Edumcate me on Edwards LP's and PRS guitars

:|::QBB:
jem7vwh":84b5c said:
Ohhh, how much are those Burnys?

The one I posted is selling for $725, which is actually a bit high. You can score them for $500-700 on Ebay if you keep an eye out. You just have to make sure it's an older MIJ model, not the newer Korean junk.

Megadeth7684":c7702 said:

The one I posted is selling for $725, which is actually a bit high. You can score them for $500-700 on Ebay if you keep an eye out. You just have to make sure it's an older MIJ model, not the newer Korean junk.
Hmm, it looks like they have "ebonized" or dyed rosewood fretboards.... Damn.

jem7vwh":9427c said:
Hmm, it looks like they have "ebonized" or dyed rosewood fretboards.... Damn.

It's really dark rosewood, it looks just like ebony for the most part. I like the stock pickups in them as well. Awesome guitars for sure.

Here's another sweet looking Burny...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burny-Les-Paul-Custom-Made-In-Japan-1980s-Super-Nice_W0QQitemZ160104315112QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I might suggest a solid mahogany guitar if you're looking for a darker sound.
I have a McCarty and a Singlecut that are both solid mahogany and actually favor them to my maple top PRS.

just for reference, the McCarty pickups suck IMO. they are dark, but muddy and too mellow for that guitar to me. I pulled them out immediately. you might like 'em but the majority don't care for them.

I'd agree with the above. Personally, if you want dark with sustain and easy playability, I'd say a Singlecut or a CU22. I dont like how the trem version of the Custom 22 sounds, but I LOVE how my stop-tail version sounds. Dark, clear, punchy and lots of sustain.

SgtThump":061c1 said:

The Edwards guitars are far, far from a plastic cheap piece of junk. Trust me... The "laquer taste" series Edwards are freaking awesome! Very resonant and full of sustain. Excellent guitars.

I had Dave's Sykes and yeah she had too much poly on it but it was a well put together guitar for what I paid. Fully bound and duncan loaded for a good price.

That is another thing about the Edwards stuff...the long tenon which imo helps transfer string energy to the body more than a short set-neck tenon.

SgtThump":70f1f said:

Is that the "laquer taste" series? Did it have only a thin semi-gloss finish or was it just as shiny as most other guitars?

It was just the same as any other guitar. Sounded and played totally average, felt like cheap junk to me. I have no interest in ever buying another one.

CaseyCor":f72af said:
How much do those Edwards usually go for?

That one I had was about $900+ shipped. Save yourself $400 and get a Burny. Then you'll have a better guitar and an extra $400.

Megadeth7684":b415f said:

That one I had was about $900+ shipped. Save yourself $400 and get a Burny. Then you'll have a better guitar and an extra $400.

I'm sorry man but I have to call uninformed bullshit on this one. Way to make a blanket statement. I own a an Edwards laquer taste SG that I bought with the headstock broken off, even after a headstock repair it spanks the 15 or so gibson SG's that I've played, hell I even own a Gibson SG. I'm not even getting into the Gibson debate they make some nice guitars when they're right but that's beside the point. The truth is that I love Japanese guitars and I've played several burny's and many other "lawsuit" models that were made in the same factory. I own a 78 LP copy that was made in the matsumoku<sp? factory in Japan where some of the best Japanese guitars were ever made. You're calling out a whole line of guitars when you played one of the lower models, my Edwards SG has so much resonance that it shakes your chest when you play it sitting down, the fretwork and attention to detail is top notch. I'd dare to say that Edwards makes the best gibson you can buy for the money, if I was buying sight unseen I'd pick an Edwards every time over just about anything in it's part of the market. I own one and have played several more along with many other Japanese guitars including your beloved Caparisons. The Caparison was nice, it was a custom shop model built for an endorsed artist but I must say that is wasn't god's gift of the fretted instrument like you try to make them out to be. Stating an opinion is one thing but it's a good thing to be informed before you spout off about how a whole brand sucks. I'm really not trying to be a dick but it's really annoying to see you act as if "oh I didn't dig the one I tried so they all must totally blow dood!" rant over

SgtThump":e1fa8 said:

Given your limited experience with Les Paul style guitars, the fact you only played one Edwards, and your need to have different opinions than everyone else, I'd say you're not really qualified to talk about Edwards guitars.

I've owned tons of Les Pauls (and other guitars) and I know what I'm talking about when it comes to that style of guitar and trust me, the Edwards guitars (Laquer Taste series) are freaking awesome.

Word! :thumbsup:

There are Nitro Edward LPS all over Ebay right now for around $700 brand new, not sure about this $900 line :confused:

There is a Page Edwards listed under ESP for under $900.

Man this function follows form thinking is pretty scary.

Digital Jams":fcf64 said:
There are Nitro Edward LPS all over Ebay right now for around $700 brand new, not sure about this $900 line :confused:

There is a Page Edwards listed under ESP for under $900.

Man this function follows form thinking is pretty scary.

Find me an Laquer Taste Series LP copy in lefty! I havent been able to find one myself. :gethim:

Back