JVM knobs

:|::QBB:
kannibul":4a99b said:

#2 is what needs to be done - you need to get a contract. PDF one and email it to them, if that's how they do business.

#3 - ANY amp is going to have a failure rate when abused. Cheap parts, expensive parts - fact is, both will break when abused. One is more expensive to repair though...

Some gigs won't sign a contract, plain and simple. Some wouldn't matter because you'd never get them tomake good on it if they did sign it.

You're right about the cheap parts and expensive parts both being subject to breakage. And you're right about the cost - the cheaply constructed amps will cost many times more to repair than the overbuilt hand wired amps. There' nothing that I or any tech can't repair or replace in any of my amps with basic tools and 20 minutes time. You can't even get to the broken PCB in most of these new amps in that time, and when you do you often have to replace the entire PCB and all components on it because it's disposable.

Know this basic truth in life:

Quality - Price - Service.....Pick Two, it is impossible to achieve all 3

Odin":b836b said:

1) True, and I do.

2) This sounds like the voice of inexerience talking. In a perfect world every gig would be contracted, and in a perfect world that contract would be worth more than the paper it's printed on, and in a perfect world the person who damaged your gear would have the means to compensate you.

Now back to reality. I've played literally over 1000 paid gigs over the past 20 years. I've played everything from crappy little $200 gigs to sharing the big stage with national acts and everything in-between. Sometimes you have a contract, sometimes not. Sometimes the client and you end up making changes to that contract.

But in the end, a contract is only apiece of paper. If a party violates the contract then the process of resolution can take years and cost thousands of dollars in legal fees. I know this from experience, I have personally been involved in a large sum legal action with a company that was the result of my band. In the end, we were satisfied with our agreement (I signed a non-disclosure so that's all I can say about that) but it wasn't fun or fast.

3) I disagree. It's not the "hand wired" aspect that makes an amp more reliable, but I've never seen a hand wired amp that didn't also incorporate the solid construction features that the JVM (and pretty much all other models and brands of mass produced amps) doesn't have.

From my blackface Fenders to my Dr Z's to everything else I've gigged heavily over the years, the "internal organs" of the amp are much better mounted and supported, the transformers are better secured, the tube sockets, jacks and pots are chassis mounted, etc. All of those features mean that the amp can likely sustain a direct fall off of a 4x12 cab onto the floor, a direct smash into the knobs with a heavy mic stand, a drop out of a trailer, etc. and other than cosmetic damage things will probably be OK. The new breed of "disposable" amp construction won't withstand that sort of abuse and accident.

I'm not saying that the boutique amps are better, just that theyare built better. You probably won't (shouldn't) ever need to worry about it, but sometimes in the worl of live performance bad shit happens. Having an overbuilt amp is similar to having good insurance - in the rare case thatyou need it you sure are glad you had it.

Transformers are better mounted...have you looked at the JVM? I mean, seriously, have you looked at it? For anyone to say the JVM is built bad enough to warrant even 0.001% of the "concerns" that people are spewing forth, is laughable at best.

Treat your stuff well and it will treat you well - abuse your stuff and it will fail on you.

That's my main point.

I checked mine - the gray Chris was referring to is the chassis under the metal faceplate.

It's cut to a pretty good amount of precision - to about as good as I would consider, for example, a CTS or Alpha pot. That said, the plastic shaft flexes a *bit*, and can move a bit within the "bushing" formed from the chassis hole.

Anyway...I am not worried about it. If I had a legitimate complaint about the construction of the JVM, this would be it. However, that says a lot - since I mean this would be the first and last complaint I would have.

However, I don't think it warrants concern, which is why until this thread, I've not mentioned it...we all kniow how I love to complain!

Odin":8e92b said:

Some gigs won't sign a contract, plain and simple. Some wouldn't matter because you'd never get them tomake good on it if they did sign it.

