JVM knobs

LOL.......man some of you sound like your next gig is in Iran :D

Being the basement warrior most of the time I will have no issues with these knobs.....seperate eqs helps even more.

Less tweaking :)

:|::QBB:
SgtThump":5f533 said:

A contract is totally unrealistic most of the time.

I won't argue the point - my point is that either there needs to be a contract, or, you guard your gear and keep away any idiots trying to re-run cords, etc, that aren't in your band (provided they aren't idiots too)

Then again, that's what insurance is for (other thread) :)

But, I also think to not take out the expensive stuff - take something cheap that sounds good. Hell, a Crate SS head/cab would sound good enough for most bar-gigs - and if it gets trashed, it's not a big deal.

All my stuff is what I would consider expensive - at the same time, I'm not full-bore looking to get in a band and gig. If I was, I'd either make sure I have insurance, or I'd get some cheap stuff to gig with.

:D

Wow!

I take off for a few hours and somehow I become a JVM hating, Marshall Corp. bashing kill-joy, that doesn't know his head from his ass! :confused:

Let's get a few things strait. I love a well built Marshall, and I am a huge fan of what the Marshall company has produced up until the JCM2000 line for the most part. Also I have personal experience with the downside of some of the lowball components and manufacturing techniques they have used at times, which are directly related to this issue with the JVM; in this case, plastic load bearing mechanisms (pots and jacks) that are directly attached to the PCB via solder, and in this particular case they don't even appear to have nuts securing the plastic pots to the chassis. I have personally, and on more than one occasion, had to repair Marshall products that have had the plastic pots and jacks broken off of the PCB. These pots and jacks will often just break loose slightly at first, becoming loose, and causing strange intermittent noises and signal drops that can be a bit confusing until the cause of the problem is recognized. Not a fun situation.

So you guys that own JVMs, or who are Marshall Corp. nut huggers, please give it a rest. I have not made any personal attack on Marshall Corp., or anyone else, so please don’t be attacking me. I’ve just added my own opinions and experience to the discussion, if you don’t agree my opinions, so be it, but please don’t attack my personal integrity, that’s just flat out wrong.

To me, these issues with the JVM are worthy of a broader and deeper discussion, owners and potential owners have a right to know about them, and everyone has a right to participate and share there views and experience in this discussion.

Cookie Monster":4f088 said:
Wow!

I take off for a few hours and somehow I become a JVM hating, Marshall Corp. bashing kill-joy, that doesn't know his head from his ass! :confused:

Let's get a few things strait. I love a well built Marshall, and I am a huge fan of what the Marshall company has produced up until the JCM2000 line for the most part. Also I have personal experience with the downside of some of the lowball components and manufacturing techniques they have used at times, which are directly related to this issue with the JVM; in this case, plastic load bearing mechanisms (pots and jacks) that are directly attached to the PCB via solder, and in this particular case they don't even appear to have nuts securing the plastic pots to the chassis. I have personally, and on more than one occasion, had to repair Marshall products that have had the plastic pots and jacks broken off of the PCB. These pots and jacks will often just break loose slightly at first, becoming loose, and causing strange intermittent noises and signal drops that can be a bit confusing until the cause of the problem is recognized. Not a fun situation.

So you guys that own JVMs, or who are Marshall Corp. nut huggers, please give it a rest. I have not made any personal attack on Marshall Corp., or anyone else, so please don’t be attacking me. I’ve just added my own opinions and experience to the discussion, if you don’t agree my opinions, so be it, but please don’t attack my personal integrity, that’s just flat out wrong.

To me, these issues with the JVM are worthy of a broader and deeper discussion, owners and potential owners have a right to know about them, and everyone has a right to participate and share there views and experience in this discussion.

So what was your other monikor on HCAF anyways?

SgtThump":7ae6e said:

At this point, I keep my guitars in gig bags for ease of carrying. That includes my nicer LPs. Some people would scoff at the idea of gigging with a guitar that's not in an ATA approved flight case. WTF? Like you, I carry it to my car, then into the club. What's the big deal?

