pickups for a guitar with dead sounding wood?

:|::QBB:
SHAWN":3d727 said:
look at my first post in this thread. 300 guitar/ 3000 amp vs. 3000 guitar with 300 amp. from there i dont know

Well there we go. You make it sound as though the cost of the guitar determines its sound quality, as well as the amp's. That was mistake #1. It can. But it doesn't always. It's not about the cost, it's about how it sounds.

I'd give the Duncan Distortion a shot. Relatively inexpensive and has a great round tone. It has the attack and the thump of the Gibson 500T but isn't as scooped. The mid's are punchy but smooth. Hope that helps!

This dude Shawn reminds me of another guy in the way he tries to get his point across, not saying an alt monikor or HCAF insurgent, he just reminds of another person :)

SHAWN":141b7 said:
fuck you youre an idiot. i never said wood doesnt matter. the guy eventually comes out and says the pickups are emg`s. for christ sake the fuckn the battery could be dieing. i have some guitars also. i never said that wood doesnt matter but an excellent amp will do more for an electric than electric guitar unplugged. i dont care how much you like to hear it ring/resonate etc. sitting bedroom unplugged. wtf? then all you guys talk about are active pickups and wanting to hear the wood resonate. get real nigga

sandinmycx2.jpg

look i am not going argue with you about this anymore. give me any decent guitar into a good amp and i will get the job done. thats why i feel the way i do about this. i will let this go

Digital Jams":c3359 said:
This dude Shawn reminds me of another guy in the way he tries to get his point across, not saying an alt monikor or HCAF insurgent, he just reminds of another person :)
A guy that sits by his pool all day, drinking beer, surfing the internet on a laptop?

Digital Jams":f12e6 said:

I am not.......

Ditching my high gain amps

Blocking all of my trems

raising my action

buying single channel pedal amps

:P :D
You liking the trem blocked?

Everything seems out of tune when it's floating for me...ham-fisted. :D

SgtThump":d9faa said:
And by the way, my avatar kicks butt. Took that pic today.

This is off-topic, but DAMN! Those are a couple of badass Pauls! I'm currently playing a DC standard, which I love, but my future holds a Black Custom! There is just no substitute!

SHAWN":d9b48 said:
look i am not going argue with you about this anymore. give me any decent guitar into a good amp and i will get the job done. thats why i feel the way i do about this. i will let this go

To be honest, I never wanted to argue until I read how insistent you were that the guitar's resonance didn't matter because it was all about the amp.

I have more than enough proof otherwise, including a $200 guitar I just bought which is amazing sounding coincidentally only (I'm sure Squier didn't intentionally make this guitar so amazing sounding for that price, lol!) because of its specific cuts of wood. And I even narrowed it down to its specific neck, having temporarily swapped necks on it with another Squier (with the same neck type, maple with rosewood board); this guitar has a "magic neck". The wood type doesn't even matter as much as the exact cuts of wood used, and this "Chinese POS" is solid proof.

And believe me, I only WISH the amp had much more to do with it, that the guitar could be "a Kleenex box with strings and a pickup". :) I make amps for a living, and I'd love to claim that I can make any guitar sound amazing through my amps. But I know the limits of what I can do with an amp, which is amplifying a guitar. Because of this I've had to give far more disclaimers about how a person can't expect to get a perfect EVH sound, EJ sound, SRV sound etc. even if they think their guitar "should" just because it looks like the guitar those artists used. I wish I could promise that; I'd make a lot more sales. :) But I can't, not in good conscience.

So that's why I feel so strongly about what I do, and will not be side-tracked in an argument about it by any means--insults, name-dropping, circular logic, what have you. I can let this go too, and I don't want to be your enemy.

Digital Jams":709ec said:
Come on Mr Scissors......I am sure if you really thought about this :)

I thought you said it was someone from HC at first, so that threw me off. I believe I know who you are alluding to, but I don't think that's who it is. Mr. Thump says he knows him.

The Big Snit":dd71e said:
:|::QBB:SHAWN says that guitar wood doesn't matter in your tone, your amp only does.

People are saying (not just James) that is wrong.

SHAWN feels pwnd and hates Canadians

Shawn needs to fucking stay on topic and stop beeing a little pussy. The question was... Can you change pickups for a guitar with dead sounding wood. What Shawn doesn't know is that if you play a dead guitar through a decent amp. the sound is still dull. Take a really resonant guitar through that same amp and bingo..... Mojo Tone. If you get a beat sounding guitar no pickup will make it resonate better. It can improve the tone a bit , but you will always have a dead sounding guitar.... Whether or not Shawn can hear the differance or remain on topic remains to be seen.

I love the look of spalted maple, but I'd probably never buy a guitar made with it. That could be your problem right there. this thread got so long-is that what you said it was made of?

Back