JVM knobs

:|::QBB:
kannibul":78502 said:

In my opinion, you scale up how well you protect your gear along with the venue.

If you don't, you get what you deserve.

This is my gigging rig (well I sold the ENGL, but this is what my 5150II resides in now as well), I take this everywhere, doesn't matter how small or large, how much better could I protect my stuff?

RoadRack.jpg

-Ans-

I know when I play a show...and I do play alot, the soundguys KNOW not to go near or touch my shit. There usually aren't any stagehands around either.

SgtThump":e689e said:

As I said, I never had any experiences like that at all and that includes big shows with stagehands, sound dudes, etc... I believe you, though. I just haven't had a problem with that myself.

Like I said, it's about having the durability IF you need it. It goes back to the old saying about a condom, or a gun, it's better to have and not need, than need and not have.

-Ans-

SgtThump":68571 said:

And as I said, I see no reason to need anything built more durable than just about any mass produced amp out there, regardless of the gig schedule.

That's not what is in question I think, I think the question surrounding this is that it isn't built as well as the other mass produced amps, and it is in fact, actually becoming LESS well built because they are trying to cut costs soo much. I think that is the issue. That is how I took it anyways.

-A-

guitarslingerans":6eba3 said:

Double checking stuff doesn't stop the idiot soudn guy from doing soemthign while you aren't lookign trying to get something else fixed, which is what happened at the club that night. That also doesn't take into account a soundguy/stagehand runnign by and tripping on a cable, pulling the head off a cab. There are LOTS of variables that go into a gig, that are completely out of the musician's control, having durable gear is important.

-Ans-

1) You should have a backup amp.

2) You should have a clause in your contract that specifies that anyone who damages your equipment other than yourself is fully liable.

3) A handwired amp would be just as unlikely to survive as anything else.

guitarslingerans":06aae said:

That's not what is in question I think, I think the question surrounding this is that it isn't built as well as the other mass produced amps, and it is in fact, actually becoming LESS well built because they are trying to cut costs soo much. I think that is the issue. That is how I took it anyways.

-A-

Right now, no one has the facts. When you hear from credible sources that tons of JVM's or any amplifiers are crapping out or blowing up or loosing knobs then you have the facts. Right now it's just speculation.
Do you remember the group JVM buy on Rigtalk? I think there was only one amplifier in 10 that had a problem.
I heard this same thing about my Engl Powerball. I heard all this talk about how inferior the build quality was but I have not had one problem with it for close to 2 + years and it has been gigged zand slepped to rehearsals.

kannibul":60a08 said:

1) You should have a backup amp.

2) You should have a clause in your contract that specifies that anyone who damages your equipment other than yourself is fully liable.

3) A handwired amp would be just as unlikely to survive as anything else.

1) I do. But this goes back to the amp in question being reliable and durable in the first place. If it's built well and gigs don't have that much risk/stress involved, why need a backup?

2) Contract? What contract? What weekend gigging, local band signs contracts with clubs? Around here, NONE. Clubs don't even offer contracts. They usually book shows through the net and there is no contract at all. Even the out of town shows we've played have in no form, any kind of contract.

3) I never said ANYTHING about handwired. Handwired does not = durable/reliable. It's about the parts used, not so much the contruction technique. You build a fork out of steel, you could have the crappiest build quality ever, and it will still pick up a piece of meat, build it out of paperboard, the best technique in the world won't make it last.

-Ans-

SgtThump":a70cd said:

Pretty sure it's the exact same size as 99% of all other Marshall heads (JCM800, DSL, TSL, JCM900, 6100, etc....)

Chris, do you know of any decent cases that are vented well enough to keep the amp in it while playing?

guitarslingerans":54b58 said:

2) Contract? What contract? What weekend gigging, local band signs contracts with clubs? Around here, NONE. Clubs don't even offer contracts. They usually book shows through the net and there is no contract at all. Event he out of town shows we've played have in no form, any kind of contract.

-Ans-

it's pretty common around my area... but not everywhere it seems.

Gainfreak":39939 said:

Right now, no one has the facts. When you hear from credible sources that tons of JVM's or any amplifiers are crapping out or blowing up or loosing knobs then you have the facts. Right now it's just speculation.
Do you remember the group JVM buy on Rigtalk? I think there was only one amplifier in 10 that had a problem.
I heard this same thing about my Engl Powerball. I heard all this talk about how inferior the build quality was but I have not had one problem with it for close to 2 + years and it has been gigged zand slepped to rehearsals.

Dude, chill out. I never said anything WAS wrong with the JVM. I have no opinion on it either way as I've never come into contact with them, if you go back adn read my posts you'll quite clearly I was speaking from a standpoint of what COULD happen at gigs, and what has happened to me. I wasn't doggign the JVM at all, so don't take it that way. I heard the same kinda crap about my SE as well with reliability issues, and I didn't have a problem either, I was simply giving my experiences with gigs because Chris said there basiaclly wasn' anything to worry about as a gigging musician, which I do not believe is true.

-Ans-

Gainfreak":fbbe3 said:

Exactly. My guess is that if a significant number of these start failing, you'll get a notice in the mail (those of you who filled out the warranty cards) to take the amp to a certified tech for the appropriate upgrades. No big deal.

