I played a JVM at GC in Las Vegas today!!

triplexpete

Was very disappointed! The od 2 channel pales in comparison to my splawn quickrod w 3rd gear.I was hoping the JVM would slay it, but..after playing it for a half hour the $1,750 price tag is not "all that." -I'll wait for Mark cameron's head to come out!-Pete

Hey man that's cool that you have something you like. I'll bet Mark's amps are gonna be incredible. Personally I love the JVM and rate it much higher than the Splawn Competition I used to own.

:|::QBB:
yngzaklynch":55060 said:
Hey man that's cool that you have something you like. I'll bet Mark's amps are gonna be incredible. Personally I love the JVM and rate it much higher than the Splawn Competition I used to own.
To be honest with you the splawn quickrod is cool but...I'm eyeing a diesel einstein, or like I said maybe a cameron head.But..who knows if I had my guitar w/ my pickups ,I might have a different opinion on the JVM.I might try it that way tomorrow-Pete

Digital Jams":cc2d0 said:
If you enjoy your Splawn that much more that the JVM I am thinking you are not going to like the Cameron.

Really? you think so? I would think the Cameron and Splawn would be closer cousins than the JVM and Cameron....

* velcro-fly *":20932 said:

The Splawn is not even in the Cameron ballpark...really.

Steve E

I've owned both. The Splawn and Cameron both do hot marshall tones. How are they not in the same ballpark?

I find them more tonally similar than either one would be, to the JVM.

Of the 3 (I owned a JVM too), I liked them in this order: Cameron, Splawn, JVM.

I would never dismiss an amp by what it sounded like at a music store, especially a GC...I have to spend time with an amp before I can dismiss it. I'm not saying that because I have a JVM and love it, I would say that about any amp... :)

triplexpete":2104f said:
Was very disappointed! The od 2 channel pales in comparison to my splawn quickrod w 3rd gear.I was hoping the JVM would slay it, but..after playing it for a half hour the $1,750 price tag is not "all that." -I'll wait for Mark cameron's head to come out!-Pete

Tone is always subjective. The JVM is far more versatile while the Splawn is better built. Some guys get tired real fast of the Splawn aggressive mids. I feel the JVM has a MUCH better master volume, the SPlawn goes from off to stage volume like a lightswitch. The clean and crunch tones i feel are much better on the JVM.

I had a JVM but i only sold it to pay off some bills. BUT, before i think about buying anything I'll have to play the Cameron. Can't wait for MAY 5th. :D

dannyneo and kilelrtone I agree with you both.It was just my first half-hour observation of the JVM.I need more "lab-time" with it! LOL-Pete. Ps I didn't mean to "dog" the jvmat all!

I think of amps as tools and the JVM will cover more Marshall ground than any other single amp out there. Killer tool with killer tone...........John

I'm not totally discounting the JVM just didn't hear the baby Jesus tones when I played one either, didn't make me want to get rid of my DSL.

PickAttack":834ce said:
I'm not totally discounting the JVM just didn't hear the baby Jesus tones when I played one either, didn't make me want to get rid of my DSL.
I had a TSL 100 for a couple years...I really liked it and I tried another one a few weeks ago..I still like them. But they don't really sound the same to my ears. I played my JVM right after the TSL and the JVM is meaner, edgy, more aggressive tone along the lines of JCM 800.
The JVM would have been the perfect high gainer for me if it were clearer and had a good depth control. New Cameron or that new Fuchs Frost 100 might be more refined JVM style tone. If I could have afforded to keep JVM, I would have, though. I wish I were a rich bloke. :aww:

PickAttack":87a8b said:

SteveVHT told me a friend of his has a DSL and this guy really knows how to dial it in. He reported not hearing that much of a difference between the DSL and JVM.

danyeo":8c1b9 said:

SteveVHT told me a friend of his has a DSL and this guy really knows how to dial it in. He reported not hearing that much of a difference between the DSL and JVM.

If you are talking about the guy who I think you are there would be little difference in tone between the two because of the way he sets up his amps. He uses the o/p section instead of the preamp section and tends to go for o/p tube breakup with very little preamp. In all honesty, he makes most any amp sound the same because of the way he dials it in but he does get a killer tone for sure!
That said, There is a HUGE difference in tone between a JVM and DSL/TSL.

danyeo":967f3 said:

I've always heard the DSL's were hot or cold in regards to tone, I guess I have one of the good ones.
The tones I'm looking for in a Marshall are all there.

Gainfreak":f03b5 said:

If you are talking about the guy who I think you are there would be little difference in tone between the two because of the way he sets up his amps. He uses the o/p section instead of the preamp section and tends to go for o/p tube breakup with very little preamp. In all honesty, he makes most any amp sound the same because of the way he dials it in but he does get a killer tone for sure!
That said, There is a HUGE difference in tone between a JVM and DSL/TSL.

That explains it better. You know i was in a band years ago with a guy who was a diehard JCM800 user. He would stick by marshall till he was blue in the face. But, he set his JCM800 for a clean tone and used some really old Ibanez preamp to boost it. It was funny when he was forced to use a Randall SS head and he set it up the same way and got exactly the same tone he always got.

danyeo":89e76 said:

That explains it better. You know i was in a band years ago with a guy who was a diehard JCM800 user. He would stick by marshall till he was blue in the face. But, he set his JCM800 for a clean tone and used some really old Ibanez preamp to boost it. It was funny when he was forced to use a Randall SS head and he set it up the same way and got exactly the same tone he always got.

I hear you and that's why I commented!! I know who Steve is talking about and he dials in all of his amps the same way. To echo what you are saying, the guy in question uses an Orange amp for his tone, but he uses a box for the dirty sound. As you may have figured by now, orange amps don't need a box to get distortion but he uses the amp on semi clean with the box. To be honest with you, his tone kills that way but the sound isnt comming from the amp. It's very Brown sounding!

triplexpete":115ff said:
:|::QBB: To be honest with you the splawn quickrod is cool but...I'm eyeing a diesel einstein, or like I said maybe a cameron head.But..who knows if I had my guitar w/ my pickups ,I might have a different opinion on the JVM.I might try it that way tomorrow-Pete
I have Einstein..fantastic tones but limited features. It's not really an aggressive tone like JVM- more smooth and not as tight. It can do brutal detuned riffs with depth control turned way up but for aggressive shred lead playing the JVM is a better choice. Einstein sounds like it can't quite keep up when I'm doing the speed demon shredding. It sure has beautiful tone, though.

You definitely need to spend quality time with these amps to tweak them to their full advantage. It took me a couple of weeks with JVM to get the most I could and I am still tweaking Einstein after 8 months. These amps deserve more than a 5 minute playtime at GC, I can tell you that.

Back