Back to the 5150/Caparison combo for me!

mrp5150

Just ordered a new Frozen Sky TAT II from Japan, should be here by next week.

TATII%20frozensky.gif

First time I've bought a Caparison new and I'm all about that Frozen Sky finish, so I'm excited about that. :love:

Also scored a bias modded 5150 off of Craigslist, which should arrive near the end of the week.

27041545.jpg

:thumbsup:

Is your Angelus HGS Trans Blue Matte still on the way as well? How much did you end up throwing down for the TAT II total? I dig those guitars, but I'm interested to know if they play closer to a Angelus, or a Delliner/Horus type feel.

-ans-

:|::QBB:
guitarslingerans":c85f7 said:
Is your Angelus HGS Trans Blue Matte still on the way as well? How much did you end up throwing down for the TAT II total? I dig those guitars, but I'm interested to know if they play closer to a Angelus, or a Delliner/Horus type feel.

-ans-

Nah man, they ended up not having that Angelus in stock, so I went with the TAT instead. The TAT has the thinnest neck of all the Caparisons, it's definitely closest to the Dellinger overall though. Same scale, bound ebony board, same pickup config, etc.

EDIT: The TAT was 200,200 Yen shipped. :P

I just did a bias mod to a 5150 for someone and it made a ton of difference. The bass response was so much better. Also, I installed 2 NOS Philips 12AX7's in V3 and V4 to help fatten up the lead channel. The amp sounds great. Have you ever had a 5150 with the bias mod?

I worded it wrongly, I should have said overall feel, not so much the actually playability, but moreso how SOLID the guitar feels. The Horus I have owned/played, have felt kinda light and toyish in comparison with my Angelus. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the TAT when it arrives.

-A-

killertone":9f21b said:
I just did a bias mod to a 5150 for someone and it made a ton of difference. The bass response was so much better. Also, I installed 2 NOS Philips 12AX7's in V3 and V4 to help fatten up the lead channel. The amp sounds great. Have you ever had a 5150 with the bias mod?

Well, I had a JerryP 5150 with the bias and clarity mods, but from that I can't really judge just the bias mod by itself since I had them done at the same time.

Megadeth7684":86638 said:

Well, I had a JerryP 5150 with the bias and clarity mods, but from that I can't really judge just the bias mod by itself since I had them done at the same time.

How was that amp compared to a stock 5150?

guitarslingerans":64776 said:
Iw ored it wrongly, I should have said overall feel, not so much the actually playability, but moreso how SOLID the gutiar feels. The Horus I have owned/played, have felt kinda light and toyish in comparison with my Angelus. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the TAT when it arrives.

-A-

I've owned a TAT before, it was the best guitar I've ever played honestly. They feel very solid for sure. The TAT's and Angelus models are my favorite Caparisons. Also the Dellinger CA, but the quality and feel of that was much better than a standard Dellinger model IMO.

killertone":93054 said:

How was that amp compared to a stock 5150?

Clearer sounding and cleaner overall. I honestly didn't like what the clarity mod did though, it seemed to take away too much 5150 character. Most people seem to love the clarity mod, but I like the fact that the 5150 isn't super clear and clean sounding like a VHT or something. I don't play any super fast thrashy stuff, so I don't need a super tight or super clear amp. I just love the 5150 stock, and I'm hoping just the bias mod will be cool as well.

Right on, I think you will dig the bias mod then. It doesn't take any characrcter away from the 5150. I thnk it mainly changes the bass response, but only if you bias it hotter. The one I did was factory biased at about 22mA. I biased it to 33mA with 480 plate volts and it rocked. :)

Megadeth7684":0a2ad said:

Clearer sounding and cleaner overall. I honestly didn't like what the clarity mod did though, it seemed to take away too much 5150 character. Most people seem to love the clarity mod, but I like the fact that the 5150 isn't super clear and clean sounding like a VHT or something. I don't play any super fast thrashy stuff, so I don't need a super tight or super clear amp. I just love the 5150 stock, and I'm hoping just the bias mod will be cool as well.

I have a JerryP 5150II, and I somewhat agree, I kinda dig the original, stock 5150 more. Granted, the 5150II I have has a TON of mods done to it, so anyone of them could be the reason I prefer the original 5150 to it, but it seems to lack some of the bite and cut that the original 5150 has. (My 5150II has the lead channel restored to original 5150 specs, BTW.)

I may try out some GT 6L6's in the modded 5150II, but I think I may sell it soon. Oh well, we shall see.

-A-

killertone":e7eca said:
Right on, I think you will dig the bias mod then. It doesn't take any characrcter away from the 5150. I thnk it mainly changes the bass response, but only if you bias it hotter. The one I did was factory biased at about 22mA. I biased it to 33mA with 480 plate volts and it rocked. :)

Yeah, Jerry does great work, I just prefer stock 5150's. He modded my Vox wah and it sounds fucking awesome. :thumbsup:

guitarslingerans":065c8 said:

I have a JerryP 5150II, and I somewhat agree, I kinda dig the original, stock 5150 more. Granted, the 5150II I have has a TON of mods done to it, so anyone of them could be the reason I prefer the original 5150 to it, but it seems to lack some of the bite and cut that the original 5150 has. (My 5150II has the lead channel restored to original 5150 specs, BTW.)

I may try out some GT 6L6's in the modded 5150II, but I think I may sell it soon. Oh well, we shall see.

-A-

Do you still have a stock 5150?

guitarslingerans":113d3 said:
Yeah I do. :) It's THE 5150 I have put head to head with all the Dezels, Bogners, VHTs, ENGLs, Mesas, Kranks, etc that I've owned.

-Ans-

Sounds familiar...

3876e65a.jpg

4023bb1d.jpg

867fd2d4.jpg

f524192e.jpg

fe00bffc.jpg

e53a56ea.jpg

000_0771.jpg

000_0323.jpg

6eb4ef38.jpg

0d7757ff.jpg

ef05e921.jpg

b2d21675.jpg

000_0717.jpg

5150 FTW! :D

Megadeth7684":aa4d4 said:

Sounds familiar...

3876e65a.jpg

4023bb1d.jpg

867fd2d4.jpg

f524192e.jpg

fe00bffc.jpg

e53a56ea.jpg

000_0771.jpg

000_0323.jpg

6eb4ef38.jpg

0d7757ff.jpg

ef05e921.jpg

b2d21675.jpg

000_0717.jpg

5150 FTW! :D

Yeah. it's funny too, cause I notice we have pretty similar settings on oru 5150s. Mine isn't a block letter though, it's the Sig head, and it has a set of GT 6L6s in it from Doug, an RFT in V2, and Tesla JJs in the rest of the slots. It's never been modded or anything either, it's bone stock, sans the tubes. Always sounds bad ass, always stands up to the big boys with no problems. I need to compile a picture log chronicling all the boutiqe amps I've had that have run through my doors, while the 5150 stays and keeps kickin ass.

Yo Ans! Will the Blackmore be taking the modded 5150's place?

I dunno yet, I need to hear it with the band before i make a choice one way or the other, but it's certainly possible. If not, then I'll go back to a Savage I think, that or find another original 5150 that hasn't been modded, and MAYBE get the bias mod done, just so i can be more flexiable in my tube selection and such.

-Ans-

Back