had one YEARS ago, with a Marshall 50/50 poweramp, and I remember it sounding great, but couldnt remember how good.

:) yes but I'm trying to SAVE money here. If the Studio will do the job I want then I can move on to other gear NEEDS.

:doh:

Teeth????

I dont need the bells and whistles exactly. Just need that Boogie Crunch to match up with my Langner. I think the 2 together would sound amazing.

The Clean on my Langner is AWESOME so I'm not worried about that either. Just want the Aggression that the III/IV have.

:|::QBB:
CaseyCor":72a1c said:
Crank the mids, and you've got instant Live Nirvana (Nevermind- In Utero Tour) tone.

Dont want that tone...... :D

But I think I'm gonna try to pick one up in the next month and run it in an A/B/C set-up.

I had the .22+ Studio combo, not sure how close that is to the preamp, but with a boost and proper EQ it got pretty close to the mark crunch. Definetly nice cleans on the studio too.

But for leads nothing beats the MIV!

There was one listed on eBay as a Mesa Boogie Studio Pre .22 Cal... FWIW.

So is it a .22 cal in pre form or a mark series? I'm curious as well.

I think the early documentation actually did say studio caliber preamp but going from the schematic, it's pretty much a mark IIC.

I've owned two sp's and two mkiii's. I used my sp's with a 2:90 as well as a solid state pwr amp. The SP can pretty much sound just like a MKIII in my opinion. Or with a solid state pwr amp, you can get close to Tommy Victors tone on Cleansing, that is if you wanted to. Great preamps.

My good friend has a Mesa Studio/5050 setup and it sounds great. Loud as fuck. The cleans are nice. I think what he meant by teeth is that it doesn't get that high end fizz to its gain stage. It works well for Rush, Steelheart, Journey, but not thrash stuff. Good Rock Preamp. If you want a bit more teeth to it....throw on a Treble Boost, or Maxon. That works.

Overall, a underated preamp which is in demand. My buddy just got offered $500 for his, and he passed.

Back