Schon laying the wood to Slash..........

:|::QBB:
argonaut4":d25cf said:
IMO, Setzer owns them all. He's the most talented one of that group. The guy is a true musical genius.

Absolutely. I had 2nd row seats for one of his BSO shows a few years back and he RIPPED. The guy is definitely in a league of his own...

That whole thing was f-ing awful lol. But yeah, on that kind of jam, I'd go with Setzer every time. He's got more bluesy/swingin chops than Schon has sleeveless shirts. Although Rabin gets bonus points for his tapping seizure.

I got to be honest..... I love Schon as much as the next guy but I could not distinguish one note from another. I have no idea WTF he played.
Here lies a great example of the many opinions you will get from watching a clip. It will solidify the fact that we will all like different players for different reasons!

Digital Jams":7abfb said:

I know you Danny and if you were in some jam I know you are going to bring some heat during your section. Pocket my ass :lol:

Sorry bro but I don't see you doing a BB King 30 sec wide vibrato for your spot :o

Depends on the situation really. I do think that Slash is one of the most overrated players on the planet. The avergae person does think that Slash is a guitar God which makes me fucking laugh.

Also, i have Brian Setzers instructional video and i had no idea how good he really is. Of oucrse he's not a metal player but he still has blazing chops but in his own style.

shreder75":a1fd4 said:
setzer owns every one of those clowns =)
LMAO, Perception is funny stuff.... Im not going to knock Setzer because hes a great player but what he does just doesnt really fit in that context IMO...

Personally, I think Slash maybe one of the most grossly overrated players in Rock guitar history though I give him the nod for his songwriting..

Im obviously Biased as hell but to me, Neal pretty much owns whatever stage that he shows up on...

BTW, Mechanical vibrato?!?!? WTF :confused:

danyeo":8345d said:

Depends on the situation really. I do think that Slash is one of the most overrated players on the planet. The avergae person does think that Slash is a guitar God which makes me fucking laugh.

Also, i have Brian Setzers instructional video and i had no idea how good he really is. Of oucrse he's not a metal player but he still has blazing chops but in his own style.

Brian setzer used to come in to a shop in Long Island all the time when I was a kid and he used to Jam.It would not be uncommon to walk into the shop and see him and Al pitrelli trading guitar licks in a corner. That said, Setzer can play his ass off. He is no metalhead but he has the rockabilly licks down cold!

STEEL KAGE":97c9a said:
:|::QBB: LMAO, Perception is funny stuff.... Im not going to knock Setzer because hes a great player but what he does just doesnt really fit in that context IMO...

Personally, I think Slash maybe one of the most grossly overrated players in Rock guitar history though I give him the nod for his songwriting..

Im obviously Biased as hell but to me, Neal pretty much owns whatever stage that he shows up on...

BTW, Mechanical vibrato?!?!? WTF :confused:

:D

I like neil for the most part..especially in older journey...but we don't really see eye to eye on him....it's not good or bad, it just is what it is....I find him on the vanilla side...

I like setzer alot....not only because he's different but because he's so fucking interesting and musical and has great tone..without tons of distortion..playin' those monstrous hollow bodies, doin' that whole swing thing, etc, etc.....he's an amazing player in my book

FWIW, I don't get the mechanical vibrato thing either...lol....I always though schon had pretty good vibrato =)

I'm not the biggest slash fan either....I think he's abysmal live...

Yeah Setzer is a bad ass in his enviroment hence me not saying anything about his spot, to be honest in this context his spot was the most fitting.

WTF is up with 80s and Pirates?!?!?!? :lol:

Digital Jams":924e6 said:

Carl, you need to upload that one vid with just Schon playing that other Muddy tune!

If you're thinking of the vid that im thinking of Scott, then that has som serious badass playing!!! I was gutted when Carl took it down, i shoulda saved it lol!

Neal just goes apeshit, its awesome!!

Digital Jams":1a79e said:
Yeah Setzer is a bad ass in his enviroment hence me not saying anything about his spot, to be honest in this context his spot was the most fitting.

WTF is up with 80s and Pirates?!?!?!? :lol:

stonedpirates.jpg
[/img]

carlygtr56":3a506 said:
Yup, those Elvis solos really fit into Rock Me Baby LOL

Hang on now. Is this not BB King's Rock Me Baby circa like 1962??? How does the puffy shirt, wanking, lee jackson abortion tone of Rabin and Schon fit the tune better than what Setzer does??? Granted, it might not fit in the context of this show, but good lord they ruined the song. Can't blame Setzer for doing his thing.

I bet I could guess who BB would like best...

ratter":ebf81 said:

Hang on now. Is this not BB King's Rock Me Baby circa like 1962??? How does the puffy shirt, wanking, lee jackson abortion tone of Rabin and Schon fit the tune better than what Setzer does??? Granted, it might not fit in the context of this show, but good lord they ruined the song. Can't blame Setzer for doing his thing.

I bet I could guess who BB would like best...

Couldn't have said it any better. I still love Schons playing but it just sounds like everyone was just winging it off the top of their heads, in some cases fewer notes sometimes sound better.

shreder75":8088f said:

:D

I like neil for the most part..especially in older journey...but we don't really see eye to eye on him....it's not good or bad, it just is what it is....I find him on the vanilla side...

I like setzer alot....not only because he's different but because he's so fucking interesting and musical and has great tone..without tons of distortion..playin' those monstrous hollow bodies, doin' that whole swing thing, etc, etc.....he's an amazing player in my book

FWIW, I don't get the mechanical vibrato thing either...lol....I always though schon had pretty good vibrato =)

I'm not the biggest slash fan either....I think he's abysmal live...

Then Perhaps you dont listen to enough Schon because he just keeps getting beeter and better. Check out any of his recent solo work and tell me that the guy isnt a phrasing genius. The guy has it all, Phrasin, chops timing and can hang in any situation. Again, Im obviously biased because hes my favorite player of all time but Im also open minded and subjective enough to give credit where its due, regardless of who's playing..

Like I said, I think Setzer is an awesome player, underrated even but in the context of this song,the way that it was done, he just seems out of his element to me.. Now if it was done in a cleaner more traditional style, Setzer would have appealed to me a bit more but make no mistake, Neal would easily have risen to the challenge. The man has all kinds of depth and can hang with a myriad of blues stylings...

Back