LOL, I thought I was the only one using gig bags at shows. I saw a guy nearly have a coronary watching my pull my quilt 10 top PRS out of a gig bag recently. :)

Digital Jams":e3fa7 said:

So what was your other monikor on HCAF anyways?

Since I see that you are forum stalking me, I'll post this here as well.

First, why are you forum stalking me?

Secondly, what are you implying with the other "monikor" comment?

Cookie Monster":19ba7 said:

Since I see that you are forum stalking me, I'll post this here as well.

First, why are you forum stalking me?

Secondly, what are you implying with the other "monikor" comment?

So who were you?

Simple enough question :)

:lol: :lol:
I think this is funny. It has made five pages and no one has even had a shaft break yet.

Oh I should say I have not even seen a JVM yet so I can't comment.

SgtThump":64d43 said:

Just so you know, I don't take offense to anything you said. No biggy to me. But I'm telling you and everyone else, I removed a few knobs from my JVM last night and they are more secure than anyone is saying. They are not loose/wobbly and only supported by a few soldering joints on the PCB.

It's true that there are no nuts connecting the pot to the chassis, but there is a thicker gray plastic thing that's securing the pot. The wiggling people are talking about is the plastic shaft. Not saying that's a good thing either, but it's not nearly as bad as the PCB cracking in half, because the pots are all loose.

But anyway, I used to defend my purchases and all that stuff online years ago. I'm over that now. I better be, because I play those horrible Norlin-era Les Pauls, crappy new Marshalls that fall apart, etc... :)

Well, it's good to hear that there may be some alternate connector being used for the pots, and as you said, there is no need to defend your gear.

Nothing I said was intended to be a personal attack on anyone, their gear, or any company. Like I said, I was just sharing my own personal experience, frustrations, and concerns, that is all.

I see that I've inadvertently stepped on some toes here, that's unfortunate, and was not my intention.

Cookie Monster":1d617 said:
Wow!

What you have experianced in the past is a far cry from what you posted about an amp that you don't own. You cant apply previous experiances that you might have had with another amp with entirely new product line. I would not have said anything if you said...jeez I hope the JVM doen't have problems like some other Marshall amps did. You post came off as if the JVM's are definitely going to have a problem with absolutely no FACTS. That's what we are talking about. If you are going to say what you said about the amp you should at least have some experiance with the said amp and the said problem before you shoot your mouth off. I think even Marshalls techs will tell you that they had problems in the past and although the JVM might use similar parts, It's done a bit differently.

And for the record, Im no Marshall amp nut hugger or any brand name nut hugger. I could care less about defending an amp.. but I will defend or challenge a remark when I find it questionable at best. I speak my mind and I think you lost site of the point with your thread on HC. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

strungup":708c3 said:
:lol: :lol:
I think this is funny. It has made five pages and no one has even had a shaft break yet.

Oh I should say I have not even seen a JVM yet so I can't comment.

Give it some time....one thing I've learned along the way is cost-cutting the build quality on ANYTHING + metalheadz = :cry: for someone in the end.

;)

Gainfreak":6e65d said:

What you have experianced in the past is a far cry from what you posted about an amp that you don't own. You cant apply previous experiances that you might have had with another amp with entirely new product line. I would not have said anything if you said...jeez I hope the JVM doen't have problems like some other Marshall amps did. You post came off as if the JVM's are definitely going to have a problem with absolutely no FACTS. That's what we are talking about. If you are going to say what you said about the amp you should at least have some experiance with the said amp and the said problem before you shoot your mouth off. I think even Marshalls techs will tell you that they had problems in the past and although the JVM might use similar parts, It's done a bit differently.