You're right about the cheap parts and expensive parts both being subject to breakage. And you're right about the cost - the cheaply constructed amps will cost many times more to repair than the overbuilt hand wired amps. There' nothing that I or any tech can't repair or replace in any of my amps with basic tools and 20 minutes time. You can't even get to the broken PCB in most of these new amps in that time, and when you do you often have to replace the entire PCB and all components on it because it's disposable.

Know this basic truth in life:

Quality - Price - Service.....Pick Two, it is impossible to achieve all 3

Right...you took my point and flipped it.

Back to what I was saying.

Let's look at some examples...

Turning it on without a speaker cable. Same results.

Drop your amp down a flight of stairs. Same results.

Knock over a full stack. Same results.

Component failure. Same results

How many more issues can we think of that would result in the same results no matter how well or how badly constructed an amp is done?

Even tone is subjective. Does a Bogner 101C sound 2.25x better than a JVM410?

Now, lets take into consideration of expertise and repairs.

Handwired "well constructed" amp:
Troubleshooting = $50 - $250 (depending on complexity, availability of schematics, hourly rate, technician ability)
Repair - parts = <$1 - $250 (capacitor to transformer)
Repair - labor = $50-$150 (depending on technician ability, complexity, schematics, hourly rate. Potentially considered part of the troubleshooting bill)

"Shit"-built amp:
Troubleshooting = $50 - $100 (is it this board, or is it that board?)
Repair - Parts = $10-$200 (order new board, ship old one off for re-use, transformers are cheaper since they are purchased by the 1000's)
Repair - Labor = $25 (swap boards, test)

Even from a repair perspective - a "shit" built amp wins out (given equal availability of parts)
Labor is also cheaper, since the person can be less skilled! It doesn't take a Hardware Engineer to assemble a PC these days. Same with amps.

The bottom line for JVM right now is it's a great amp for the money and no breakdowns for most people. It's a 4 channel amp with midi capability, programmable footswitch,seperate reverb on all channels, Parallel and serial effex loop, direct out recording [which sounds great] and what else did I miss besides excellent tones for the money? JVM is a TON of bang for the buck. Who cares what anyone complains about? It's minor compared to what you get. It's really a joke what some people go to bring it down. :lol:

Ralphie, Carl, Kannibul, Odin, et.al., it's ALLLLL over. Too late for me.
I FUCKING threw down today. WildWest Guitars. 1 JVM left in the store, and probably only 3 in Southern California available for sale (after this followed me home today).

JVM410H.jpg

To all of the folks that say that the JVM squeals.....
it does. Like EVH, like Dime, it loves the harmonic pull!

WWG's has some shit lighting, and results in all sorts of noise. Took everyone's word on faith, bought it and brought it home. Retubed the preamp tubes with JJ's, Chinese and Russian 12AX7's. LORDY, is that good. Sure OD2 Red's got some hiss and noise, what HiGain wouldn't? Man is this thing rockin'.

So with the wobbly shafts and all, she's home and she's rocking with the Herbert (and the other vintage Marshalls).

Best acquisition in a long time. BELIEVE THE HYPE - it's real.
:thumbsup: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

Oh, and one other thing.
It does a real convincing Cameronized Marshall impression as well. :eek:
(at least compared to my 81 2203 that Mark modded in 1997)

eddyrox":8d065 said:
It does a real convincing Cameronized Marshall impression as well. :eek:
(at least compared to my 81 2203 that Mark modded in 1997)

Um, yeah....I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with you on that ;)

Steve E

SgtThump":2a369 said:

I thought that too, but haven't said anything about it! Well, I did actually mention it to someone that has alot of experiece with Cameron-modded Marshalls and he didn't agree with me that it sounds similar. But I still think it does. :)

Chris

Hey Chris, I've known Mark for well over 10 years, and no worries on thinking that!;) :lol: The first thing I said to him after NAMM was, "dude that JVM's sounding pretty fly". His response? "Cool - I'm glad to see that Marshall's trying to get back to what sounds good." That's just Mark. He's not threatened, he knows his shit ROX and SLAYS. If something's as good, he's the first to admit it as well. Cameron is definitely cool with the JVM.

Back