JVM knobs

:|::QBB:
Odin":ac908 said:

Correct, the DSL/TSL had cheap and flimsy PCB mounted pots but the daughterboard with the pots was somewhat stabilized by the screws. The new JVM took things to a new level of cheapness for an expensive amp. The answer is going to be obvious - Marshall crammed a lot of technology into an expensive amp and they had to control costs.

Since 99% of the people who buy guitar amps will never leave their bedroom with them it makes sense to cut the costs and deal with the warranty issues. The pro level musicians that do tour with this mass produced gear can afford to have multiple backups on hand so the reliability issue isn't a deal breaker for them as long as it's not constantly breaking.

Smaller manufacturers can't deal with the repairs and don't have an acceptable failure rate so they build things to much higher quality standards, but their time and materials causes the cost to rise. It's a trade-off.

Time will tell how the JVM holds up to heavy gig use. I'll be looking for a cheap used one when the honeymoon era is over, I really like the concept and the clips I've heard so far.

First off, the JVM is pretty Cheap for what you are get considering todays costs of amps. Show me another TRUE 4 channel amp with midi ,verb and independant controls and a whole lot more that sound great for $1750. Second, you assume that most players will not be gigging with these amps. You cannot assume that at all. Third, I have a friend who is in a MAJOR touring band that uses tsl's and dsl's and had not had one problem and he is not endorsed by Marshall should one go down. I agree that the DSL/TSL's had some issues but the JVM is better made then the DSL/TSL

kannibul":a7f43 said:

TSL/DSL have pots that are mounted to a PCB, but have a supporting nut that bolts the pot to the chassis.

These don't - these are basically PCB pots, that have a plastic shaft that goes thought a hole in the chassis - there's no "chassis" to the pot itself, which is what the nut would go on.
thanks for confirming Kannibul! I really do miss the supporting nut. (anything supporting my nut's are a verrrry good thing. :rock:)
mike.

raiken":40a18 said:

No, that's not true. RoHS compliance involves the entire product, and has nothing to do with construction techniques, only the materials used in the components.

Randall Aiken

Thank you for the info - I didn't know :)

SgtThump":71ca3 said:
I just took a knob off my JVM to see. It's true there's no supporting nut there, but that's not what you're feeling move around when you wiggle the knobs. You're feeling the plastic shaft FOR SURE. I wiggled it around and the part inside the chassis didn't move at all. It's the plastic shaft.

Chris, Carl, Kannibul, or anyone else with a JVM, I only have Marshalls made prior to 1981 (71 Super Trem, 78 2203, 81 800 2203, 72 Super Lead). The JVM is my FIRST modern Marshall (except for the JMP1). These plastic knob shafts have me worried. Tell me please, that as long as you don't "titty" twist 'em, you'll be fine!!! :doh: :doh: ;)

I have no issue with the knobs, $1600 for a 4 channel amp you have to know that somke things were going to be cut.

I would have a roadcase if gigging.

The only thing that would worry me is a direct frontal strike on the knob - with enough force, this could hit the PCB pretty hard...

That said, I think the PCB's are mounted on press-fit style supports, so if it was hard enough to knock them off, it might be a simple fix.

SgtThump":133f4 said:
I think it's cool to "KNOW" that you have an amp that's built by hand by an amp "master" with only the highest quality parts, but let's get real here...

Your average weekend gigging isn't THAT hard on anything. Any amp in the world can hold up well with this type of use with or without a road case. If you're touring the world and have a road crew that throws equipment around, I'd be sure to have a road case. But even then, I can't imagine an amp like this JVM not holding up.

Think about it... All you do is TURN THE FREAKING KNOBS a few times in a night. How in the hell is that going to break anything? If you're transporting it, just be sure not to drop it. That's not asking too much, is it?

People are too caught up in the build quality stuff, I think. Like I said in the first sentence, it is cool to "KNOW" your stuff is all handbuilt with the best stuff, so I get that. But don't think that it's required for anything.

I've wondered this for years on guitar forums. What are people doing to their amps to worry about stuff like this?? I cover mine, carry it out to my car, drive to a gig, take it from my car, bring it into the club, place it on my cabinet and then I'm ready to play.

SgtThump":c0a50 said:
I think it's cool to "KNOW" that you have an amp that's built by hand by an amp "master" with only the highest quality parts, but let's get real here...

Your average weekend gigging isn't THAT hard on anything. Any amp in the world can hold up well with this type of use with or without a road case. If you're touring the world and have a road crew that throws equipment around, I'd be sure to have a road case. But even then, I can't imagine an amp like this JVM not holding up.

Think about it... All you do is TURN THE FREAKING KNOBS a few times in a night. How in the hell is that going to break anything? If you're transporting it, just be sure not to drop it. That's not asking too much, is it?

People are too caught up in the build quality stuff, I think. Like I said in the first sentence, it is cool to "KNOW" your stuff is all handbuilt with the best stuff, so I get that. But don't think that it's required for anything.

Now if you could only explain this to Cookie Monster!! :D

SgtThump":ac64b said:

I think the plastic shafts would break before anything on the PCB is damaged.

Did you take the knobs off your JVM and look at it? They don't wiggle around in the chassis holes at all. They feel really solid. I saw something that looks like they may be glued to the chassis? I need to look again, though.

Chris

I had mine out when I was biasing the new tubes I got for it - I checked it out then.

