Back to the 5150/Caparison combo for me!

:|::QBB:
Megadeth7684":19883 said:

I just listened to the "Angry" clip. It sounds a bit bassy/woofy to me, but pretty good. :)

There are lots of variable as to why it might sound bassy to you...That isn't how it sounds live, believe me. :thumbsup: Overly bassy guitar tones are not my thing. :)

You dig the SED 6L6s eh? What about some GTs? I've got a NOS Mullard, and an RFT in V1 already, and I've got some Tesla JJ's, but I was thinking about changing the power tubes. What is yours biased to? I read the tutorial and I think I can manage it pretty easily. From your experience, is everything in that little lesson I need to know to bias up the BM?

-Ans-

guitarslingerans":b562a said:
You dig the SED 6L6s eh? What about some GTs? I've got a NOS Mullard, and an RFT in V1 already, and I've got some Tesla JJ's, but I was thinking about changing the power tubes. What is yours biased to? I read the tutorial and I think I can manage it pretty easily. From your experience, is everything in that little lesson I need to know to bias up the BM?

-Ans-

Yeah, once I tried the SED's in that amp I was much more happy with it. GT's are generally some other maker's tube with GT stamped on them so I tend to just go with the original manufacturer. I also have NOS Mullards in V1 and V2 and an RFT in V3 and they rule! :)

I read between 430 and 445 volts on the plates of my Blackmore. Kinda low for a 6L6 amp so i biased it to about 42mA. That is about 62% of max dissipation and to my ear was a sweet spot. :thumbsup:

I definitely think you can bias the amp yourself. I would recomend getting a bias tool like the Weber Bias Rite though. It makes things a lot easier and is safer to use as well. It reads plate and bias voltage without you having to stick the probes of your voltmeter in the amp. :) Plus, it is handy to have and will work on any EL34 or 6L6 based amp. :thumbsup:

Octal. It is the one for EL34 and 6L6 amps. Also, make sure you get the one that reads plate and bias voltage. You will love that thing. :)

Cool. I think all the compelte units come with the bias and plate voltage readouts, stock. :)

I have a question though, you say you biased yours at 42mA, couldn't I get a matched quad of SEDs, plug up teh weber, and bias it up to that without really reading and measuring other stuff, or is it NEEDED for me to read out everything, do the calculations and then bias up the amp?

-Ans-

guitarslingerans":c7482 said:
Cool. I think all the compelte units come with the bias and plate voltage readouts, stock. :)

I have a question though, you say you biased yours at 42mA, couldn't I get a matched quad of SEDs, plug up teh weber, and bias it up to that without really reading and measuring other stuff, or is it NEEDED for me to read out everything, do the calculations and then bias up the amp?

-Ans-

You probably could get away with biasing it to 42mA straight away but it is so easy to read the plate voltage with BR-4 then flip the switch and read the bias voltage that I recommend doing it that way. Use this easy formula:

tube dissipation/plate voltage * percentage of dissipation = bias voltage

Tube dissipation for a 6L6 is 30. Your plate voltage is probably the same as mine, around 445 but you will want to check with your Bias Rite. Percentage is between 50% (cold) and 70% (hot). Any number in between those will work but I think around 60% is really good for a Blackmore.

So your formula would look something like this depending on your actual reading of plate voltage:

30/445 * .6 = 40mA

You dig? :thumbsup:

Digital Jams":4f6f1 said:

I was cool that you posted something other than chugga.

Terry says what's up btw and I see him Saturday.

Right on man, tell him I said I love the CD. I went ahead and bought it from the Guitar 9 site and it is awesome! :thumbsup:

I think I get it. Divide whatever my actual plate voltage is by 30 , then multiply it by th number of percent I want to run, which by your suggestion is around 60% (.6), right?

-Ans-

killertone":54a8a said:

Right on man, tell him I said I love the CD. I went ahead and bought it from the Guitar 9 site and it is awesome! :thumbsup:

With what he was going through damn impressive cd huh?? He is an all around bad ass on guitar and I really enjoy my lesson time with him.

guitarslingerans":a1c61 said:
I think I get it. Divide whatever my actual plate voltage is by 30 , then multiply it by th number of percent I want to run, which by your suggestion is around 60% (.6), right?

-Ans-
Divide 30 by your actual plate voltage and you've got it! :thumbsup:

Digital Jams":a1c61 said:

With what he was going through damn impressive cd huh?? He is an all around bad ass on guitar and I really enjoy my lesson time with him.

No doubt about it. He is an amazing player. Tack on the physical issues he has had and he still kills it. I bet your lessons are a blast! :)

Megadeth7684":d3719 said:

Nah man, they ended up not having that Angelus in stock, so I went with the TAT instead. The TAT has the thinnest neck of all the Caparisons, it's definitely closest to the Dellinger overall though. Same scale, bound ebony board, same pickup config, etc.

EDIT: The TAT was 200,200 Yen shipped. :P

A little under $1,700.. Whats all the custom and import fees gonna run?

Killer looking axe mark!!!! Cant wait to see more pics and reviews.

:thumbsup:

onehourburn":e9e11 said:

A little under $1,700.. Whats all the custom and import fees gonna run?

Killer looking axe mark!!!! Cant wait to see more pics and reviews.

:thumbsup:

I've only had to pay customs fees one time (from Canada of all places), and it was only $40. Usually with EMS there isn't any extra fees. Guitar Asylum wants $2400 for a TAT, I think I'll stick with Japan. :yes:

Megadeth7684":4adf3 said:

I've only had to pay customs fees one time (from Canada of all places), and it was only $40. Usually with EMS there isn't any extra fees. Guitar Asylum wants $2400 for a TAT, I think I'll stick with Japan. :yes:

Any idea what a Dellinger II in TDR would cost to the US? I have been scoping that guitar out for a while...

killertone":ebb20 said:

Any idea what a Dellinger II in TDR would cost to the US? I have been scoping that guitar out for a while...

About $1450-1500 shipped.

They changed the color on that to Pro Transparent Dark Rose, which is a matte finish instead of a gloss finish.

dellinger2%20protransdarkrose.gif

dellinger2%2007heel.jpg

Back