Palm mute tone

Sam Laming

Hey guys

I trying to get a sound doing palm mutes, the main thing I want is the 'scorchingness' of it, if that makes sence to anyone

I hope that made sence. This song's called An Autopsy:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=3533294

At about 2:2 demonstrates the sound, it just sounds like gain is on 11 but I try it on my Herbert and it doesn't cut, Herbert can't do this sound? :eek:

I'm sure the Herbert can come close enough, though I'd think a lot of that sound has to do with multitracking and mixing also. And damn you for making me listen to that, lol. :p

Sorry buddy :p

Yeah I'm very certain they heavily mix their sound but I don't get that utter killing distortion sound.

Hmmmmm think I'll post this in the Diezel forum too...

If I were to take a stab at it, I would guess lots of gain, lots of tracks, and lots of post-EQ. My recto can do similar palm-mutes like that when boosted. The bass response on that amp is just huge, and it loves that low B on my 7s.

Yeah, I'm playing a 7 and 63-strat, it's not that I don't like it, it's that after hearing that clip I want that sound :D

You can have the same tone as well if you go into a recording studio and plop down lots of $. ;)

:|::QBB:
Sam Laming":0ce6d said:
Yeah, I'm playing a 7 and 63-strat, it's not that I don't like it, it's that after hearing that clip I want that sound :D

Well I think its gonna be tough to get that exact sound live, but I'd try boosting it and see what sort of results you can get. So long as you're right hand technique is good and strong, I'd think the Herbert would get you close enough. I'd think using as little gain as you can get away with for that style while using a boost would be worth trying.

Sam Laming":b4d8d said:
Hey guys

I trying to get a sound doing palm mutes, the main thing I want is the 'scorchingness' of it, if that makes sence to anyone

I hope that made sence. This song's called An Autopsy:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=3533294

At about 2:2 demonstrates the sound, it just sounds like gain is on 11 but I try it on my Herbert and it doesn't cut, Herbert can't do this sound? :eek:

I can't help with the tones, but I like that dude's lead style in that song!

You have to keep in mind that it's two guitarists playing the same part, and also probably double tracked on top of that. So that's like 4 people all playing it, plus the bass and bass drum synced up with it.

In reality, the actual guitar by itself may be what people might call "thin" or "weak." It didn't sound like there was really much bass at all there in the guitars. A decent amount of mids and a bit more emphasis on the highs. It certainly sounds like there's a lot of distortion.

Thanks for the help everyone and Brent JR, don't you just love it? :D

So basically get a boost to do the distortion + I don't have the money to go into a really flash studio and edit my tone lots is the general conclusion?

Thought I'd chime in, my palm muting sounds come out spectacular when I record 4 separate tracks of it.

I have to say though, I really like this band, then again I love Tech Death anyway :D

OneArmedScissor":d179d said:
You have to keep in mind that it's two guitarists playing the same part, and also probably double tracked on top of that. So that's like 4 people all playing it, plus the bass and bass drum synced up with it.

In reality, the actual guitar by itself may be what people might call "thin" or "weak." It didn't sound like there was really much bass at all there in the guitars. A decent amount of mids and a bit more emphasis on the highs. It certainly sounds like there's a lot of distortion.

+1 The bass does a whole lot for it, fills in anything hollow. http://www.myspace.com/windsofplague Winds of Plague does a good job mixing the bass in for a thick palm mute sound, check out "Anthems of the Apocalypse"

stuh84":dfcbb said:
Thought I'd chime in, my palm muting sounds come out spectacular when I record 4 separate tracks of it.

I have to say though, I really like this band, then again I love Tech Death anyway :D

Check out Necrophagist, Nile's up coming album and Sikth (Sikth aren't death metal but some of the techest stuff you'll hear).

vultures":dfcbb said:

+1 The bass does a whole lot for it, fills in anything hollow. http://www.myspace.com/windsofplague Winds of Plague does a good job mixing the bass in for a thick palm mute sound, check out "Anthems of the Apocalypse"

My computer's being a schlag and the players not working so I tryed the video below and I understand what your saying better now :thumbsup: managed to tweak my sound a bit better this morning too :)

Awesome man, listening to some Sikth right now, going to make a tab website for them soon as I spend quite abit of my tabbing time on them, working on As The Earth Spins Round at the moment :S it's fucking mathmatical music, those guys ARE robots, going to see them July the 7th, you going dude?

I'm seeing em on July the 22nd, they are doing a mini festival near where I live at a venue, a few decent support bands plus SiKth themselves.....its gonna be fun :)

Ahhhh right, well good, well I shant see you London then but enjoy!.. make the most of it becoase (I'm hoping this is bullshit) but someone I know says they might break up in the near future (he says his dad's uncles blah blahs blah = the manager.) :cry: really hope that's bullshit.

I wouldn't expect that to happen, they seem to be so close to hitting it big to be honest, but you never know, stranger things have happened.....

Back