ATTN ADA MP-1 users/fans

Joshtruction

After hearing some good things about them here, and hearing one damn good clip the other day I started doing some research this afternoon. These things seem pretty popular to mod thats for sure. In my constant quest to find things to tinker with (and this is definitly a tinker toy) I am trying to gain some more info on these. So here are a few questions for you guys:

Who has some clips they want to post for me?!?!

Who here has a modded one, and what do you think?

How much should I expect to pay for one?

Haw many patches (presets?) do these things have? Like how many sound can I dial just by hitting different midi switches on a midi controller?

How would one go about running two of these... One modded for modern high gain, and the other for super nice cleans?

Whats better, the MP-1, or the MP-2?

Thanks guys!

www.adadepot.com has some great information.

I have an ADA MP-1 modded by trace at voodoo amps. I'm not normally a rack kindof guy, but I've been very impressed and like it so much I keep it for my studio hack stuff.

later

sub

- Who has some clips they want to post for me?!?!
I have a video i had made here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0KT8qkJFF8

and a tune that I re-did rough guitars just for fun. the guys are double layered. song is called Home Sick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=187557

I have a 3TM modded unit that I've been using for the last couple of years and I've purchased and tried other preamps and always went back to my 3TM MP-1. To me, it sounds tighter, clearer and more aggressive than alot of preamps ot there.

If your taking stock MP-1. I've seen them sell on ebay for as low as $80 or so and as higher. Modded ones cost more ofcourse.

Haw many patches (presets?) do these things have? Like how many sound can I dial just by hitting different midi switches on a midi controller?
the unit has 128 patches in total. As long as your midi controller has 120 banks and 9 presets in each bank, then you should be fine. something like the Rolls Midi Buddy will do just fine.

How would one go about running two of these... One modded for modern high gain, and the other for super nice cleans?
You would need some sort of a router/switcher like the GRX-4 to be able to select between the 2 preamps.

the MP-2 has more features/options but a Modded MP-1 to me is better tone wise.

To be honest.. if you have the cash, check into the 3TM MP-1. If not, then the Mod4 Mark II will do a good job.

cheers

Duke,

Do you know where I can get a 3tm modded ada or get one done? It doesn't appear that Hairstons doing them anymore.

SeaDog

:|::QBB:
jonny toetags":ded16 said:
If you find 2, I want one Josh!

If I find 2 you will have a chance at two of them since I can't afford anything haha.

awesome reply's so far guys. I thaught about 3tm when I started reading about them, but I realize it sounds more like I am after the 3.666 mod myself. See, to put it lightly I really have a hard on for racktifiers but I can't afford one right now. Do you think I can get a tone that would satisfy me out of the 3.666 mod running through a 6505's power amp?

Duke of Metal":3daf4 said:
- Who has some clips they want to post for me?!?!
I have a video i had made here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0KT8qkJFF8

and a tune that I re-did rough guitars just for fun. the guys are double layered. song is called Home Sick:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=187557

I have a 3TM modded unit that I've been using for the last couple of years and I've purchased and tried other preamps and always went back to my 3TM MP-1. To me, it sounds tighter, clearer and more aggressive than alot of preamps ot there.

If your taking stock MP-1. I've seen them sell on ebay for as low as $80 or so and as higher. Modded ones cost more ofcourse.

the unit has 128 patches in total. As long as your midi controller has 120 banks and 9 presets in each bank, then you should be fine. something like the Rolls Midi Buddy will do just fine.

You would need some sort of a router/switcher like the GRX-4 to be able to select between the 2 preamps.

the MP-2 has more features/options but a Modded MP-1 to me is better tone wise.

To be honest.. if you have the cash, check into the 3TM MP-1. If not, then the Mod4 Mark II will do a good job.

cheers

Thanks for the detailed reply and tips! I am definitly looking for a stocker since i am fully capable of modding one myself once it comes time. 128 patches... so I can really dial up 128 different sounds? How many different channels are there within these patches? If ther eis more than one can I blend them? I have seen people talking about od1 and od2 quite a bit, so I am going to make the assumptions them are at least 2 different channels? Thanks again, and it sure sounds like you got some killer tone.

Hey Duke.....That vid sounded great. Very 80s. After hearing it, I could totally tell that Vito Bravo used one back in the day. I see the resemblence in tone.

CaseyCor":92481 said:
How high-gain are the 3TM modded MP-1's?
Pretty highgain.. and its pretty clear highgain too.

At shows, all the sound guys I've delt with were real happy with me guitar tone and I've never had a problem cutting through.

Not sure if you checked the videos.. but thats kind of how highgain the 3TM can go.. + more :D

Cheers

SeaDog":63d91 said:
Duke,

Do you know where I can get a 3tm modded ada or get one done? It doesn't appear that Hairstons doing them anymore.

SeaDog
Hey man.. talk to a guy name MarshallJMP. he's the tech guy at www.adadept.com's forum. he's the only one you can get your MP-1 modded for 3TM or buy kits from.

Check it out here:
http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/

Cheers

Joshtruction":4c18c said:

If I find 2 you will have a chance at two of them since I can't afford anything haha.

awesome reply's so far guys. I thaught about 3tm when I started reading about them, but I realize it sounds more like I am after the 3.666 mod myself. See, to put it lightly I really have a hard on for racktifiers but I can't afford one right now. Do you think I can get a tone that would satisfy me out of the 3.666 mod running through a 6505's power amp?
The 3.666 does a pretty close recto tone. its pretty much a recto preamp section modded in an MP-1. I remember using that with 6L6s and it was kinda pretty Mesa-ish type tone.

I'd say give it a try through the 6505 and see what kind of results you get.

cheers

Joshtruction":f146b said:

Thanks for the detailed reply and tips! I am definitly looking for a stocker since i am fully capable of modding one myself once it comes time. 128 patches... so I can really dial up 128 different sounds? How many different channels are there within these patches? If ther eis more than one can I blend them? I have seen people talking about od1 and od2 quite a bit, so I am going to make the assumptions them are at least 2 different channels? Thanks again, and it sure sounds like you got some killer tone.
Yep.. you can pretty much set 128 different sounds. Not that you'll ever need that many. Each Patch has 3 Vocings. SolidState Clean, Tube Clean, Tube Distortion. with mods like the 3TM, 3.666 and Mod4 Mark II, the tube clean turns more into an brown sound type overdrive. specially on the clean tube. thing is, you cant switch between the voicings with in a patch through a midi controller. You'd have to set up lets say 3 different patches. 1 that uses Solidstate clean, 1 uses Tube Clean and 1 uses Tube distortion.

Back