people slagging amps that can't play

:|::QBB:
danyeo":dd2d5 said:
Oh My, Speak Of The Devil.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524564

And yeah, I'll be a dick and point out who started the thread. Remember when this guy claimed that the JVM had a design flaw when in fact it turned out to be his pickup. And he owns a JVM, Einstein, LP, and thousands of dollars worth of other equipement and his playing just sums up this thread.

:idea:

Either you read my mind or Digital Jams PM'd you :lol:

(i only read the opening two or three posts, lol)

wow, this is a brave thread. kudos! I agree, at least in part.

i guess the flipside is, if you aren't careful, if someone doesn't like a certain amp, they'll be accused of not being able to play, which isn't really fair either.

:cheers:

:|::QBB:
dave_mc":a5899 said:
(i only read the opening two or three posts, lol)

wow, this is a brave thread. kudos! I agree, at least in part.

i guess the flipside is, if you aren't careful, if someone doesn't like a certain amp, they'll be accused of not being able to play, which isn't really fair either.

True, that's not fair.

Its more along the lines of when I hear someone say an amp isn't tight enough, the palm mutes etc. are flubby and people parrot that its annoying. Especially when you hear a clip of their playing and realize instantly its not the amps fault.

^ yeah, i know what you mean, and that I agree with.

I'm just saying, if you make people (and I realise there was no real intent to, more just an observation) "prove" they can play, you then run the risk of people without clips almost not being able to post opinions without getting flamed.

Which I guess is unlikely, lol.

anyway, cool thread.

EDIT: there was some other doubtless highly insightful point I meant to make, but I forgot it as i was typing. :doh: :lol:

the best players I know could really give a shit about the nuances of gear, they got a guitar that feels great an amp that does the job and they let there fingers do the work! I heard an ACE r&b guitarist make a valveking head and stock mexi sound like the heavens today! The people that spend too much time worrying about radius , nos tubes, fretboard wood, pickup magnets, x-y speaker patterns, etc. largely suck in my experiences!

also ..the one that gets me the most are the people that claim and amp "can't cut it with a band" when they have never played out in there lives...

now I personally am no great player...but I can hear a guy like Jack White or Greg Ginn go for it and it rocks me bigtime!!! I definitley wouldnt call those 2 players virtuosos or masters of "tone" but they can make it work for them and write the amazing tunage!!!

or what about the platinum producer/engineer that can't play a lick but can record amazing sounds?

Back