And for the record, Im no Marshall amp nut hugger or any brand name nut hugger. I could care less about defending an amp.. but I will defend or challenge a remark when I find it questionable at best. I speak my mind and I think you lost site of the point with your thread on HC. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

Actually the issue is not so much one amp versus another, as it is components and manufacturing techniques, and in this case, these amps have these things in common and are applicable to the discussion, that’s a FACT. If a said type of component and manufacturing technique has led to a certain malfunction before, than it is very likely to happen again if repeated. That's the point of what I said. This has nothing to do with weather or not any particular person owns the amp, it’s just a FACT of logic. Of course, "nothing personal", it should have never been. I sure didn't make it that way. It’s just that some people are taking this personally, and getting all hurt and offended over it, and here come the real personal attacks on me. Oh well, guess I should have known.

Cookie Monster":fc2c4 said:

Actually the issue is not so much one amp versus another, as it is components and manufacturing techniques, and in this case, these amps have these things in common and are applicable to the discussion, that’s a FACT. If a said type of component and manufacturing technique has led to a certain malfunction before, than it is very likely to happen again if repeated. That's the point of what I said. This has nothing to do with weather or not any particular person owns the amp, it’s just a FACT of logic. Of course, "nothing personal", it should have never been. I sure didn't make it that way. It’s just that some people are taking this personally, and getting all hurt and offended over it, and here come the real personal attacks on me. Oh well, guess I should have known.

How do you know that these issues haven't been addressed? You don't.
Keep trying but no one is buying it. FWIW, Some Bogner amplifiers have the same Manufacturing/Build techniques with no problems.. so your FACT theory already is flawed. The bottom line is that until the JVM had been out for a while, only time will tell what is fact and what is opinion.

Gainfreak":519d9 said:

How do you know that these issues haven't been addressed? You don't.
Keep trying but no one is buying it. FWIW, Some Bogner amplifiers have the same Manufacturing/Build techniques with no problems.. so your FACT theory already is flawed. The bottom line is that until the JVM had been out for a while, only time will tell what is fact and what is opinion.

Flame on sweetie! :thumbsup:

kannibul":bc97e said:

1) You should have a backup amp.

2) You should have a clause in your contract that specifies that anyone who damages your equipment other than yourself is fully liable.

3) A handwired amp would be just as unlikely to survive as anything else.

1) True, and I do.

2) This sounds like the voice of inexerience talking. In a perfect world every gig would be contracted, and in a perfect world that contract would be worth more than the paper it's printed on, and in a perfect world the person who damaged your gear would have the means to compensate you.

Now back to reality. I've played literally over 1000 paid gigs over the past 20 years. I've played everything from crappy little $200 gigs to sharing the big stage with national acts and everything in-between. Sometimes you have a contract, sometimes not. Sometimes the client and you end up making changes to that contract.

But in the end, a contract is only apiece of paper. If a party violates the contract then the process of resolution can take years and cost thousands of dollars in legal fees. I know this from experience, I have personally been involved in a large sum legal action with a company that was the result of my band. In the end, we were satisfied with our agreement (I signed a non-disclosure so that's all I can say about that) but it wasn't fun or fast.

3) I disagree. It's not the "hand wired" aspect that makes an amp more reliable, but I've never seen a hand wired amp that didn't also incorporate the solid construction features that the JVM (and pretty much all other models and brands of mass produced amps) doesn't have.

From my blackface Fenders to my Dr Z's to everything else I've gigged heavily over the years, the "internal organs" of the amp are much better mounted and supported, the transformers are better secured, the tube sockets, jacks and pots are chassis mounted, etc. All of those features mean that the amp can likely sustain a direct fall off of a 4x12 cab onto the floor, a direct smash into the knobs with a heavy mic stand, a drop out of a trailer, etc. and other than cosmetic damage things will probably be OK. The new breed of "disposable" amp construction won't withstand that sort of abuse and accident.

I'm not saying that the boutique amps are better, just that theyare built better. You probably won't (shouldn't) ever need to worry about it, but sometimes in the worl of live performance bad shit happens. Having an overbuilt amp is similar to having good insurance - in the rare case thatyou need it you sure are glad you had it.

Back