SgtThump":9b5d4 said:

Nah, I didn't say or imply there's "nothing" to worry about. I'm saying that I think the importance of build quality is over-rated in alot of cases.

I think it is over-rated a lot of the time as well, and I encountered that mentality when I bought my ENGL SE, because everyone thinks for how much they cost, they should be a PTP, handwired amp and since they are PCB, they are a rip-off, and I didn't have problems with mine, so i do understand that the build quality thing is over-rated a lot, and hyped to too much. But, I do think that having a reliable, well built product is important and there are hazards that a gigging musician has to worry about, especially young ones without a huge disposable income to erplace and repair something all the time.

-Ans-

carlygtr56":ffcde said:
I remember when Mesa, early on was mostly hand built or whatever, and knobs were breaking cause the design was such that they stuck out too far.

You dont like the knobs, dont buy the amp. Pretty simple. Like I said, I dont adjust my amps with a pair of pliers.
Coming up with scenerios like, what if an audience member attacks my JVM with a sledge hammer....will the shafts hold up?...is ridiculous.

I had more boutique amps go down for the count....simply sitting on the cab. Never moved....babied...always covered, etc

:confused:

-A-

guitarslingerans":02897 said:

Dude, chill out. I never said anything WAS wrong with the JVM. I have no opinion on it either way as I've never come into contact with them, if you go back adn read my posts you'll quite clearly I was speaking from a standpoint of what COULD happen at gigs, and what has happened to me. I wasn't doggign the JVM at all, so don't take it that way. I heard the same kinda crap about my SE as well with reliability issues, and I didn't have a problem either, I was simply giving my experiences with gigs because Chris said there basiaclly wasn' anything to worry about as a gigging musician, which I do not believe is true.

-Ans-

How the heck did you misconstrue what I was saying? I'm merely adding to the conversation and I'm certainly not singling you out. I’m just saying in general that we don't have the facts yet and only time will tell if the JVM or any amp for that matter will have long time problems.
BTW.. I'm not getting worked up about this subject, I'm only adding to the conversation!! The real person who I think blew this out of Proportion was Cookie Monster with his cross post thread on HC.

Yea, Cookiemonster seems to be anti-JVM...Anti-Marshall. Whatever. The thing with JVM is the more knobs ,pots, whatever else there is, the more chance something is to get loose and break. Right now it's all speculation and we will just have to wait and see. Also I notice it runs pretty hot and it's a small head size for all it holds. Definitely would take the back off if I gig it at high volumes to keep it cool.

Gainfreak":9a667 said:

How the heck did you misconstrue what I was saying? I'm merely adding to the conversation and I'm certainly not singling you out. I’m just saying in general that we don't have the facts yet and only time will tell if the JVM or any amp for that matter will have long time problems.
BTW.. I'm not getting worked up about this subject, I'm only adding to the conversation!! The real person who I think blew this out of Proportion was Cookie Monster with his cross post thread on HC.

It felt as though you were singling me out because you quoted what I had said, misunderstanding, no prob. It's totally true that the long term is going to be the judge if the amp can hold up or not, hoesntly it doesn't matter to me one way or the other cause I'm not going to buy or own one, but, I hope for the owners of them that they do stand up. Hopefully in the super long term they can become the next 800 in the eyes of amp gurus.

-Ans-

guitarslingerans":13f76 said:

It felt as though you were singlign me out because you quoted what I had said, misunderstanding, no prob. It's totally true that the long term is goign to be the judge if the amp can hold up or not, hoesntly it doesn't matter to me one way or the other cause I'm not going to buy or own one, but, i hope for the owners of them that they do stand up. Hopefully in the super long term they can become the next 800 in the eyes of amp gurus.

-Ans-

Yeah, My Bad! I should not have used you reply in the quote! It's a Bad habbit I have! :lol: I hit the quote button instead of just replying to the thread!!

That said, I will buy one down the road because I really like the amp. I have one on loan right now until the owner can come and pick it up!

guitarslingerans":e3111 said:

1) I do. But this goes back to the amp in question being reliable and durable in the first place. If it's built well and gigs don't have that much risk/stress involved, why need a backup?

2) Contract? What contract? What weekend gigging, local band signs contracts with clubs? Around here, NONE. Clubs don't even offer contracts. They usually book shows through the net and there is no contract at all. Even the out of town shows we've played have in no form, any kind of contract.

3) I never said ANYTHING about handwired. Handwired does not = durable/reliable. It's about the parts used, not so much the contruction technique. You build a fork out of steel, you could have the crappiest build quality ever, and it will still pick up a piece of meat, build it out of paperboard, the best technique in the world won't make it last.

-Ans-

#2 is what needs to be done - you need to get a contract. PDF one and email it to them, if that's how they do business.

#3 - ANY amp is going to have a failure rate when abused. Cheap parts, expensive parts - fact is, both will break when abused. One is more expensive to repair though...

simbasa":87e5b said:
Yea, Cookiemonster seems to be anti-JVM...Anti-Marshall. Whatever. The thing with JVM is the more knobs ,pots, whatever else there is, the more chance something is to get loose and break. Right now it's all speculation and we will just have to wait and see. Also I notice it runs pretty hot and it's a small head size for all it holds. Definitely would take the back off if I gig it at high volumes to keep it cool.

It runs hot? My Orange was a hibachi in comparison...

Back