Good metal pickup for alder bodied guitar?

Jbone

Alder bodied superstrat, maple neck, floyd. Whats a good pickup for down tuned metal, keep stuff tight in the bass without sounding brittle, nice thick mids, and something with good harmonics. Thanks

EMG81 + alder = thin, harsh tone

The 85 sounds better in alder, but I don't care for EMG's in general. I would go with a Duncan Custom.

:|::QBB:
Megadeth7684":c647d said:
EMG81 + alder = thin, harsh tone

The 85 sounds better in alder, but I don't care for EMG's in general. I would go with a Duncan Custom.

:eek:

I think the custom is terrible for metal.

Then again, what kind of metal. Certian pickups may be better for lower tuning stuff.

flying_high":17aea said:

:eek:

I think the custom is terrible for metal.

Then again, what kind of metal. Certian pickups may be better for lower tuning stuff.

I had one in my alder body Vigier and it sounded awesome in E and B tuning. It kinda reminded me of a JB with a smoother top end and a bit more low end. I thought it sounded great, the guitar could have been a big factor though.

imo, i don't think you can go wrong with an emg for downtuned metal. there are other good pups for metal, but an emg will be tight, and focused; and have a good output for metal. i have also used a dimarzio evo in my les paul with good results. alot of it depends on the guitar, and what pup will sound good in it.

DiMarzio X2N. It's amazing, it rips, tears,shreds,cuts through everything. Has a nice balance to it with a bit of upper mid/treble cut, but not as much as a JB.

If money isn't an issue go Bareknuckle. If it is go EMG. I have an alder body guitar with an 81 in the bridge. I'm not the hugest EMG fan, but it freaking rips. Does everything you said you want. My guitar has a rosewood board so that should help warm up the sound some, but even if yours is maple I can't see that being too big an issue.

Back