EH 6CA7's - anybody tried these in a Marshall?

ratter

Thinking about giving them a shot before going for the ol' standby SED's.

Anybody got some time with the EH's?

I have them in my Orange Rockerverb 100. I dig them a lot. They have a bigger bottom than EL34's and the clean channel stays cleaner longer.

Oh yeah. Have some in my 100w SL-X.

I love 'em. Killer low end growl for an EL34 type. More headroom as well.

I've avoided these, the samples I was sent showed hot spots on the screen grids(glowing in places on the wire), they have screen grid alignment issues. FWIW

:|::QBB:
RoccaforteAmps":2b1ff said:
I've avoided these, the samples I was sent showed hot spots on the screen grids(glowing in places on the wire), they have screen grid alignment issues. FWIW

Yeah, I'm gonna skip them. Everybody's saying they don't stand up to high plate voltages very well, too?

ratter":35149 said:

Yeah, I'm gonna skip them. Everybody's saying they don't stand up to high plate voltages very well, too?

I have to politely disagree. Maybe the Electro Harmonix 6CA7's don't stand up but I have had a great deal of success with the NOS Philips/Sylvania 6CA7's. Great tube with tremendous bottom end. The bad part is that they are very hard to find now in matched sets or at all for that matter.

The GE/RCA 6CA7's have a slight hum that if the amp is cranked you might hear but probably only if you are recording otherwise great tubes as well. I do however prefer the Philips/Syvania versions. Of course this is just my opinion.

Chris Schmidt":22be3 said:

I have to politely disagree. Maybe the Electro Harmonix 6CA7's don't stand up but I have had a great deal of success with the NOS Philips/Sylvania 6CA7's. Great tube with tremendous bottom end. The bad part is that they are very hard to find now in matched sets or at all for that matter.

The GE/RCA 6CA7's have a slight hum that if the amp is cranked you might hear but probably only if you are recording otherwise great tubes as well. I do however prefer the Philips/Syvania versions. Of course this is just my opinion.

All vintage Philips/sylvania and RCA 6Ca7's were all made by GE.
Why they all look the same inside.
BTW, thats the equipment Aspen Pittman is using
for his GE reissue.FYI. Doug

So Aspen is using the SAME equipment they used decades ago to build his GT-6CA7's? Have you tired these, Doug?

Keith

GE and Phillips both made a 6ca7, they're a little bit different in construction but they're both nice tubes, the main difference was welded vs. crimped plates if I remember right, there's a site somewhere with some side by side comparisons. GT bought some old plate material and equipment from the Owensboro GE plant and uses it for their 6ca7 and 6l6GE, those tubes say made in USA on them but they are still bottled in china, aparently the guts are assembled here then shipped off to china to be bottled. I've not heard either one but I've heard that the 6l6 is a dog, the 6ca7 has been shelved for a bit because it didn't sell so hot and they've been concentrating on their new "mullard clone". That said I'd like to try a pair of those 6ca7's from GT if I could find some.

Hey guys,
How do the 6CA7s compare to the KT-77.

I've only used the JJ KT-77s. Not the "original" KT-77.

Thanks

Chris Schmidt":a2c32 said:

Sorry I was specifically talking about the EH's.

I threw 4 EH6ca7s in my splawn. It was clearer but seemed less dynamic, and although they sounded good, with a hint of EVH, I took them back. Cuz it was a feel issue. They didn't feel as good as the EL34s.

Back