Picked up a '73 LP Custom to go with my '71...

Damn those LP's look great and scream MOJO!!!

This thread is not helping my LP GAS though....

:D

to me, there is nothing honorable about keeping a great old gtr in *showroom* condition.

granted, getting the first nice gouge or scratch in a brand new axe is lame, and i'm not suggesting letting your 12 year old nephew borrow your 59 flametop for a talent show,

but for the love of rock and roll we're talking ELECTRIC GUITARS!!!!
Hit'em HARD BOYS!!! let mother nature and father time handle the "relic'ing".

and, if i were looking for a les paul, i would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS buy a new gibson, unless the neal schon model was $1200 and i got to play it first and liked the neck.

pre 80's les pauls all the way! long live the belt buckle scratches!!!!!

:|::QBB:
mentoneman":b784a said:
to me, there is nothing honorable about keeping a great old gtr in *showroom* condition.

granted, getting the first nice gouge or scratch in a brand new axe is lame, and i'm not suggesting letting your 12 year old nephew borrow your 59 flametop for a talent show,

but for the love of rock and roll we're talking ELECTRIC GUITARS!!!!
Hit'em HARD BOYS!!! let mother nature and father time handle the "relic'ing".

and, if i were looking for a les paul, i would NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS buy a new gibson, unless the neal schon model was $1200 and i got to play it first and liked the neck.

pre 80's les pauls all the way! long live the belt buckle scratches!!!!!

I love you man :cry:

I get my balls busted for making fun of guys that have had a guitar for over a year and the think looks brand new.......imo you just are not playing that fiddle.

I do take great care of my necks....but no way do I stripe the mojo off of the back of unfinished necks!

That said Pat I bet your T5 has no belt rash :D

Digital Jams":846e3 said:

I love you man :cry:

I get my balls busted for making fun of guys that have had a guitar for over a year and the think looks brand new.......imo you just are not playing that fiddle.

I do take great care of my necks....but no way do I stripe the mojo off of the back of unfinished necks!

That said Pat I bet your T5 has no belt rash :D

you got it bro bro!

i've met those eccentric collector hermit types with pockets full of gold, museum grade collections in their bedrom closets, and the playing finesse of a galapagos turtle,

that might let you see their lower end $pieces$ with price tags still on, tantamount to the performance of any instrument, and why they may even allow you to gently carress their treasure if you're lucky......

......it's not a premature baby for cryin out loud!!!!! in fact the most valuable strat i've ever played was probably the WORST sounding/playing gtr as well!

THEN, what's worse is when they have the audacity to *think* that just because they own valuable gtrs/amps, etc, they are automatically "grandfathered" in to the veteran gear authority/advice club.

the best is then asking them to play something for you on said gear...

and the pinnacle of their shining moment in the spotlight is akin to a kindergardener cranking out "pop goes the weasel" on a jack in the box.

such moments are as morbidly fascinating as studying the late jack palance's mouth as he issued the word "gargantuan".

10m.jpg

(---but ps i got no stinkin T5....i wish....the one i was holding in a shot a while back was doyle dykes' personal axe he let me play. killer gtr :D)

While I do agree that guitars are meant to be played and not babied, I do tend to baby my gear (to some degree). I'll pull my shirt over my belt buckle (not that I have big belt buckles anyway). Hell, all of my guitars have seen the stage. My amps have a couple stage dings, cab has a little rash... That's life.

Beautiful guitars, I love the black one. The only thing I dont like aout the sunburst one is it has too much red. That said I still wouldnt mind having that around my place.

So what one plays and sounds better?

SgtThump":f2549 said:

Thanks! The black one plays and sounds the best right now, but I think that's because it has a very recent refret with Dunlop 6105s and a Rio Grande BBQ pickup in the bridge.

The Cherry Sunburst LP has the small "fretless wonder" frets and a Duncan '59 in the bridge. It still plays and sounds nice, but the black one is better with the frets and pickup.

There's a really good chance that the CSB LP will get refretted in the near future and probably a BBQ in it as well.

The neck on the CSB seems to be a little slimmer, but I'm not positive. Both feel like they're under 10lbs.

What would you compare the BBQ to in terms of output/how hot it is? I've heard a lot about these but I'm not sure if I really want to bite the bullet and order one. My favorite pickup is the SD SH-5 Duncan Custom so if you've played with one of those, a comparison would be appreciated :thumbsup:

SgtThump":1fd25 said:

I hear people say they're like a JB without the upper mid harshness and a fatter low end. I guess I can see that. I've only had it for a few days in the black LP, so I'm no expert or anything. I did just buy another used one for the CSB LP and hope to have that by the end of this week.

I used a Duncan Custom in the bridge of my goldtop and really liked it! I think the BBQ may be a little fatter, though. Comparisons like this are hard for me unless I have both guitars side-by-side. My ears tend to forget.

I'd say it's about like a JB or Custom in output with a fatter tone. It's not muffled or super dark, though.

Cool! Thats what I was hoping to hear. I have JB's or Customs in all of my guitars but I wanted to try something new in my frankenstrat I've been rebuilding so this sounds like it is right up my alley. :thumbsup:

i like the fact you are willing to tear those puppies apart and do what you wish with them!

what would be really cool is if you bought a bunch of different pickups to try in one of the pauls and did comparison clips with them and kept the one you liked the most.

tom holmes, arcane, suhr, tyler, wcr, rio grande, lollar, antiquities,

that would be a fun one!

I'm just gonna put this out there to you, Sir Thumper, if you ever decide to sell the black one, let me know first. I've wanted one like that for a good long while, especially since it has the refret and the binding nibs are no more (I hate those things), it makes it a perfect canidate for what I want to do with it. :thumbsup:

-Ans-

Back