Initial Peters JP-50 review

stratotone

Ok, haven't had it long, but played with it a few hours. 50 watt one channel amp, four modes that go from slight breakup to high gain mayhem. Fx loop, external biasing, can run everything from 6V6s to KT88s.

First off, amp is a lot more versatile than you'd think. No, you can't footswitch it, but it holds a weird ground when you crank the gain. It has the clarity of the VHT I just sold, but more of a soldano feel and tone. If anything I'd have to compare it to a Soldano Avenger without the gut-churning lows. I'm going to talk to James about the amp soon and see about putting a depth control on the amp. It has a damping control, but it doesn't seem to add lows as much as tightness, if that makes sense.

Build quality is first rate. Turret board construction, VERY clean build, he used bolts to secure the chassis to the headshell that are bigger than the ones that held the seat of my '78 Trans Am in place.

Amp sounds great, still getting to know it but it's easily capable of high gain destruction with great note definition to a vintage marshall type tone, without the mud. Really, it reminds me of a VHT/Soldano/Marshall blend, with an EQ that works well and a preamp that cleans up pretty well. Haven't thrown the EJ strat at it yet, just a DiMarzio equipped 570RG and the Brad Gillis sig strat.

Only downside is that one of the modes has some oscillation, I'm wagering something came loose in shipping. No big deal, the amp is built to the 9th degree and I'll troubleshoot it with James. Checked all the tubes and they were ok. Something went microphonic, wonder if it was a capacitor?

Anyways, so far, huge thumbs up! I know James says that his new designs are even better, which amazes me. Other than my desire for another channel, this amp is superb.

Pete

I really want to try SteveVHT's out since RVS put out so many killer clips with it.

Glad you like it Pete, they sound like great amps.

cool....I remember somone on here doing some clips of one of James' amp and it sounded stellar. always wanted to try one.

sounds damn cool man. Has it gotten in a fight with the fab yet? Do you put those two in the same room even?

The Fab tried to commit suicide when the Peters amp arrived in my AmpCave. :)

I may have to take a pic of the two together later. :D

I just got the Warhawk/Aurora Halo one that was for sale and think I have some of the same issues you do.
I'll post more later. Great overall amp - just needs some fine tuning.

FYI, I don't think the amp needs any fine tuning, just got off the phone with James and this particular amp has been shipped a LOT lately. Most likely it's a ceramic cap that went microphonic, I'll probably pull it this evening.

Stuff like this can happen to any amp, and I certainly don't want anyone to think that it's a flaw in James' design or build quality. This is the best built amp I've owned, but you can't make everything 100% FedEx proof all the time.

Pete

:|::QBB:
Drkorey":e46c1 said:
I just got the Warhawk/Aurora Halo one that was for sale and think I have some of the same issues you do.
I'll post more later. Great overall amp - just needs some fine tuning.

If you have an issue with microphonics, be sure to replace your tubes before suspecting anything else. It's far more likely to be that. Also be sure that you're not standing too close to the amp with your guitar, that your guitar itself doesn't have microphonic pickups, you're not otherwise encouraging feedback (or have suspect cables) etc.

With Pete it was pretty clear that something was amiss inside the amp because he eliminated cables/guitars/tubes as suspects and got it nailed down to a very specific circumstance.

I should also mention that your amp is designed very differently from the one Pete owns, so it's extremely unlikely you're having the same issue.

Thanks - no prob :) I'll try to trouble shoot some things and talk to you more later.
This amp definately siiings - one of the best lead amps I've played. I just need to learn to fine tune it for rythym.

stratotone":5ff9c said:
The Fab tried to commit suicide when the Peters amp arrived in my AmpCave. :)

I may have to take a pic of the two together later. :D

did it start an electrical fire with itself?

wait, does it do that when it's working correctly? If so would suicide mean no fire hazards?

Mike_V":44663 said:
I am understanding that this guy James, makes a killer amp. Any clips anywhere?

Once things get sussed out (and James sent me not only instructions for what part can be changed, but a freakin' photoshop diagram of the amp guts so it's a total no brainer for me to do) - I'll post some. If anyone likes the clips though, remember that this was an old design. It sure is sweet though... James says his new ones are even better, which kinda scares me. This amp is sonic crack so far!

Pete

Back