I remember the holes in the chassis being larger than the shafts - but I'll have to look again as well before I say it with 100% certainty :)

I'm not worried about it though - just it'd have been nice to see some standard (even dime-size) pots in there instead.

SgtThump":db286 said:

EXACTLY!!! And you probably gig more than most people on any forum. It just isn't a problem. I think the guys that are overly worried about this are the people that just don't understand what it's like to gig...

At this point, I keep my guitars in gig bags for ease of carrying. That includes my nicer LPs. Some people would scoff at the idea of gigging with a guitar that's not in an ATA approved flight case. WTF? Like you, I carry it to my car, then into the club. What's the big deal?

For my drums, I'll be using bags, just because they take up less room, and are less bulky, but still provide padded protection.

For my Gibsons, it's the OHSC (free). If it's the fender, it'll be an aftermarket case, since the one that came with it is a piece of shit.

SgtThump":92fbe said:

I don't think it's soo much about the tuning of the knobs and the actual functionality of the amp as it is the actual durability of it, meaning what it can stand up to in a gigging situation. Obviously just weekend gigs and stuff aren't the same thing as touring the world, BUT, they do have their risks that go along with them. Hauling teh head in a trailor, moving it around teh gig, and the perhaps the biggest danger is the other stagehands/soundguys at the club running aroudn the stage. Those dudes don't care for the most part, and cables can get yanked by people's feet, other stuff could get slammed into the front of the amp, etc, and it's about what the amp could stand up to IF it happened. For example, a couple of weeks ago a soundguy was running around, unplugged my speaker cable from the cab on the opposing side of the stage, and plugged it INTO the speaker output of my other guitar players amp. So the two OUTPUTS were hooked into each other..and we didn't know it and started soundchecking. We figured somethign was wrong when my other guitar player was soundcheckign and his signal was coming out of one of my cabs on my side of the stage. We shut it all down, figured out the problem and nothing was wrong, but it just goes to show, just because you aren't touring the world doesn't mean there aren't lots of hazards that the weekend gig possess.

-Ans-

SkyhighRocks":b2162 said:

I've wondered this for years on guitar forums. What are people doing to their amps to worry about stuff like this?? I cover mine, carry it out to my car, drive to a gig, take it from my car, bring it into the club, place it on my cabinet and then I'm ready to play.

Dude, that's not rock and roll enough. I usually drop kick my amp head off of my 4x12 cab and then I drag the cab and throw it into the back of my Car. Then I end over end my amp until I reach my car and the I throw it in the back seat making sure that I hit every knob on the faceplate.

In all honesty, People talk about build quality because they don't want an amp that has cheap parts breaking on them. That said I'm willing to not care so much about the built quality as long as the amp doesn't break down and the amp sounds good.

SgtThump":40eee said:

Yeah, the chassis holes are larger than the pot shafts. I took a knob off one last night and noticed that there's a thicker gray plastic shaft thingy that pushes up against the chassis from the inside. I didn't take the amp apart to look at this last night, though. Just took a knob off and looked.

The pot is secure firmly against the chassis. The wiggle is the plastic pot shaft for sure.

I didn't see the gray piece! I'll be sure to look tonight - not that I don't believe you, just I can't believe I missed it! :)

guitarslingerans":3a192 said:

I don't think it's soo much about the tuning of the knobs and the actual functionality of the amp as it is the actual durability of it, meaning what it can stand up to in a gigging situation. Obviously just weekend gigs and stuff aren't the same thing as touring the world, BUT, they do have their risks that go along with them. Hauling teh head in a trailor, moving it around teh gig, and the perhaps the biggest danger is the other stagehands/soundguys at the club running aroudn the stage. Those dudes don't care for the most part, and cables can get yanked by people's feet, other stuff could get slammed into the front of the amp, etc, and it's about what the amp could stand up to IF it happened. For example, a couple of weeks ago a soundguy was running around, unplugged my speaker cable from the cab on the opposing side of the stage, and plugged it INTO the speaker output of my other guitar players amp. So the two OUTPUTS were hooked into each other..and we didn't know it and started soundchecking. We figured somethign was wrong when my other guitar player was soundcheckign and his signal was coming out of one of my cabs on my side of the stage. We shut it all down, figured out the problem and nothing was wrong, but it just goes to show, just because you aren't touring the world doesn't mean there aren't lots of hazards that the weekend gig possess.

-Ans-

In my opinion, you scale up how well you protect your gear along with the venue.

If you don't, you get what you deserve.

SgtThump":f9398 said:

Are you at home or work right now? Just pull a knob off and you can see what I'm talking about. It may be different when you look inside, though.

Work :aww:

I'd rather be at home...I was playing my JVM with my strat, clean channel green mode, on-board reverb, and a Boss CE-5 in the loop - Oh, man....

Best clean tones I've ever heard. Inspiring, actually.

SgtThump":3d33d said:

I believe you, so please don't take this wrong. But in my 15+ years of actually gigging, I've never had a problem with anything. I'm real organized and I double-check everything before firing anything up.

I dunno... I just haven't had much gear trouble at all in my life.

Double checking stuff doesn't stop the idiot soudn guy from doing soemthign while you aren't lookign trying to get something else fixed, which is what happened at the club that night. That also doesn't take into account a soundguy/stagehand runnign by and tripping on a cable, pulling the head off a cab. There are LOTS of variables that go into a gig, that are completely out of the musician's control, having durable gear is important.

-Ans-

Back