Jimi Hendrix BOG--Fillmore East

Mike_V

Banned
I was 16. It was a frigid afternoon 31 December 1969. I sat in my house listening to some good band—maybe The Who, thinking that here it was New Years Eve, and I didn’t have anything to do and nowhere to go. The wind was howling and you could feel snow in the air (on Long Island you could feel when it was going to snow).

I make a phone call to my drummer, a 14-year-old red headed kid named Billy Jones, this kid hit hard. Billy was an aggressive kid who was always in trouble. He wasn’t afraid of anything and was adventurous and his parents never paid attention to him. Ring, ring—Billy picks up the phone, I ask him what he’s doing and he says nothing. I say great, get your ass over here now, we are taking the Long Island Railroad into Manhattan to see Jimi Hendrix.

He gets to my house later than I expected him to arrive—he said he had a hard time riding his bike in the snow so it took him longer than usual. I thought to myself that we would never make it into Penn Station then subway down to 2nd Ave and 4th Street on time to see the first Hendrix performance of the evening that started at 7:00PM. LATE SHOW!!!

The Fillmore always had two shows of the same exact act on Friday and Saturdays. The bands would start at 7, do their show, then to a different audience come back at 11:00 and perform the same show over again. Bill Graham made more money that way.

I tell my parents I am sleeping over Billy’s house, he tells his mom he is sleeping at my house (his dad was a drunk and was never home and didn’t care) and off we go—train into Penn Station from Bethpage—45 minutes later the train zooms under the East River and pulls into Penn Station. We climb the stairs to the street (Penn Station is underground, NYC is so cool) back down the stairs to a subway and down to 2nd Ave—we had to walk to 4th street. This part of the city always scared me—lots of trouble.

It was dark and cold as we walked faster than we ever walked before, it was cold—we cross St Marx place and there is the Fillmore marquee—Hendrix BOG it read, 7 and 11.

The early show wasn’t out yet. We go to the ticket window and buy tickets, 4 dollars a piece, first row, first balcony upstairs, my favorite vantage point in the theater right above the America flag (I can be seen in a photo in the liner notes). You hung right over the stage in the first balcony and could only see like the first 2 rows downstairs. Its not like today with all these sellouts and shit, standing on line for hours trying to buy a ticket for Dave Matthews.

We run up the stairs of the smoke filled old movie theater (you could smoke everywhere in those day) and rushed to our seat—ah, Jimi Hendrix—The Joshua Light show was very cool. Jimi blew us both away. Best evening of my life.

We get home 6:00 in the morning, sneak into our houses and noone ever knows we were gone.

I wish I was back in those days…

:|::QBB:
tjon":9167a said:
how about the allman brothers at the fillmore east?

Funny you should mention it.

I was there too, on my 18th birthday 3/12/71.

Also was there for Humble Pie Rockin the Fillmore and John Mayalls Turning Point record.

carlygtr56":effc3 said:

I was a little too young and probably never heard of Hendrix at that point.
My first concert was a year later, The Who at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium, July, '71

A bit earlier my mother wouldn't let me go see the Humble Pie/ Grand Funk at Shea Stadium show.

I saw Borg and Connors there around 1975 (Forrest Hills). Horseshoe shaped stadium. I went to the US Open every year until I moved to Florida in 1992 and my life ended.

griff10672":bb1d4 said:
Love the avatar ...

how many Zappa shows have you attended ??

Can't count them on 10 fingers.

:)

I also hold the Long Island record for most times seeing the ABB--26 times. And ALL before Duane died.

very cool man
I saw Randy rhoades with Ozzy ,
Thin Lizzy with scotty Gorham and brian Robertson ,
Bostons first headline tour at MSG
Led Zep with Bonham
Kiss the original in 76
Sabbath with Ozzy , Dio , Glenn Hughes

I always missed Blackmore , I saw DP with Tommy Bolin then with steve Morse

Rockin the fillmore Humble Pie thats fucking awsome dude. :thumbsup:

I think that is one of the good things about being around for a long time. You get to see alot of cool things. I sa Hendrix in 69. I was 19. Very cool and one of the best shows ever. He is missed and was certainly a gift to our times and our music experience.

bill":f2e24 said:
I think that is one of the good things about being around for a long time. You get to see alot of cool things. I sa Hendrix in 69. I was 19. Very cool and one of the best shows ever. He is missed and was certainly a gift to our times and our music experience.

I hear ya Bill--it was great being a teenager in the 60s--I saw the Beatles at Shea and The Who smash their equipment to pieces at a little joint called at the time Westbury Music Fair in 1966-67. Not sure the place is still there. Carl would know. Where is he anyway? Oh--and then there was Woodstock, the start of it all. I was shoeless and full of mud for 3 days...

bill":b9e8e said:
I went to the Atlantic City Pop Festival instead who knew?

True--then there was Watkins Glen and the Randalls Island Festival (New York Pop, Downing Stadium) with Grand Funk, Steppenwolf, Tull, Hendrix as the sun was rising. To be a kid again <sigh>

Its tough being a 17 year old trapped in a 57 year old body. I keep hurting myself. Still hitting the surf but usually the oldest in the lineup. Still plasying too. My wife saw most of the big name bands from the Bowie era like Bad Co T Rex Bowie etc Wish I had seen T Rex those guys rocked. We still go to shows, just saw Los Lobos las month in Philly.

bill":2e232 said:
Its tough being a 17 year old trapped in a 57 year old body. I keep hurting myself. Still hitting the surf but usually the oldest in the lineup. Still plasying too. My wife saw most of the big name bands from the Bowie era like Bad Co T Rex Bowie etc Wish I had seen T Rex those guys rocked. We still go to shows, just saw Los Lobos las month in Philly.

Yep--same here--trapped in this old rotting body and I just had brain surgery--I am retiring next week at 54. Next friday is my last day of work forever.

I still go to a lot of shows too--with my 27 YO son mainly since my wife split 10 years ago. My son plays, and is in a gigging band and is into all the old stuff as well as the new junk. Nice to have a kid to re-live your life through, kinda. At least he keeps the flame lit for music for me. He has a show Saturday--gives me something to look forward to.

That gear list below we call OUR STUFF! He uses it more than I do--I cant play anymore. My left arm and hand are partially paralysed since the surgery. No coordination left in them.

My son has my 79 strat and my 72 D-28S Martin. His band (woman) plays at the Kyber Pass Sunday night in Philly.

Those were fun times but kinda scary with all the drugs and craziness. I gave my life to Jesus in 73 and he fixed the stuff that was wrong with me. I made it out only by his grace.

bill":935ff said:
Those were fun times but kinda scary with all the drugs and craziness. I gave my life to Jesus in 73 and he fixed the stuff that was wrong with me. I made it out only by his grace.

'73?....Shoot, you gave up early..

Just kidding, thats great and you're right about being "scary".

Back